Home Precious Metals
Options

How to make new gold look old

3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a type set of sovereigns (all obv/rev combos since 1817). Most of my coins have a real nice gold look to them, but my new 2017 sovereign (fifth head obv QE2) looks almost silvery in comparison to the gentle hues of the old gold (its authentic, just purchased from APMEX). is there any way to make it look like the pleasant gold tones of the older coins?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course there is, just put it away for 100 years or so.

;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patience patience patience :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharpie?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put it in a brown kraft coin envelope and wait a few decades. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold plate it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since they are 22kt with copper as the alloy.... try storing the coin in an small enclosed chamber with sulfur powder for a while....it should darken the copper content.... stand the coin on edge to get both sides evenly tarnished. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko
    For someone that hates tarnish on coins.................you know a lot about it. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Studied it for years back in the early 2000's..... perfected methods for AT.....all on my own junk silver.... never let any leave the house and will not divulge the method(s). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pocket piece it! :D

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about a slow, low bake in oil? It's bullion, so not really worried about too much damage.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    What about a slow, low bake in oil? It's bullion, so not really worried about too much damage.

I'd go with the slow approach.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a lot of experience with toned gold, but I do have some gold eagles that experienced rapid toning inside PCGS plastic. The problem is that it was very uneven and unattractive, so I would advise not trying to accelerate the process.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrap it in wet coffee grounds

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I don't have a lot of experience with toned gold, but I do have some gold eagles that experienced rapid toning inside PCGS plastic. The problem is that it was very uneven and unattractive, so I would advise not trying to accelerate the process.

interesting

I'd like to see pictures

I've had .9999 gold develop mucho spots in pcgs plastic. they, of course, blame the mint & metal mixture.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I remember reading a post here that mentioned Iodine being used.
    I've wanted to try that on an 1\4 oz. AGE, always forget the Iodine when I'm at the pharmacy.

• Options

I will never understand, nor appreciate, why anyone would want to 'color' their gold..... I like gold...crusty, from commerce is ok. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@SkyMan...Yep...that would work.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joking aside, I would leave it as is, I like the variations from old to new look.
    I just got this one and I am pleased with the way it looks:

I wouldn't do anything at all to mine.