Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"I think they are old"

Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2017 11:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I went to Wells Fargo the other day asking for half dollars. The nice teller offered to check and came back and said they had a bunch in the vault if I wanted them. I bought what I had enough cash for and told them I would be back, they said then they had about another $100 left. The man I dealt with seemed appreciative that I was buying them when it truly was the other way around. The $240 I bought yielded 2 40% ers and a 2010 and 2002 for my collection.

Today I went back to buy the remaining $100. This time I had a different teller and she asked another person (I assume the vault teller) if she had any halves. She said she had an unopened box. Well, again I did not have enough to buy them all so I told them I would by $180 and come back. I can only assume the other hundred was bought by someone else because they brought the box of $500 halves and it was sealed.

While they were getting them I asked the teller if she had any in her drawer she wanted to get rid of, to which she replied she did but was not sure I wanted them because she thought they were old. I walked out with $180 in machine rolled halves and $10 in loose halves from the tellers drawer.

When I got in the car I opened the envelope and here is what was loose in her tray with the remaining $10. I got a 64 (long time since my last wild find of a 64), 2 65ps, 66p, 67p, 68d, and 69d. I was expecting more Denver mints because of the fact I live in AZ, but the reverse of the pre 68s were all blank. Odd that she thought I would not like them because some were "old".

Rob the Newbie

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another example of bank personnel completely oblivious to the coins around them!
    That's difficult for coin nerds like me to understand.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! I've had no luck lately but these recent posts are making me want to try some more.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the Christmas credit card bills are coming due.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 7:52PM

I had the chance to work at a Taco Bell as a cashier in the mid-80s. I was hoping to find lots of silver coins but I think in the two years I was there, I found six silver quarters and four silver dimes. I did see a whole lot of silver certificates and 1950 series $10 bills though.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good haul!

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

@Rob85635 said:

I was expecting more Denver mints because of the fact I live in AZ, but the reverse of the pre 68s were all blank. >

You won't find many - or should I say any - 65, 66, or 67 D coins.....

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@itsnotjustme said:

@Rob85635 said:

I was expecting more Denver mints because of the fact I live in AZ, but the reverse of the pre 68s were all blank. >

YES, correct! AND, the 68, 69, and 70's will all be mint marked. Either a D or an S

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds.... In all the years of roll searching and asking tellers, I have yet to find any silver halves.... maybe time to try again.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

@jedm said:

@itsnotjustme said:

@Rob85635 said:

YES, correct! AND, the 68, 69, and 70's will all be mint marked. Either a D or an S

I learn something new every day, thanks for the education.

Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 10:34AM

" Thrill of The Hunt" ! Congrats. Let's see, Face = $3.00 / Silver= about $23-24 NICE.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be happy they think it's just a job!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always fun to find silver! :)

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Next time you go to the bank, ask them if they have any Federal Reserve Notes. Teller will probably have to get the manager out to see what you are talking about.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Another example of bank personnel completely oblivious to the coins around them!
    That's difficult for coin nerds like me to understand.

But not ALWAYS!
    I can't even count the number of times tellers brought American Silver Eagles in to me that "customers" had deposited in their accounts.
    :o

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to frequent Stan Pierce's shop in Oakland before he was killed in the robbery.

He kept trying to convince an old lady who walked by all the time that she should NOT be depositing $5 gold pieces in her BANK ACCOUNT!

Her retort was "Well, Franklin Roosevelt said we should TURN THEM IN!"

:'(

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the banks i frequent, the tellers fight to buy the 90%. They are all "clued in."

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:
    At the banks i frequent, the tellers fight to buy the 90%. They are all "clued in."

Yeah, Isn't that a bummer? :#

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file