Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone seen the first 2017 Mint offering of ATB quarters? Effigy Mounds National Monument

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2017 2:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm sure the artist had a difficult time capturing the essence of Effigy Mounds' 'Marching Bears' on the coin.

In my opinion, this quarter may be in competition for Wyoming ugly status.

Please help me see the light.

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a TeleTubby pet cemetery.

Maybe old George on one side and an eagle on the other is good enough. To much of a good thing isn't a good thing in this case.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't I hear someone name this the "Animal Cracker" quarter?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

meh
    not so bad

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was unaware of the existence of this monument and now I am. Job accomplished.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh. I looked up the location, and I was actually at this place when I was camping along the Mississippi near Prarie du Chien when I was in college.

I remember the heavy thunderstorms that knocked the tent down one night (we slept in the car), but the National Monument? Not so much. I remember the mounds, but didn't even know it was a National Monument.

The Devil Went Down To Georgia was a brand new tune when I was there, so that might give you a timeframe of when that was...

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

@Eagleguy said:
    I was unaware of the existence of this monument and now I am. Job accomplished.

I agree. It might not be the prettiest coin ever struck but not the worst either.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Ha, I thought they looked like animal crackers as well. However, it really did inform me about a monument I new nothing about. Pretty neat, although the artist could have tried a little harder. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

-Stevo

Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly I would not term it 'ugly'...not sure how else the artist could have depicted the effigy monuments... Looks ok to me... Cheers, RickO

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 1:44PM

As ricko pointed out... the artist has to deal with the source material. Sure the coin design looks a bit silly to some, but that's pretty much what these mounds really look like.

I can think of a few worse ATB designs. Of the top of my head, the first one to come out, the Hot Springs quarter that had an image of the park headquarters with a fountain? Seriously... is that the best thing there is at that park?

Or how about the Everglades and Bombay Hook quarters having almost the exact same design... how the heck does that happen?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    As ricko pointed out... the artist has to deal with the source material. Sure the coin design looks a bit silly to some, but that's pretty much what these mounds really look like.

I can think of a few worse ATB designs. Of the top of my head, the first one to come out, the Hot Springs quarter that had an image of the park headquarters with a fountain? Seriously... is that the best thing there is at that park?

Or how about the Everglades and Kisatchie quarters having almost the exact same design... how the heck does that happen?

Besides the fact that they both depict birds, I don't think they are even close to exact.
    The turkey in flight on the Kisatchie coin is a fantastic design-one of the best in the series.
    But then again, I am rather fond of birds so I may be biased. :)

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Why the satellite pic showing the scale / size wasn't used. Who knows. It's upland Wisconsin culture in 300 AD, Across the Mississippi .

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@illini420 said:

Or how about the Everglades and Kisatchie quarters having almost the exact same design... how the heck does that happen?

Besides the fact that they both depict birds, I don't think they are even close to exact.
    The turkey in flight on the Kisatchie coin is a fantastic design-one of the best in the series.

I knew I should have double checked instead of going by memory.

I meant Everglades and Bombay Hook. They are the two, sorry!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a marshmallow pony, bear and dolphin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Iowa dolphins are a rare breed.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

@mannie gray said:

@illini420 said:

I knew I should have double checked instead of going by memory.

I meant Everglades and Bombay Hook. They are the two, sorry!

I agree with you about those two, although since they depict birds, they are OK in my book!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file