Home U.S. Coin Forum

Common date XF/AU Indian Head Cents

I purchased a few XF/AU Indian head cents tonight at the local coin club for five dollars each, and I really think these coins are a good value for the money. I'm not referring to this particular transaction, but XF/AU common date Indian head cents in general. Growing up as a kid, I had only three Indian Head cents, all of which graded no better than VG-8 with no visible 'Liberty' on the headband. I remember referencing the grading scale listed in the Bluebook along with a grainy image of an Indian Head cent wondering where this enigmatic 'Liberty' was. It wasn't until much later that I finally found an Indian Head cent in VF-20 to add to my collection with a full 'Liberty'. Sure, Indian Head cents from 1900-1908 are common, but for five dollars in XF to AU condition, these are a great buy and they look really sharp, especially after being accustomed to seeing them in Good/Very Good condition for so many years.

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

I like 'em at that level too, and at about that price point. They're fun coins to own. :)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, nice attractive pieces of copper, good design, always popular.
    Don't forget to check for repunched dates!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

IHC's are just really great coins... as a kid, they were not uncommon in change....found many when I was a paperboy... Cheers, RickO

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very undervalued in my opinion. I've bought lots of Indians (in lots), thousands and thousands of them, higher grades were much scarcer than their price would indicate.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, as long as they are ORIGINAL and problem free.
    I recall some years back helping multiple folks to build and upgrade their sets, and some of these are more difficult to locate than the price indicates. I was seeking coins that were brown with traces of original red. Seems like many were dipped 'pink' or had other issues.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file