Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pattern cents in circulation - 1897 ?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2017 7:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This letter might generate some discussion especially among flying eagle cent collectors.

Des Plains, Illinois
April 20, 1897

Dear Sir:

I have in my possession an Eagle penny date 1858, but minted from copper, like an ordinary cent, and not from white nickel. This, and one other, are the only specimens of their kind that I have seen, and I would ask you to kindly inform me whether the issue was a regular one, and whether there is any special value attached to it outside of its intrinsic value.

As I did not known where else to apply for this information, I trust that you will excuse the liberty I have taken and that you will favor me with an answer.

Yours truly,
A. C. Kayser

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad they didn't have X-ray technology back then.

W/O knowing the sophistication of the writer or the appearance of the coin, hard to draw a conclusion.

There have been spectacular incorrect attributions even more recently disproved by testing.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing what comes out of the archives..... and one wonders what 'the rest of the story' was.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Too bad they didn't have X-ray technology back then.

W/O knowing the sophistication of the writer or the appearance of the coin, hard to draw a conclusion.

There have been spectacular incorrect attributions even more recently disproved by testing.

Indeed. Could just be a piece that was buried in the ground for a while and covered with brownish oxidation. I could see finding one accidentally-spent pattern in circulation, but two?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will probably, and unfortunately, never know "the rest of the story."

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "We will probably, and unfortunately, never know 'the rest of the story.' "

At the next opportunity, I plan to check the Mint's "Letters Sent" volumes to see if there was a response. Additionally, this period has considerable depth of retained correspondence. It is common for one file box of 250 letters to be dedicated to a single month. There might be another letter in some subsequent, unsearched box.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file