Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Gamble (Close Up Posted)

AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2017 10:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked this up a few years ago site unseen by only this cell phone pic below I paid a premium... Who out there has done such a thing and made out pretty good? If you have pics of your results please post them...
I will follow up in a day or so with my quality closeup pics....

AB

Comments

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it has that 'pull-away' toning under the date and some of the stars. Can't wait to see your quality pics!

Jeff

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

How a Stunner like that doesn't automatically get passed to the TrueView department is highway robbery in the eyes of any true Collector ;)

...but money talks and.....AND that baby should still have a TV ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like another for your sunrise to sunset collection Wayne...... Cheers, RickO

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 6:07AM

As long as there's a return/refund option it's always worth taking the gamble.

Just one that I'm remembering right now.

Bought about a decade ago with no supplied images and a not much of a description.

1841 Daniel Webster Credit Current / Millions For Defence, Low-58, Rulau HT-16, DeWitt-CE-1838-8, Rarity-2

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks awesome!!

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet that one will look awesome in hand! I've taken a gamble on images like that in the past, you can usually get a feel when there is something 'special' about the coin, especially if already graded.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you got pics of it AB, please post them. It looks pretty good in the first pic.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even from that picture, I don't think it was too much of a gamble...depending on how much of a premium you paid...
    I can see the lusterand what looks like reds and greens (maybe a little yellow?).

Looks pretty damn nice even in that picture. Can't wait until we see your better pic!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Man, that's slow shipping!

Looking forward to seeing the quality pics. :+1:

No kidding! 3 years to ship is a bit slow, but as long as it finally arrived. You have the patience of a saint to wait that long. :D

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, you have a great eye for these! :love:

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic Morgan. B)
    Looks like a no brainer even with the uber crappy cell phone images.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

And an amazing grade to boot! What a sweet coin!

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • rainbowlover1rainbowlover1 Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 6:41PM

Outstanding Moose !!!
    Those colors are phenomenal :)
    And in a 67
    Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Rainbowlover1
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I like the cell phone pic.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have taken a shot for a "premium" based on the cell phone pic. It's a wild colored coin....though if it were just white it would have probably graded no higher than 66.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you guys enjoyed the coin... Obviously I did like the cell phone image enough to lay out for the coin by that view alone but something no one has mentioned that was a real worry to me... If you look closely towards the bottom of the bonnet in the cell phone pic there is an obvious black spot... I hate carbon on any coin and enough so that I have passed, on several Monster Toners in the past because of carbon and in the cell phone pic it looked like to me that could possibly be carbon... I was very happy when the coin arrived and my eyes went straight to that area and there was not anything black at all... Not sure what that was in the cell phone pic that was provided but it is not on the coin... :)
    AB

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice however I'm more impressed by your photo and the 60MM Canon lens.

Which Canon camera do you use?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭

Very Nice!!!!!!

If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wayne, your collection must light up the house on those long, dark nights up north..... ;) Cheers, RickO

edited January 21, 2017 7:29PM

Broadstruck in 2012 my wife surprised me with my new camera when I returned from the FUN show that year... And it is the one i use now a Canon Rebel T2i with a Canon Macro EF-S 60mm and a remote for the shutter... It is already outdated... :) But I am used to it and it does pretty good... Also helps when a coin such as this is cooperative... :)
    Thank you Art!
    Rick they help for sure! In more ways then one... :)

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way I interpret the cell phone picture makes me think the coin would be fabulous and your subsequent images confirm that thought.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Even from that picture, I don't think it was too much of a gamble...depending on how much of a premium you paid...
    I can see the lusterand what looks like reds and greens (maybe a little yellow?).

Looks pretty damn nice even in that picture. Can't wait until we see your better pic!

Yes, this one does not look like too big of a gamble...

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The way I interpret the cell phone picture makes me think the coin would be fabulous and your subsequent images confirm that thought.

This, outstanding!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well played AB

Happy New Year

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

More thanks and Happy New Year to you as well Mark...

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuroraBorealis said:
    Glad you guys enjoyed the coin... Obviously I did like the cell phone image enough to lay out for the coin by that view alone but something no one has mentioned that was a real worry to me... If you look closely towards the bottom of the bonnet in the cell phone pic there is an obvious black spot... I hate carbon on any coin and enough so that I have passed, on several Monster Toners in the past because of carbon and in the cell phone pic it looked like to me that could possibly be carbon... I was very happy when the coin arrived and my eyes went straight to that area and there was not anything black at all... Not sure what that was in the cell phone pic that was provided but it is not on the coin... :)
    AB

Sorry, but I think I see the same black spot, but I didn't interpret it as a carbon spot at any time...just a lighting/angle/photo spot.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Fair enough Bochiman good eye...

• gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Looks to me like a potential monster coin from the cell phone picture, and confirmed by the more sophisticated pictures. A simply marvelous coin with with terrific luster, exceptional colors, and the rare MS67 designation from PCGS on a toned Morgan dollar. Congratulations on your savvy gamble.

Thank you Gemtone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file