Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing 5-Coin Hobo Nickel Work of Art

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2016 5:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Saw this one browsing eBay this afternoon and thought it was just too neat to not share with everyone here. Very cool piece that is made up of 5 carved Buffalo Nickels and a custom sterling silver stand. I thought it was especially neat that the artist says this is his first piece... not a bad start!

I'll put a couple of the photos below, but more pics are found on the seller's eBay listing if you want to check them out. And for clarification, I do not know this seller and have nothing to do with this listing, other than thinking it's a pretty darn cool piece!

:+1:

ebay.com/itm/162339506608

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

That's a work of art, very cool.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That should be on every coin geek's desk.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that is unique.... not usually a fan of the modern hobo's.... but that is special....where is that listed on ebay?
    Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Wow... that is unique.... not usually a fan of the modern hobo's.... but that is special....where is that listed on ebay?
    Cheers, RickO

Here's the link if you want to check it out...

ebay.com/itm/162339506608

Looks like the bidding has been pretty strong so far.

• Options

Wow... definitely some strong bids.....will watch it.... could be a good snipe... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

While it certainly is different I can't say that I think much of it from an artistic standpoint. Other's opinions will certainly differ greatly from mine.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 4:06PM

Wow. Its gone up $200 just since being posted on this forum. My heart would have sunk if I was bidding then saw it posted here :wink:

This piece is killer. The artistry and talent and forethought plus on top of it crafting the pedestal base. This guy has a big future as a contemporary hobo artist. Wonder how long it took him from inception to completion on this piece.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a neat piece art wise, but I've always liked hobo nickels that were built off the main obverse or reverse element, which I always thought required a creative consideration when coming up with the design. While neat, this piece looks more like a work where the artist simply used some buffalo nickels as the medium, but they weren't specifically needed as an integral element. This could also just be an observation of the difference between classic and modern hobo nickels.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    While it certainly is different I can't say that I think much of it from an artistic standpoint. Other's opinions will certainly differ greatly from mine.

Does nothing for me either. Wasted money that could be used for buying coins.

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

I think the layered approach is very cool.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

But will it slab?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    justcollectingjustcollecting Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I don't care for it either and I don't like the coins that have had the fields cut out. To me they are just another holed coin. I also don't like the fact that you need the base to get the full effect. I do like the original and modern hobo nickels.

• Options

$500 and climbing...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive. I consider apples and oranges compared to traditional hobo nickels though.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options

Definitely not in the traditional 'hobo' line of art.... Certainly unique..and now at $510 with four days to go....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I agree that this one wasn't for everyone, but still thought it was a fun one to share.

Sold earlier today for $960, so it seems someone really like it quite a bit!!!

:+1:

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see a wow sale, I like to see if there were more than 2 bidders interested. It seems there were top $960, 2nd $950, 3rd $700 4th $600.

Pretty impressive for a piece of art probably about the size of a 1 inch cube. I would need a magnifier to even see the detail.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool. It isn't 900 dollars cool for me in particular but a good conversation piece

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

Wow...$960...I like the piece... would never spend that kind of money for something like that.... Yes, a lot of work went into it and the artist deserves to be paid for his skill.... just not by me. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I thought it was very cool at 250, but 960? To each, his own. I think of all the cool things to be had for that kind of loot, and scratch my head. But then again, there are probably many who would scratch their heads bald at some of my purchases!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file