Home Precious Metals
Options

I love stories like this

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing.... I have heard the second story before... never did hear the outcome. The piano story is new to me... not sure why they turned the hoard over to antiquities.... seems like they had legal claim. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stories, both of them. Why does the Crown have a claim just because they passed a law? I would assume that it would be taxable but not forfeit-able. Shame. Finders get nothing. Why do people open their mouths? Have you never hidden a "hoard" hoping that someone will find it decades later and be pleasantly surprised? I've put caches in walls, hidden and buried my old childhood toy cars and done many such things hoping that whoever finds them someday has a blast and maybe even makes some money. Perhaps this "hoard" was peanuts to the owner.
    Who knows.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan went on a trip over there treasure hunting a few years ago. Maybe he can shed some light on the rules over there.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loose lips sink ships.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I metal detect...(not as much last year as I would have liked)...but I am a cache hunter... I do not do parks etc. looking for coins (that is fun, but I like mysteries and research). I live in a historic area (back to early 1600's) and there are many old cellar holes, stone walls etc. in the mountains here. Research often yields interesting information - and banks were NOT a big thing back then. Major rule of cache hunters - NEVER TALK ABOUT YOUR FINDS!! It is amazing how if word gets out, how claims will come out of nowhere... just people wanting to claim a piece - or all - of the find, that may have lain hidden for 300+ years. Nope, no one needs to know.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, people need to be quiet and just enjoys their finds.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

;) SHHHHHHHHH ;)