Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian Large Cents: Red-Brown versus Red

jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2016 7:59PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have just started a collection of Canadian Large Cents and have some questions of the designation of Red-Brown versus Red.

1. What percentage Red does a coin have to be to get the "Red" designation by PCGS? Do ICCS and CCCS use the same percentage?

2. Red Large Cents seem to be premium priced versus the same grade in Red-Brown and Brown...there are fewer of them and maybe they are more popular...do you think the premium is worth it...given the risk that Red could turn Red-Brown in the holder??

3. Have PCGS standards changed over the years with regards to Red versus Red-Brown??

Below are two new acquisitions!!! - Jon

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect that the percentage red to receive the RD designation on Canadian cents would be the same as with US cents. I do not know where ICCS or CCCS stand on the issue, however. PCGS defines RD as 95% or more of the original red color remaining and BN as 5% or less of the original red color remaining with the intervening amount (5%-95% original red color remaining) as RB.

I worry about the premium for RD designated Canadian large cents, especially coins certified in newer holders. If they are in older holders, and if I believe the RD designation is warranted on a case-by-case basis, then I think the premium can be justified.

As far as I can recall, the RD, RB and BN definitions have been fairly constant, but you will see coins in older holders that have turned or darkened over the years so that a previously RD coin that is in a RD-designated holder might actually be RB today.

I like them both, but the 1917 really appears to have a nice glow to it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual... what TomB says

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

Member Bosox - Rob Turner is an expert on Canadian large cents and has assisted in getting PCGS to add some of the more recognized varieties to the registry sets. I'll send him a heads up to this thread.

BTW - TomB is probably right on with his comments. I'll add that my experience is that the other TPG's are not as strict about red as PCGS.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

Also PCGS no longer honors red color guarantee. So if the coin does tone in the holder, so be it. BTW - copper, actually bronze for Canadian cents, is an active metal and will eventually tone. All depends on storage conditions.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 10:12PM

Tom is correct. PCGS is far, far tougher on the red designation than either Canadian TPG. If anything, PCGS has gotten tougher on red designations over the years.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

No specific commentary on RB/RD standards, but hey, those are nice looking cents in the OP.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

Thanks for the input guys!!! From one of my Canadian dealers:

"ICCS and CCCS are a lot more lenient on the red designation then PCGS, even with Canadian cents.

PCGS gives red when it is 90%+ red. ICCS and CCCS gives it at around 75% and up. That is why PCGS red designations carry a premium...(probably closer to Trends pricing)..."

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not Canadian as I don't have experience in grading those, but PCGS usually gives RD designation to 90% Plus red.
    There is a slight variance IMO from Indians to lincolns on the percentage from what I can see in grades assessed.

I always felt that this needs to be expanded at bit to something like:
    RD, RRDBN RB BNRBN BN
    spelled out RED, Redbrown, redredbrown, redbrown, brownredbrown and finally brown
    also possibly some kind of indication of purple /blue mixed with red as PCGS and I believe NGC automatically assigned BN designation to coins that have this in the color.
    I have an 1877 Indian in 64 that is probably one of the most eye-appealing 77's you will ever see for a coin in that grade, but because it has a touch of purple/magenta its in a brown holder. It cannont be priced comparably to brn coins of that grade, its simple ridiculous, when Eye-appeal is off the charts.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always heard if a coin is 80% red, it'll get a RED by ICCS. You really have to look at the coin in an ICCS flip.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

Actually ICCS will call one red at about 50%.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

have seen red and then another red from another TPG and another red again from another TPG and another one.
    Until we have an established NORM so every TPG will call the same red a RED, I personally see simply RED ;):)

Happy new year

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

If the reverse matches the obverses I would think the 1917 was Red and if not should be designated RRBn as jdimmick suggests

I always felt that this needs to be expanded at bit to something like:
    RD, RRDBN RB BNRBN BN
    spelled out RED, Redbrown, redredbrown, redbrown, brownredbrown and finally brown
    also possibly some kind of indication of purple /blue mixed with red as PCGS and I believe NGC automatically assigned BN designation to coins that have this in the color.
    I have an 1877 Indian in 64 that is probably one of the most eye-appealing 77's you will ever see for a coin in that grade, but because it has a touch of purple/magenta its in a brown holder. It cannont be priced comparably to brn coins of that grade, its simple ridiculous, when Eye-appeal is off the charts.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet another reason why the old holders are so nice to have. They are likely stable by now and what you see is what you should have from this point forward. As long as you store them properly

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

this coin (my avatar) was designated R (Red) by a Canadian TPG.
    would you agree?
    Or, if not, what would you designate it?
    what grade would you assess for this side?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent looks attractive, but in my opinion this coin would go RB at PCGS and I would not pay a color designation based premium for it if it were in a RD holder.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always appreciated the look of Canadian large cents.
    I am especially partial to Victorian era coins.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

YQQ -- no question in my mind...that is RB at PCGS...beautiful coin!

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Some very nice coins in this thread!

Although I do own one PCGS RD piece and several RB, I must admit that I generally prefer chocolate brown BN coins for the very reasons you mentioned. Copper and bronze will eventually darken. Most exhibit some mottling, which is fine for RB coins and can be appealing depending on how it manifests on the particular coin. With a smooth chocolate brown coin you can be reasonably confident that the coin's appearance is stable. I also happen to find them very attractive. Of course, a truly smooth chocolate brown coin can be even harder to find than red.

• Options

@PatAR said: Of course, a truly smooth chocolate brown coin can be even harder to find than red.

Now that I look more closely you're right...PCGS population numbers show more Mint State RB than MS Brown for most Canadian Large Cents...