Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do the folks running the slabbing machine wear gloves?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something that I often ponder,,,,,,,,, I am sure that I have read that graders don't wear gloves when handling coins in the grading room but what about the guys doing the slabbing?

I know it would be impossible to get some coins in the gasket holder by only touching the rims and then a finger often runs over on the surface of the coin which could leave a partial print at some future date.

So do the guys or girls doing the slabbing wear rubber gloves? I think a surgical type glove would work fine to protect the coin while giving the handler complete control of the coin.

Does anyone know the answer to this question

GrandAm :)

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    edited December 30, 2016 5:24PM

While I am asking,,,,,,,, do they wear masks????????

Don't want them breathing all over my coins?

Maybe a sneeze guard like at the buffet?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 6:50PM

In another thread just today someone mentioned the story about the 1960's PF70 Lincoln that developed a fingerprint from a grader that PCGS had to buy back. Hopefully the lesson was learned at that time.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the PCGS Grading process video I saw...no and no.

With this being the cold & flu season...I shudder to think of what petri dish sample of germs are being ensconced with the coins going through their hands during the winter time.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

They determined the loss of dexterity from wearing gloves caused more issues than it solved, so no they don't.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    They determined the loss of dexterity from wearing gloves caused more issues than it solved, so no they don't.

Was that for the graders or the enslabulators?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk .... 'enslabulators'??? Is that a new numismatic term?? :D I think I like it...... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been extremely lucky to have seen the grading operations at several TPGS (not PCGS). What I have learned/heard is that the folks take very good care of our coins. Masks and gloves are not worn but a mask sounds like a good thing.

Accidents can happen but our coins are tough. Nevertheless, I was told that if anyone notices a fingerprint or what looks like a "new" scratch, etc on a coin they report it so things can be rectified or noted. The employees are good at what they do. Most have worked in their jobs forever unless they got promoted.

Bottom line...stop worrying about your coins, They are well cared for.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to hope they wore gloves, masks, and hairnets at the top 2 after winning a old white holdered ANACS coin years ago which under a 10x loupe had a booger stuck to the reverse.

NGC does have a air filtration system in the grading and slabbing areas.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    From the PCGS Grading process video I saw...no and no.

With this being the cold & flu season...I shudder to think of what petri dish sample of germs are being ensconced with the coins going through their hands during the winter time.

I'm sure "germs" (i.e. bacteria and virii) are inside our slabbed coins. But without water, they won't last too long.

In any case, what would it matter?

Are you worried they will poop on your coins? :#

• Options

As long as they don't grade over lunch and include part of a napkin in the slab like Accugrade, I'm happy

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@blister13 said:

As long as they don't grade over lunch and include part of a napkin in the slab like Accugrade, I'm happy

An image of an ancient bull. How strange, weird, looks like a keeper to me. Who else has one?

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I started as a "wet finger" dentist 1975 which was almost a decade before gloves were worn (never saw gloves in 4 yrs of dental school). I did a lot of root canals that require fine tactile skills and resisted gloves for fear of losing that sense of tough.

After a short time of using gloves for the more routine procedures and finally 100% of the time I found it made NO difference with no loss of fine motor skills.
    How can we have surgeons operating on us with such a disadvantage and do we
    hear of a surgeon slipping up due to wearing gloves?

I think it's unacceptable to not be wearing gloves

• Options
    edited December 31, 2016 9:31PM

Maybe someone who has seen the process could respond?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a slabbed 2016 Ft. Moultrie 5 ounce silver coin in MS69 DMPL last week with a full detailed thumbprint over an inch long on the coin's mirrored surface. I had to send it back for an exchange. Not sure if it was from a mint employee, the graders, or the encapsulator, but if they were in the FBI database, it would have been possible to find out, as the coin was clearly assaulted and it was a crime.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2017 3:17PM

I think if the station after the grading room had folks that wore gloves to put graded coin into gasket, then the slabber could handle the gasket by the edge and not the the coin. That is what i would do. I don't know how they do it.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2017 3:59PM

@AllCoinsRule said:
    The worst thing about grade inflation is the risk to the coins when they ultimately have to be regraded.

I remember some video once here about the grading process and the encapsulator didn't touch the coin and could put the plastic ring around it by just having the coin sit on the felt. He wasn't wearing a mask. And of course who knows what else may be lying on the felt surface.

For conditioning the felt, of course.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2017 5:29PM

Avocados are great for conditioning hair, but I am not sure of their use for that on felt.

Those 5 ounce slabs are oversize and hard for the coin to get in. My coin was probably pushed into place by a grader's thumb without a glove. It is the first one I have received like that, so it may have been a trainee?? Regardless, if the coin does not go into the holder safely by edge holding, then they should all wear gloves in my opinion after grading or use a soft material over the coin and then push it into the slab.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers...I assume you received a replacement with zero hassle....That is something that should not happen, since on mirror field silver coins, the print is visible immediately. I know this since I did it by accident once on a proof silver British coin.... only immediate corrective action (Dawn and hot, running water, followed by alcohol - to rinse, not drink) saved that coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel safe that the coins are graded and slabbed with care and remain clean.
    I do, however wonder how they put gold dollars and 3 cent silvers into the gaskets without touching them?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file