Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which slab boxes do you like the best?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 19, 2017 12:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What do people think of boxes like these? I know PCGS and ATS boxes are popular but these are nice because they have latches on them. I'm not sure about how inert the materials are though.

Tagged:

Comments

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up one like that (pretty cheap) at the ANA-Anaheim this year! I love the concept, quality, and size. But like you, I'm not exactly sure of the materials. There was a strong chemical odor when it was new, which seems to have dissipated. But that would seem to indicate some out-gassing going on....

Right now, I'm using it for short-term transport, rather than storage....

They also have larger boxes I'm interested in, if someone can convince me (us) that they are safe.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

I saw them back in October at the MOON show in Minnesota.
    I have the same concerns.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want Intercept to bring back the old "track" style boxes that were much like PCGS boxes with 20 individual slots.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 10:17PM

For the Intercept boxes, does the Intercept Technology active purifier break down and require periodic replacement (like water purifiers)?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins...Is there a website where those boxes are available?? I like them... Cheers, RickO

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Zoins...Is there a website where those boxes are available?? I like them... Cheers, RickO

https://lighthouse.us/epages/lighthouse.sf/en_us/?ObjectPath=/Shops/leuchtturm_us/Categories/US/US_2586

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

@ms70....Thanks, but they do not have any for slabs such as in the OP....just trays... Cheers, RickO

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 8:09AM

I'd stay far away from any of those fancy after market boxes as there's no way to know what impact the adhesives used on the foam dividers will have for long term storage.

Or even the chemicals used in the manufacturing and coloring for the foam itself.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 8:42AM

@TommyType said:
    I picked up one like that (pretty cheap) at the ANA-Anaheim this year! I love the concept, quality, and size. But like you, I'm not exactly sure of the materials. There was a strong chemical odor when it was new, which seems to have dissipated. But that would seem to indicate some out-gassing going on....

No offense, but "cheap" and "quality" don't generally go together.

I'm 99.4% convinced that box is made in China using the cheapest possible materials without any thought or care as to what cherished coins you will put inside and what will happen to them over time.

To answer the OP's question, I prefer boxes made of the fewest possible materials, all inert, with the least possible wasted space, and fairly strong. In my mind, that means original PCGS boxes followed by NGC boxes (which are not as strong as PCGS boxes).

edited December 31, 2016 10:00AM

Another option could be to get an inert locking case (with no foam) to put PCGS, ATS, Intercept boxes in them. I wonder if there are any suitable cases like this.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 10:10AM

@ricko said:
    @ms70....Thanks, but they do not have any for slabs such as in the OP....just trays... Cheers, RickO

Try here: coinsupplyexpress.com/Aluminum-Slab-Boxes.html

And this appears to be the source company: guardhouseholders.com/guardhouse-30-slab-aluminum-box-29940.aspx

I note that they claim them to be, "perfect to keep certified coins safe when travelling." No long term storage claims...

Easily distracted Type Collector
    edited December 31, 2016 10:18AM

@TommyType said:

@ricko said:

Try here: coinsupplyexpress.com/Aluminum-Slab-Boxes.html

These are also on the bay. From there, it seems like they sell quite a bit of these cases. Search for "aluminum box" on the bay.

Thanks @TommyType ....and @Zoins....I see them there... will also check the bay....Cheers, RickO

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    For the Intercept boxes, does the Intercept Technology active purifier break down and require periodic replacement (like water purifiers)?

From their website:
    "The protection will last for at least 10 years--and probably much longer, he (John Albanese, founder of Intercept Shield) said. Users will be able to gauge the product’s success, and determine when it needs to be replaced, by observing its color--for while the coins behind the Intercept Shield remain unchanged in appearance, the shield itself will darken in time as it absorbs more and more pollutants. Gradually, it will turn from dark brown to jet black, signaling that it’s time for a new shield."

Lance.

@Vbowling299 said:
    I prefer NGC boxes as i can fit all types of slabs in them including the new pcgs slabs! (I just lose a spot in the box where i have those)

When does NGC use silver vs. red boxes? Red boxes seem to be all over the place now.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your goal is to travel with the boxes pictured in the OP then I would suggest to stay away from them. The first reason is that the carrying handle is on the large side of the box top, which means that it would not carry like a briefcase, but instead would carry with a much larger profile. Also, I would expect that the adhesives used in the box, as well as possibly the foam, would not be stable and/or compatible with some coinage materials. Additionally, while the boxes have latches, they do not appear to have anywhere to lock them. Lastly, this style of box screams "rob me" if someone were to see you carry the box.

If you want a box that is made as tough as nails, can be made waterproof/watertight, is made of few parts, can be securely locked and is customizable then I would suggest Pelican Cases.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

I've been thinking of Pelican Cases too, particularly putting TPG or Intercept boxes in them. Do you think they are inert enough for storage, or just transport?

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is that you can do long-term storage in Pelican Cases without much fear on the stability of the coin. One area that I read quite a bit about is the vintage watch niche and more than a few folks in this area use customized Pelican Cases for transport and/or long-term storage of watches. They two hobbies may not seem to have much in common, but many of these vintage watches are made of silver, gold or rose-gold and while it is true that many folks have their watch cases polished, not all of them do and if they don't have them polished then they want their cases to remain unspotted and in good shape. Additionally, the silver, gold or rose-gold dial furniture (hour markers and hands) generally do not get cleaned and folks like these to look good, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

I purchased a 50 slot container (like the OP)....I do not intend to travel with it, however, it will be convenient to store my gold slabs...not worried about tarnish on them....Cheers, RickO

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 11:43AM

Pelican cases scream rob me too and the closed cell foam has a lot of nasty chemicals such as formaldehyde and sulfur in it for long term storage.

I have a buddy who stored a hard chromed .45 ACP Colt in a pelican case for about 6 months. The finish is supposed to be inert to even 5000 hours of salt water exposure. The foam ruined the finish and the gun had to be stripped and refinished. Now place a RED copper coin in it in a TPG holder that breathes... No way Jose as these cases are bad hombres which will molest your coins surfaces.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    edited December 31, 2016 11:56AM

@Broadstruck said:
    Pelican cases scream rob me too and the closed cell foam has a lot of nasty chemicals such as formaldehyde and sulfur in it for long term storage.

I have a buddy who stored a hard chromed .45 ACP Colt in a pelican case for about 6 months. The finish is supposed to be inert to even 5000 hours of salt water exposure. The foam ruined the finish and the gun had to be stripped and refinished. Now place a RED copper coin in it in a TPG holder that breathes... No way Jose as these cases are bad hombres which will molest your coins surfaces.

I was thinking of ones without foam, but I agree the foam can be an issue.

I have several Pelican cases.... however, I do not use them for long term firearm storage. Just transport to the range or if changing domicile. Have never had an issue with firearms or flashlights. Though I have no doubt that foam liners will emit fumes over time... closed cell more so it seems. Cheers, RickO

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2017 9:52AM

Zoins : "I've been thinking of Pelican Cases too, particularly putting TPG or Intercept boxes in them. Do you think they are inert enough for storage, or just transport?"

Have been doing this for years for storage. Pelican cases (without foam) Intercept Shield boxes/3rd party plastic boxes and desiccant - works great!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • For ANACS soap bar slabs.

edited January 5, 2017 11:44PM

@Vbowling299 said:
    I prefer NGC boxes as i can fit all types of slabs in them including the new pcgs slabs! (I just lose a spot in the box where i have those)

I just tried getting a new PCGS slab into an ATS box and it didn't work! Doh!

• AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Vbowling299 said:

When does NGC use silver vs. red boxes? Red boxes seem to be all over the place now.

According to the fashion magazines, silver is SSSOOOO 2016. Red is in for 2017. ;)

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Still PCGS, unless I need to store NGC slabs.
    My most used box though is my bank safe deposit box.

Just received my 50 slot box.... will put a couple of junk silvers in it to test for tarnish..... Cheers, RickO

• @TopographicOceans said:
    Still PCGS, unless I need to store NGC slabs.
    My most used box though is my bank safe deposit box.

To many trips to the bank with safe deposit boxes so I went with this at home. It's good enough for what I need it for.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

does the Intercept Technology active purifier break down and require periodic replacement (like water purifiers)?

the black material used in the IS technology is infused with sacrificial copper. they suggest replacing whatever type holder you're using every 10 year.

my storage choices are the Intercept boxes and the grey/silver NGC boxes.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Intercept boxes.

I bag the slabs in Coin Armour Intercept bags and put them in the Intercept box.

Also, it turns out the single slab Intercept holder boxes line up quite nicely in the Intercept sports card long boxes...so for the triple protection---put the slab in the Coin Armour bag, inside the individual holder, inside the row box. I save the triple protection for the delicate stuff.

• slendaslenda Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited January 7, 2017 12:24AM

I`m going with the Intercept DL10 box. My main concern is for protection of the slab itself so each slab gets its own holder. I love the white color and it just inspires confidence. This will prevent scratches and damages to the feet of the slab. And provide extra protection for the coins.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the NGC storage boxes bc they hold all 4 major TPG types. Use the old TTR boxes for larger PCGS and they also hold ANACS first gen. When will somebody get on ball and mfgr product like these?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
    edited January 10, 2017 5:13AM

The 50 slab box is very nice... however the old, small ANACS holders will not fit.... all the rest fit well. Cheers, RickO

@Cougar1978 said:
    I use the NGC storage boxes bc they hold all 4 major TPG types. Use the old TTR boxes for larger PCGS and they also hold ANACS first gen. When will somebody get on ball and mfgr product like these?

What is a TTR box?

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

Right now, I'm using it for short-term transport, rather than storage....

They also have larger boxes I'm interested in, if someone can convince me (us) that they are safe.

Probably the glues used to attach the inner materials.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Cougar1978 said:

What is a TTR box?

I would like to know too.

Is there an actual product on the market that is safe for storage that works for all the different types of slabs? I liked the NGC boxes until the new thicker PCGS holders came along...those have to go in diagonally and you use up two slots that way.

Jeff

@cecropiamoth said:

@Zoins said:

@Cougar1978 said:

What is a TTR box?

I would like to know too.

Is there an actual product on the market that is safe for storage that works for all the different types of slabs? I liked the NGC boxes until the new thicker PCGS holders came along...those have to go in diagonally and you use up two slots that way.

Jeff

Ah, diagonally is the trick to getting the new slabs into the box! I just tried it and it works for SEGS slabs too. I haven't found a good way to get the old, small ANACS slabs into the ATS box yet, they are so small they just bounce around.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2017 11:31AM

I like the intercept shield white box double row SL50 that was pictured above in the forum which seems to work for most slabs and is currently available at APMEX. Just ordered 3 more for longer term storage. I use the blue plastic PCGS boxes for temporary storage, but it is a pain when I get a few NGC's (that I try to crossover) that are too tall for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file