Home Metal Detecting
Options

Update on hunt to California (previous post)

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not going to happen. Okay, everything is fine with me but upon further exploration via the internet and with the BLM field office for that area, I've decided to look elsewhere. There is gold there but none has been found in any placers in that mountain range. All are lode. So, metal detecting for nuggets would just be a waste of time.
I have located another area, in Nevada, that will be the next hunt. It has produced small nuggets and is also a lode vein area. So, will see how that goes and will not have to walk any great distance as can drive pretty close. Plans are underway for a date and will keep you on your edge of your seats till then!
bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also check Arizona.... there are some good areas there.... I have two nuggets found in AZ. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I have done some hunting in AZ, with no success. Did find a lode of poor grade (not jewelry quality) turquoise.
    Now that there is a new bypass around Hoover Dam it ought to be a lot quicker getting to AZ.....in the future, perhaps.
    bob:)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Godd lunk on your hunt :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of areas in SOCAL with placer gold but I have heard they have been hit hard by detectors, but I still hear of nice finds. I have not bought a metal detector for placer gold, but I am thinking about it.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins .... hit the area below and around the Oroville dam.... Years ago I panned gold in that area... it was really good... I had a buddy there who had some nuggets the size of robins eggs, some larger... and now, with the major flooding just experienced, there will be a lot of opportunity. Probably a lot of competition too... The locals know the gold will be popping up... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Engineers have beat you to it on Oreville Dam. No gold found. Trust me metal detectors came out faster than your ten spot to a hooker.

bob;)

• Options

Well, there are still a lot of streams that flooded in the area... and I imagine no one is bragging about any gold finds at this point.... Only one person can keep a secret... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Oh so right, RickO! Engineers were first to check but there will be others on other streams. The Feather River complex is full of gold and I wish I were there to destroy my shoulder!! I'd probably do just that!
    My brother lives in the area and a cousin as well, and neither have any interest.......damn.

bob

• Options

Yep.... That is one of the few things I liked about California.... nice gold panning/MD'ing. I am 3000 miles away now... so no chance... besides, I just do not like California...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'm next door to CA and refuse to visit (unless it's out in the desert away from folks). Wife takes the daughter and grand kids to the beach every year....I refuse to go.

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins .... hit the area below and around the Oroville dam.... Years ago I panned gold in that area... it was really good... I had a buddy there who had some nuggets the size of robins eggs, some larger... and now, with the major flooding just experienced, there will be a lot of opportunity. Probably a lot of competition too... The locals know the gold will be popping up... Cheers, RickO

I'm a local

• Options

@CyndieChildress... Great... have you gone out nugget hunting yet? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @CyndieChildress... Great... have you gone out nugget hunting yet? Cheers, RickO

Not yet but I intend to this summer. Trying to do a little research on which metal detector to buy

• Options

I'm researching detectors also, but for "urban" hunting..not nuggets. :smile:
    God luck and I'm sure you will find something. Keep us posted. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Oh so right, RickO! Engineers were first to check but there will be others on other streams. The Feather River complex is full of gold and I wish I were there to destroy my shoulder!! I'd probably do just that!
    My brother lives in the area and a cousin as well, and neither have any interest.......damn.

bob

KRCR TV did a news segment last week of a few locals who found some good size nuggets. As the DWR found out, they put a stop to anyone coming close to the dam. This winter has definitely changed the game

• Options

Opportunity is everything, sometimes a florescent orange vest, and acting like you belong there makes all of the difference :smile:

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I'm researching detectors also, but for "urban" hunting..not nuggets. :smile:
    God luck and I'm sure you will find something. Keep us posted. :smile:

Both, yes!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Had luck on the American river years back on a friends dredge. He pulled out over 100oz of Gold over a summer doing it part time between his welding job. I also did some panning on some creeks with some success. He said I was getting the "flood Gold".
    Good luck on your hunt! Nice nuggets!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions