Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Crisser told you so. Phase 2 of the bubble burst to happen soon.....

The Crisser tried to tell you last year that the bubble was about to pop. He called if with the unopened market, and he called it with the RC market.

So what's next? The coming decline in prices of raw, mainly sets, that saw an increase the last 2 years due to the RC explosion. Dealers and collectors asking stupid money for Ex garbage and ridiculous money for anything higher grade. That will happen this year to some degree; if the economy declines it'll be a sellers market and the best chance to buy collections since 2009-11. Can't wait!

The Crisser

Comments

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I predict that prices of cards will soon go up and down.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    The Crisser tried to tell you last year that the bubble was about to pop.

What stopped you from telling us?

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

You're gonna eat a bowl of chow mein. And be hungry real soon.
    (I predict)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

And all that time I was listening to the Crosser,
    Christopher Cross.
    Lesson learned, I guess.

• Options

Game used sweat glands oughta make a run this year.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Is the Crisser and Jimmy from Seinfeld the same person??? Mark my prediction of "yes" down today.

Jimmy: Oh yeah, Jimmy's ready. Check Jimmy out. Jimmy's got some new moves. [Slips and falls from the water.] Jimmy's down.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

I predict that there will not be peace in the Middle East this year.

• Options

Well yeah, the BIG 10 failed miserably in bowl games.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Higher prices = more money

Lower prices = more cards

Im happy either way

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot about The Crisser. :)

Daniel
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

and remember everyone scoffing when you predicted that 2016's thanksgiving would fall on a thursday?

crissmas came early again!

• Options

The stock market will go down.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2017 12:06PM

@CrissCriss said:
    if the economy declines it'll be a sellers market and the best chance to buy collections since >2009-11. Can't wait!

You buy collections? I know a guy that just found 20 pounds of old cards (1986 to 1993) that he collected as a kid. Would you like his info?

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

It must have been really lonely for you making that call.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    And all that time I was listening to the Crosser,
    Christopher Cross.
    Lesson learned, I guess.

he told me to JUMP, JUMP and wore his clothes backwards

• Options

Ok, but I saved a ton of money by switching to Geico.

• Options

@CrissCriss said:
    The lack of serious responses = point proven.

Enjoy your cardboard!

What do you collect?

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I know everything to know about cards, of course, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2017 4:33PM

Wow!
    1 question
    What will The 1979 topps Baseball Nm raw set ending on 2017 December 21st at exactly 2:12am sell for?
    I hope I win it!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHockey said:
    Sign of the Apocalypse: The Crisser gets upset that the replies aren't serious enough.

+1

Like the above poster said if cards go up = good for value and if cards go down = buy more cards because they are cheaper. Either way you win!

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

More buying opportunities.

• Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

Crisser is the guy who always buys the stock market at the absolute bottom and sells at the high. And the guy who always tells you the winner of the football game and the exact score after its over. Also that guy who never bought a kevin maas rookie card but bought thousands of jeter rookie cards for cheap and sold them at the top. Also the guy who used to date a supermodel but he broke it off. I wonder how much rent he pays his mom for the basement room. Ma!!!!! The meatloaf!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    GrandMasterBGrandMasterB Posts: 233 ✭✭
    edited January 9, 2017 8:45PM

@CrissCriss said:

Enjoy your cardboard!

Now that's the smartest thing you've said!

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2017 5:13PM

@CrissCriss said:
    DPeck feels me.

No doubt you have been bearish and no doubt there has been a serious correction in a number of cards. There are definitely some people sitting on some major losses and that really isn't disputable. I do wonder if there is weakness at the top of the market and time will tell. While you take your victory lap I think you should also consider though the following opinion. After thinking about this topic and looking at a number of realized prices from various sets, genres, sports and so forth I have come to the conclusion the card market is like the stock market in the following way. Not all stocks rise at the same time and not all stocks fall at the same time. When I first joined the boards a box of 1986 Fleer was around 12k and that was over valued. There was a sale in October at $69,600. In theory that price should be lower today as the cards in high grade from the set have fallen but until another one is sold that is debatable. That said it isn't going back to 12k and it probably isn't going back to 25k. When you look at a recent card from the Mars Attacks that a board member purchased. The card in the same high grade sold in 2014 for almost the exact same price. It didn't rise or it didn't fall. There were some recent sales from the sets I collect on EBAY and a Sergeant Slaughter PSA 10 went for $460 and one of the other copies in the past six months sold for the exact same amount. I acquired my two copies in 2010 or 2011 for an average price of $85. In November a Magic Johnson/Larry Bird PSA 10 went for over 96k. That was a $5,800 card when I joined the boards. In October a Mike Tyson Panini PSA 9 sold for $988. Is that lower than its peak? Yes it has pulled back from $1,250 but it is still much higher than the first recorded sale of just over $300. I just purchased another Brock Lesnar football card and paid a record price for it. I would bet that many of the higher end unopened collectors would dispute that the entire unopened market has collapsed. I can't imagine a 1971 Topps box not going for huge money. Good luck with your next prediction and time will tell if you are right that said I truly believe that you are oversimplifying the topic and while some cards may continue to fall plenty will probably continue to rise.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

A lot less conspicuous consumption going on out there :)

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

In that case I'm calling in reinforcements.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall I think the hobby is still strong. You can't base it on just a few high profile cards. It is much larger than those cards.

I collect mainly football cards, both vintage and modern. The football vintage rookie market is still strong, especially for centered cards. Other vintage like 1955 Topps All-American, which was really popular a few years ago, have basically been flat even through the spike.

The modern football market is very hot right now especially 2016 and 2014-2015 Topps Chrome. I thought 2014 was going to be the best year due to all of the offensive rookies but 2015 was better and 2016 is unbelievable. I thought 2016 Panini products would be bombs, while some of the early product was bad like Gala. I finally got on board with Donruss and Optic, both have been great products to rip and the return has been the best in years.

Mike
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

When he drives a new car off the lot, it increases in value.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    DPeck with some good thoughts. A thoughtful reply is possible after all!

Why are you constantly in need of validation for your post?

• Options

@CrissCriss said:
    DPeck with some good thoughts. A thoughtful reply is possible after all!

I don't think it is a matter of a thoughtful reply that is the issue, but if all you receive are snarky responses maybe you need to look at your approach to your posts and you might find your answer. People that come on to a sports card board bragging about how the market is going to tank and pounding their chest about their projections would probably be treated the same as a Yankees fan bragging about their number of titles on a Red Sox board.

If cards down I can buy more and if they go up mine are worth more. For me to brag about them going down in value might be insensitive to some people who might make their living off of cards or supplement their income with them. Maybe a different approach would work better for you, and when the time comes for people to sell don't be surprised if you are not the first buyer they go running to for sales. Just some helpful advice.

KC

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

This thread is amazing.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Not as amazing as a Neil Peart drum solo back in 1981 though.

• Options
    edited January 12, 2017 11:13PM
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say a sellers market I assume you mean owners who find themselves forced to sell at much lower prices. I would personally call that a buyers market but perhaps we mean the same thing.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    The Crisser tried to tell you last year that the bubble was about to pop. He called if with the unopened market, and he called it with the RC market.

So what's next? The coming decline in prices of raw, mainly sets, that saw an increase the last 2 years due to the RC explosion. Dealers and collectors asking stupid money for Ex garbage and ridiculous money for anything higher grade. That will happen this year to some degree; if the economy declines it'll be a sellers market and the best chance to buy collections since 2009-11. Can't wait!

When did the unopened market bubble pop? I would say some segments might have slowed but others have continued to increase and I've noticed no bubbles popping in what I collect.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2017 8:57AM

Prices for more plentiful late 70s unopened product have softened after their dizzying runup, but prices for early to mid 1970s product have maintained their gains and in some cases are even stronger than ever.

And even with the softening, prices for late 70s product are still much higher than they had been prior to the runup. The meteoric rise in unopened product was more extreme for that era, with boxes from the late 70s and early 80s essentially quintupling in a short period of time, which IMO is why those prices were bound to recede back to the stratosphere at some point. A 78 rack box was a $1,200 box (or less) 10 years ago. A 1980 baseball wax box was a $300 box back then and still commands $750 today. A 1981 baseball wax box was $90 FASC 6-7 years ago during one of our group breaks and retails today for $300.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Prices for more plentiful late 70s unopened product have softened after their dizzying runup, but prices for early to mid 1970s product have maintained their gains and in some cases are even stronger than ever.

And even with the softening, prices for late 70s product are still much higher than they had been prior to the runup. The meteoric rise in unopened product was more extreme for that era, with boxes from the late 70s and early 80s essentially quintupling in a short period of time, which IMO is why those prices were bound to recede back to the stratosphere at some point. A 78 rack box was a $1,200 box (or less) 10 years ago. A 1980 baseball wax box was a $300 box back then and still commands $750 today. A 1981 baseball wax box was $90 FASC 6-7 years ago during one of our group breaks and retails today for $300.

Hey Tim - I know of someone who has some 70s cases available for sale. I can't give you any pictures, but just trust me on this one.

Will you sell me one of 1980 boxes for $400? I'll give you a little return on that $300 cost 10 years ago!

• Options

You guys had to know everything is hitting the fan. It started with Mariah, and don't think for once, that collecting baseball cards leaves you absent minded and feeling under dressed.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Try finding a 75 regular size wax pack in graded 8 or better condition. 75 Cellos are plentiful and have not moved much. Grote is right late 70's product is plentiful, however it has even gone up with its supply. It's as simple as supply and demand just like anything that people spend money on. Or desire or have to have it moments.

• Options

Don't think twice, it's alright

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

@Dand522612 said:
    Try finding a 75 regular size wax pack in graded 8 or better condition. 75 Cellos are plentiful and have not moved much. Grote is right late 70's product is plentiful, however it has even gone up with its supply. It's as simple as supply and demand just like anything that people spend money on. Or desire or have to have it moments.

+1

Two 1971 PSA packs went for over $2k in the last month so no softening there. Mantle rookies in PSA 8 are over $500k and 8.5 is over $1 million - huge crash there. Not to mention trying to find a 1975 regular pack or rack that is legit are few and far between, and when you do the price will show zero softening or crashing.

Guarantee you items like these won't sell for a loss.

1975 rack with Bench and Palmer showing, and 1975 Topps mini rack - find one of these first for sale and no way they crash.

• Options

I personally liked the part of this thread where we all agreed to ignore him

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

Who thought the "Buyer's Group" boom leading up to The National was sustainable? We can all agree the conspiracy theories it created were priceless.

• Options