Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint PR: "New Appointee Joins Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee" ....Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint is pleased to announce the appointment of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC). Mr. Abdul-Jabbar fills the vacancy created this year by the resignation of Steven Roach, a member representing the interests of the general public.

Mr. Abdul-Jabbar, a renowned former professional basketball player who is an avid coin collector, became interested in numismatics based on his love of history and his study of Alexander Hamilton. Currently, he serves as the chairman of his Skyhook Foundation, whose mission is to "Give Kids a Shot That Can't be Blocked" by bringing educational opportunities to under-served communities through innovative outdoor environmental learning. He is also a regular contributing columnist to The Washington Post and Time Magazine, and a best-selling author of literary fiction and non-fiction books. On November 23, 2016, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in recognition of his outspoken advocacy of social justice.

The CCAC, established by an Act of Congress in 2003, advises the Secretary of the Treasury on theme or design proposals relating to circulating coinage, bullion coinage, Congressional Gold Medals and other medals produced by the United States Mint. The CCAC also makes commemorative coin recommendations to the Secretary and advises on the events, persons or places to be commemorated, as well as on the mintage levels and proposed designs.

The CCAC is subject to the authority of the Secretary of the Treasury. The United States Mint is responsible for providing necessary and appropriate administrative support, technical services and advice.

The CCAC submits an annual report to Congress and the Secretary of the Treasury, describing its activities and providing recommendations.

https://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index1849.html?action=press_release&id=1849

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 3:48PM

He used to be a regular at a local coin shop
    here, a few miles west of my office......

Nice guy, really likes coins, and yes, he is TALL !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

I like this, good choice. I didn't know he was a coin collector. The man he used to play for had a few coins.

Dr. Buss

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea he was a collector. Often, we talk about what it would do to the market if a few very wealthy celebrities would enter the hobby full force. (Especially niche markets that have small populations, like exonumia.)
    I'd love to see what his holdings are!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have read that he is a record collector... Very knowledgable about jazz.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very exciting news! I hope CCAC and our coin design choices are in the mainstream news more because of this.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I have read that he is a record collector... Very knowledgable about jazz.

When he played for the Bucks he had his own jazz program on one of the Milwaukee stations.

• Options

@soleagent said:
    I like this, good choice. I didn't know he was a coin collector. The man he used to play for had a few coins.

Dr. Buss

It was mentioned here several times in the past.

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    He used to be a regular at a local coin shop
    here, a few miles west of my office......

Nice guy, really likes coins, and yes, he is TALL !

Any idea what his collecting interests are?

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I thought this was fake news when reading but if Fred vouches for his passion I guess not. Lets hope he has some influence in a positive fashion to collectors wishes

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has been seen at several Long Beach show.

If you know anyone on the CCAC, it involves a bunch of work and travel.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kareem is one of my favorite athletes and basketball players of all time. I loved watching him play in college and in the NBA.

He was very stoic and distant in his interactions with the public and with others in the basketball community when he was a younger player. So much so that it reduced his opportunities in the game after he retired.

However, it is my understanding that he changed and became much more open and willing to interact with others after he experienced a fire that destroyed much of if not all of his home many years ago. He suffered a loss of his home and much of its contents, including items of artwork and items related to his love of jazz music.

The public response to Kareem's loss of his home in a fire was overwhelming and generous. His loss caused a large amount of people from across the country and around the world to publicly offer support and assistance. This was done because he is loved by many. My understanding is that this outpouring of support from the public contributed to Kareem becoming more open and willing to interact with others.

I learned years ago he is a coin collector, among his other interests.

I hope that his appointment to the CCAC is a great experience for him and a benefit to the hobby.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Avid collector? I'm pleased. I hope he plays for the collectors like he played for the Lakers.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have read of his numismatic interests before, but have not seen any information regarding what coins he is interested in....i.e. gold, silver, Morgans, Bust Halves etc.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 10:46AM

Is this appointment connected with the planned 2019 US Basketball Hall of Fame commemorative coins?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I always thought Abdul-Jabbar suffered a house fire, coins were lost?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked when he played Mr. Murdoch!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 11:27AM

@CaptHenway said:
    I liked when he played Mr. Murdoch!

Airplane! (1980)
    Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
    Captain Oveur: Roger!
    Roger Murdock: Huh?
    Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
    Captain Oveur: Roger!
    Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
    Captain Oveur: What?
    Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
    Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
    Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
    Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
    Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
    Tower voice: Over.
    Captain Oveur: Roger.
    Tower voice: Roger, over!
    Roger Murdock: What?
    Captain Oveur: Huh?
    Victor Basta: Who?

Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.
    Roger Murdock: I'm sorry, son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.
    Joey: You are Kareem! I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.
    Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now, Joey. Right, Clarence?
    Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone. Let him stay here.
    Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is...
    [showing his nametag]
    Roger Murdock: ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.
    Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.
    [Kareem gets angry]
    Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.
    Roger Murdock: [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

he did a good job playing in "airplane"

• Options

he was in a bruce lee movie as a fighter and studied under bruce lee

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I think it is great to see such a high-profile, well-respected celebrity taking on this role in our hobby. Sounds like a slam dunk to me.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if he posts here and has just kept his name on the down low?

• Options

@Jackthecat1 said:
    I think it is great to see such a high-profile, well-respected celebrity taking on this role in our hobby. Sounds like a slam dunk to me.

More like a sky hook I think.

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

That is a terrific development.

Heritage interviewed him a few years ago for their Intelligent Collector print magazine a few years back. As I recall, he collects large gold coins ($20's, etc.) among other things.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options

How tall is his stack?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file