Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Morgan with damage inside the rim - error?

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, enjoying and learning.

I have here, a plated 1921 Morgan that I purchased, and it has some indentations around the inside of the rim; I am wondering if this is from an error or die damage.

There are also some scrapes that looked like they happened after the plating occurred, coins have a hard life sometimes. The reverse side, however, looks very nice, I will post a picture of that as well.

Thank you for your help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

one more a bit closer up.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!
    It is damage.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Snapcrackler.... Welcome aboard...that is damage... it was once pressed into a belt buckle.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged from use in jewelry or as ricko said a belt buckle.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like there is also some glue residue

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

Post-mint damage and harshly cleaned. What Rick said. Looks like former belt buckle.

Cheers

Bob

• Options

Thanks all.... i rounded up a loupe and looked at it under 50x and there is indeed some translucent epoxy residue as well. You guys nailed it on the head.

Much appreciated

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 10:52AM

Hi and Welcome to School! I say school, because you'll not only be taught in coins but in ethics, manners and in business. I see you are a former lurker. I too, were a lurker before I took the plunge. Your first post of the Morgan Silver Dollar is a wise choice in coins. As a matter of fact, the Morgan Dollar, so happens to be my avatar. The 1921 as well, but a s mint. Continue to post any sort of questions or pictures. Don't be a stranger and most of all, have FUN! Once again, Welcome aboard. Glad to see you on our forum.-joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file