Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let me tell you about my last several months of collecting/submitting (FROST ADVISORY)

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2017 5:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am coming off an unprecedented 6 months of collecting/submitting coins to PCGS. And I've been holding out on revealing my scores altogether and figured I'd do so to let you all in on the joys of collecting when things are rolling your way and to assure you that there are, as Keets' recent thread pointed out, still great coins out there. Not all are really high value coins (though some are), but they are all condition rarities. 5 of the 6 most valuable coins in my collection are in this group, graded in the last 6 months.

Back in June we had a show locally at which I met a collector who had a 1957 set listed on Ebay, and agreed to purchase that set. The half graded out at PR66 DCAM.

Also picked up at that show and were the following coins:
PR66 CAM

PR66 DCAM

SP68 CAM

PR69 DCAM

PR69 DCAM

SP66 DCAM

PR69 DCAM

PR69 DCAM

Throughout the summer I continued to make purchases as I had opportunity, and an August submission returned these coins:

PR69 DCAM

PR68 CAM

An Ebay purchase that graded PR67 CAM (and will get resubmitted, IMO it is a DCAM).

Another Ebay purchase graded out at PR67 DCAM

PR69 CAM

Finally, we had our state show here in my hometown which resulted in some nice pick-ups, and I continued to score some nice coins off of Ebay as well as from B&M's.

PR68 CAM - a raw single for about $20

PR67 CAM from a raw Ebay proof set

SP67 CAM

Also picked up a 1970-S Small Date Lincoln that graded at 67 CAM and a 68 Kennedy that graded 69 DCAM (no photos).

Finally this week I received the grades on my economy submission submitted in November.

PR66 CAM

PR66 DCAM

A home state commemorative MS66

An Ebay purchase PR66 CAM

PR68 DCAM

In addition, I've added numerous beautiful toned proofs to my set that I may share in a separate thread at some point...I'm pretty sure this is enough images for now.

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Impressive coins in that group. Congrats on the grades !

Trade $'s
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

It's always great making significant strides in improving one's collection. Congrats ModCrewman.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am partial to the 1967 SP CAM's...I have not been able to "shell out" enough for the Lincoln Cent 67 CAMEO...yet.

Is it chilly in here or is just the coins?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

it's cold in here!

• Options

One bump for the evening crowd.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!!!

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, well done

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great group and I really love that 1950 Lincoln.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

Phenomenal assortment.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    (FROST ADVISORY)

you are an accurate weatherman and explains where all of our frost went!

it was around 55°f here today. say what!

nice group ya got there.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm frostbitten! Way to go!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread, great eye finding those beauties! The Iowa commem is awesome!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cameo Proof coins are easily among the most beautiful.

Congrats

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a thread I started about 10-12 years ago that was done to try to help newcomers avoid the mistakes and pitfalls that I had suffered through, it was 10 Suggestions. among them was one that suggested finding an area of interest and trying to stay focused on that area.

this is a good example of what can happen when we do that. over the years you have stayed the course and not strayed for away from the 1950-1970 realm of Proof coinage. this group highlights a nice summer of Fun!!! I'm partial to Nickels, so I really like that 1954. they started to get "easier" that year but your coin just shimmers.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marvelous assemblage of frosty CAM and DCAM coins.... you have done extremely well.... nice pictures too. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭

Great job. Nice looking frosty group you put together.

Mike

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Love that '64 Kennedy nice job

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done - frosty indeed! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

You made some great pick-ups there.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty group, thanks for sharing the images with us.

• Options
    edited January 12, 2017 8:03AM

@keets said:
    there is a thread I started about 10-12 years ago that was done to try to help newcomers avoid the mistakes and pitfalls that I had suffered through, it was 10 Suggestions. among them was one that suggested finding an area of interest and trying to stay focused on that area.

this is a good example of what can happen when we do that. over the years you have stayed the course and not strayed for away from the 1950-1970 realm of Proof coinage. this group highlights a nice summer of Fun!!!

That's a good bit of advice, that you certainly must have shared with me in my early days. Your posts as well as those of SanctionII and a few others were what drew my collecting interest into this area.

I sometimes think my focus is too narrow, and that I'm starting to grow weary of it, until I get a few finds like these. Then suddenly the literally thousands of proof sets I've gone through begin to seem worth it...very worth it.

The PCGS price guide on the certified coins in my collection is over 4x my cost in the coins based upon the coins currently in my registry inventory. And in addition to that I've sold off well over $20,000 worth of certified coins that I had a cumulative cost in of about $400. This hobby has treated me extraordinarily well.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cameo sure does make them look nice!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins Don. You have been busy and have found some beautiful coins in the wild. With the upgrades you have obtained I assume you are continuing to move up in the Registry rankings for the 1950-1964 proof set category and that you will be getting close to having a spot in the Top 5.

I am waiting anxiously to see your new 1958 nickel.

I can relate to your comment about thinking you are too narrowly focused on the 1950-1970 Cameo proof and SMS coins. You think about expanding to other areas and then you find great Cameos that reinvigorate you. This has happened to me many times.

• Options

Whatever floats your boat.

I just can't get excited about coins that are newer than me.

I guess collecting modern condition rarities is popular with some so enjoy yourself and have fun.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the 1950 cent. Just an observation/question. On the 67 Roos. his cheek seems to have more of an indentation than the other two Roos. pictured. Could be just the lighting or my eyes, but that one seems to have more of an incused/deep crater look. Normal for the year/strike?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing "Frost" in the heading of this thread, had to add these photos taken yesterday - which even include a Moose (sorry not a Moose coin though. :D )

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess that blows that overused phrase "nothing good out on Ebay" out of the water! Congrats on your submissions!

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on both the coins and the grades!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file