Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hosting Coin Images

I currently keep photos of my coins on a site called Collectors Coin. Doing so allows me to download pictures to message boards such as this one and permits interested parties to easily view my entire collection along with a summary I have included of the characteristics of each coin. This has been a great site to house pictures of my coins.

Unfortunately, the owners of the site recently announced that they will be shutting it down. So, I am looking for a new place to transfer my pictures. Which alternative sites can members recommend for hosting, viewing, describing and downloading coin pictures?

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Create your own cloud with two external hard drives with the exact same info on each drive.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean Collective Coin?

• Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Yes, I meant to say Collective Coin. Any suggestions? As for creating my own cloud, that sounds great but it's 's certainly beyond my level of expertise.

• Options
    justcollectingjustcollecting Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Most internet service providers (at least in my area) give free webspace on their system with your subscription. All that is needed is an ftp program (which you get off the net free) to upload the images. Once uploaded you can access them from anywhere

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Postimage.org and have had a good experience with it. Easy to use and minimal popups. No cost. There are others.
    No longer necessary here as this software allows one to download from their personal computer.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still sticking with photobucket...and a backup file on my laptop.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been on Photobucket for 3-4 years. But recent experience would leave me looking for a new cloud storage service. PCGS Registry Service has been very good for me. But only for registry set coins?

OINK

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google Drive (or Microsoft's OneDrive) - $100/year for 1TB, 100GB for $24/year

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be wrong but I think gemtone65 is looking for a similar site where he can post, link, describe in detail his coins like he had on Collective Coin. BTW, I happen to know he has some great coins that you rarely see these days. Or he used to.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for the helpful comments. To Zoins, if the move to keep CollectiveCoin active is ongoing, and if I can help, please let me know. To stman, thanks for the laudatory comments about my collection. I still own all those great coins you alluded to.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this is one problem I do not have.... no pictures, no problems... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2017 12:35PM

I don't know how many here are Amazon Prime members, but for those who are, I just found out that they have unlimited photo hosting! Just go to https://amazon.com/photos and sign up!

EDIT: Never mind - Amazon won't let you embed the photo. Neither will Shutterfly.com.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2017 10:51AM

@ricko said:
    Well, this is one problem I do not have.... no pictures, no problems... :D Cheers, RickO

Hay Rick as my eyes get older I enjoy my coins images on the big scrren more than trying to look at them with a loupe.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2017 10:56AM

I used to use Photobucket butit started having problems so I switched to imgur.com
    It works much better and is also free.
    If stman can vouch for your coins, I know we want to see them :p

• Options
    edited January 5, 2017 11:05AM

Surprised you all want to store your valuable images with some company on some cloud somewhere ....

Seriously consider making your own cloud as I stated above.

In fact my OCD, makes me have (6) external hard drive with all exact same information on each drive.

Since I am super OCD, I have in fact buried three of these hard drives underground in my backyard.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins ...Wow... that is beyond OCD, that is PARANOID....That being said, it is your information, your drives and your backyard....do as you wish. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@LindeDad ....Yeah.... I can see that coming too....certainly has merits. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't hosting images and storing images two different things?

• Options

@ricko said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins ...Wow... that is beyond OCD, that is PARANOID....That being said, it is your information, your drives and your backyard....do as you wish. ;) Cheers, RickO

Not paranoid at all. Images are one of my businesses. I told my engineer friend about this and he said all is good unless you never use it. I said that isn't the point at all, the point is Piece of Mind as now I know I will not lose any of my valuable information. All hard drives will eventually fail. I add about two new ones each year. I own my cloud. Zero worries.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2017 12:16PM

@robec said:

Some may think having images "hosted" is storage.

That is what the hosting companies are telling you

Also hosting is not so important anymore as most websites will let you upload your image directly to their site just like this forum has changed too.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@robec said:

Some may think having images "hosted" is storage.

That is what the hosting companies are telling you

Also hosting is not so important anymore as most websites will let you upload your image directly to their site just like this forum has changed too.

I've never been a fan of size restrictions imposed by most forum sites.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins.... OK...did not realize images were part of your business... some redundancy is certainly justified... I have double back ups of my system.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

It NEVER rains in Southern California ..... well ok sometimes we get BIG Pacific storms .... resulting in ......

a collapse of my digital vault .....

with (3) multi TB hard drives under mud ...... pulled them out .....

and they where just fine, so I backed all three up to date today and back out in the yard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file