Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Packs Variations - 70s/80s/90s

So I was thinking of something fun to chase for the next several months. I ended up on a Topps "set of packs" for each year. Now, they'd have to be official topps releases and not repackaged cards. And I want to stick with just the normal topps release and not get sucked into topps stickers or BIG or anything else.....quite yet lol. I want to start a collection of Topps packs for each year of the 80s. I can then go back toward the 70s as budget allows and ahead to the 90s as my sanity allows.

I've been doing some research online and I've found some info on a lot of these, but of course there are some gaps and that's where you come in! If you could help me identify which years have which kinds of packs that would be great. I'll try to keep the second post of this the one that keeps track of everything.

So "sets" for example:

1980 Wax
1980 Cello
1980 Super Cello
1980 Wax Rack
1980 Wax Tray
1980 Rack

1988 Wax
1988 Cello
1988 Rack
1988 Jumbo

etc..etc..

Again, those are probably incomplete examples, but you get the idea.

Step one - slowly accumulate all of the packs.
Step two - figure out some fun way to display everything in the man cave

Comments

• Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 8:46AM

1978 Topps

1979 Topps

1980 Topps

1981 Topps

1982 Topps

1983 Topps

1984 Topps

1985 Topps

1986 Topps

1987 Topps

1988 Topps

1989 Topps

1990 Topps

1991 Topps

1992 Topps

1993 Topps

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2017 12:42PM

I can think of a couple more...

78 wax tray
    79 wax tray
    79 super cello
    80 had two variations to it's wax packs
    80 also had cardboard header racks and all cellophane racks
    81 super cello
    82 and 83 also had the cardboard header/all cellophane variations to racks
    81-85 all had grocery racks (some with multiple color variations)
    85 had 5 variations to the wax packs (colors)
    89 and 91 (including Traded) had wax/cello wrapper variations

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

1989 Topps had the wax pack type that had the folds and not the crimps that was a plastic type material.

• Options

Edited the post to show some pictures. Making some progress :)

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection. I enjoy collecting a lot of the same stuff. Just brings back memories of tearing that all open. I collect packs with Murphy on the top, so if you decide to sell or trade any rack packs with him on top, send me a message. I also have wax/rack packs from the 70's/80's I could trade.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

@76collector said:
    Nice collection. I enjoy collecting a lot of the same stuff. Just brings back memories of tearing that all open. I collect packs with Murphy on the top, so if you decide to sell or trade any rack packs with him on top, send me a message. I also have wax/rack packs from the 70's/80's I could trade.

Ya, as I was going through the packs to get them together for these photos I noticed one of my 1986 topps packs had a little tear in it, so since I had a replacement I went ahead and opened it up. The smell of old wax pack cards instantly takes me back in time.

I'll check and see if I have anything with Dale Murphy showing on top. I might only have that 81 rack, but I can double check this evening.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@Grimster said:

Step one - slowly accumulate all of the packs.
    Step two - figure out some fun way to display everything in the man cave

Step three - ????
    Step four - profit

Sorry, I could not resist.

Awesome thread. It is interesting to see the price and count changes on the cellos and racks. I have never seen some of the packaging before.

Thank you for starting this thread.

• Options

Btw- you can get a pretty nice and relatively inexpensive glass display case from IKEA or Target for your man cave. I got one a couple years back and I really like it. IKEA directions are terrible as they don't like to use words, just pictures, but it looks nice and is affordable. Here is what it looks like jammed full of stuff, lol. .

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 77 cello with Dawson RC on top looks awfully familiar, Jeff.. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread and been working on the same type of project. Having a display cabinet made for the basement, and plan is to display the run of packs and boxes in it. I like the glass display case idea - does it have a lock on it? Here is what I am planning on putting in it. Just missing one certain pack for my 70's pack run - 1971 of course.

• Options

Haha Tim, it should look familiar, but your memory isn't serving you well, It's a Murphy rookie on top, and still one of my favorite pieces in my collection !

Kendall,
    It does have a lock on it. Fairly secure too. I think someone would try to shatter it with a hammer before getting through the lock. That stuff will look great in the case. Love both the box, and pack collection. Boxes are in great shape !

Collecting:
  • Options

I was confused between the Dawson RC you posted and the Murphy pack, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

small update.

1989 - added the alternative wax/cello style pack

1991 - added a rack pack

1993 series 1 - added the alternative cello style pack.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 6:15AM

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

When you get to the early 70s you need to be aware of:

1970: Different promos offered on different wax boxes, 33-card green boxed cellos, grocery cellos being aftermarket, wax tray, rack with yellow header

1971: wax packs with/without coin inserts, packs with 1971 cards wrapped in 1970 wrappers, 30-card blue boxed cellos, grocery cellos bring aftermarket, rack packs with yellow header cards, rack packs with a 1971 card in the header (some debate on these but I've pulled some hi end stars from them and so have others)

1972: wax packs, 25-card blue boxed cellos (no card count on box), rack pack, wax tray

1973: 5 wax pack wrapper varieties (includes all-series and player/ump poses), rack with yellow header card, 25 cent cello

1974: 2 wax pack varieties, 25 cent cello, rack pack with blue header card, wax tray

Working from memory while boarding a plane so I may add a few more items and years when I get the chance

Dave
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2017 6:16AM

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 6:16AM

• Options

I've picked up a few more additions. I'll take some pictures tonight and re-upload / replace the ones above.

I think Im down to just a couple left now. I know I need a 1990 Topps Blister Pack and now the 1986 super cello (thanks for pointing that out Robert!)

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Here's something you might consider for a basic graded pack display. (I zoomed in some photo is going to be a little fuzzy)

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 7:42AM

@70ToppsFanatic said:

1972: wax packs, 25-card blue boxed cellos (no card count on box), rack pack, wax tray

Don't forget about the 50 cent 1972 cello!

Edit: just re-read the thread, I forgot we decided this jumbo cello was probably never really distributed. Still super cool!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@esquiresports said:
    Here's something you might consider for a basic graded pack display. (I zoomed in some photo is going to be a little fuzzy)

Awesome looking display - gives me more incentive now to finish up my 70's pack run.

KC

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@70ToppsFanatic said:

Edit: just re-read the thread, I forgot we decided this jumbo cello was probably never really distributed. Still super cool!

That photo looks mighty familiar, lol..

I still have both the box and the graded coin underneath it.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@70ToppsFanatic said:

There are 25 cent 72 baseball cellos where the wrapper has graphics too

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

You mean graphics on the actual cellophane?? Can you elaborate?

• Options
    edited April 4, 2017 6:46AM

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2017 5:44PM

@PaulMaul said:
    You mean graphics on the actual cellophane?? Can you elaborate?

http://www.milehighcardco.com/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=44445&seo=1972_topps_baseball_cello_pack_5th_series_psa_7_nm

I am the proud owner of this one :) Used to belong to Josh aka Dragnet.

• Options
    edited March 13, 2017 5:48PM

The 72 cellos with graphics on the wrapper were high (5th) series packs only, released late in the year ahead of the conversion for 73 cello design. That is why the product code on back ends in a 2.

Nice pack, David!

• Options

Oh yeah...I have a tendency to forget these kinds of factoids after a few years, thanks! That's a really cool pack. Are many others known?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Oh yeah...I have a tendency to forget these kinds of factoids after a few years, thanks! That's a really cool pack. Are many others known?

I've seen about 10-12 of them surface for sale over the years.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    The 72 cellos with graphics on the wrapper were high (5th) series packs only, released late in the year ahead of the conversion for 73 cello design. That is why the product code on back ends in a 2.

Nice pack, David!

Thanks Tim! :)

• Options

Updated the pictures. I am making some good headway. I think my 1983 topps grocery pack is using the 1982 wrapper....so I'll need to grab a red colored grocery pack. Im also missing the 1990 blister pack. Im sure there will be other variations that I will stumble across. Now it's time to slowly start filling in holes for 1980 and earlier.

Here is a fun picture of everything laid out on my poker table.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

call me when u want to open them all