Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Brand new Canadian coin Not serviced

cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited January 9, 2017 7:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Can anyone tell me why PCGS would Not grade a new coin? Size? It was a 2017 $250 1 Kilo coin and I see on the site that it is list as No Service/Not Holdered.

Its the one that looks like it has a bunch of coins on it. http://www.mint.ca/store/buy/kilo-coins_coins-cat730001

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

One kilo is mighty large. I'd guess they don't have a holder for it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same diameter as an ATB hockey puck but about 6-1/2 times as thick.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it come with papers.:)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like really? How would they entomb it? It does not appear to come in some sort of capsule that they could just strap it like NGC does the GSA Morgans. Only a mintage of 500 might keep it from ever being graded at PCGS. A big investment for maybe little gain. Business is business after all.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Like really? How would they entomb it? It does not appear to come in some sort of capsule that they could just strap it like NGC does the GSA Morgans. > bob

It did come in a capsule. I sent an email to PCGS customer service a couple weeks before I sent it in to make sure they could grade it and got no response. I guess I should have tried again...

• Options

And, it is a legal tender coin. I guess I gave PCGS too much credit. I just assumed the best coin grading company in the world could do any coin in the world...

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cruisersk1 said:
    And, it is a legal tender coin. I guess I gave PCGS too much credit. I just assumed the best coin grading company in the world could do any coin in the world...

They likely can, but they also might not want to invest the time, money and resources into a very limited market.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I guess it is possible to have it graded...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381919641540

2017 Canada $250 1 Kilo HR Antiqued Silver Coin Collection NGC PF69 ER SKU45046

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen many PCGS slabs w/ 1kg silver kilo coins. They are massive holders that seem to have lots of room for even larger coins. A couple of dealers have tables full of these holders at the Long Beach shows, mostly Chinese kilo coins if I remember correctly. Perhaps this new Canadian coin is unusually thick which prevents it from being encapsulated by PCGS?

Great coin though, thought about ordering one of them, but the premium was just a bit too tough to swallow for me.

:+1:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... large coin... quite an investment too... Not something I would consider. Nice to look at though.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just have two coins got no service/not holder. I know PCGS graded those coins. I called and asked for an answer. If I don't get the answer I will file a complaint with PCGS chairman or BBB.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 3:18PM

I called PCGS yesterday and today, today they told me no holder for those coins (5 OZ). I just don't know if they are temporary out of the holder or permanently stop holder those 5 OZ coins. I guess I have no choice but go to NGC for the service.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file