Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it wrong to ask for a partial shipping refund?

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller has two coins up with BIN's and instant check out. You hit the button and get them both (separate auctions) and get one ebay generated invoice with NO shipping discount (both shipping costs were just added together). Seller in the body of the auction had that he will combine shipping.
After check out you send seller a polite note requesting a shipping refund of half to your PP acct. (easy for seller to do). Seller ships coins and you are please with them. Seller never responds to your request. You get ignored.
Do you just eat it and move on, give a neutral or neg?
Happy New Year all!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 7:46PM

I would push for the combined shipping. Obviously he didn't pay for it at the post office (assuming 2 slabs in one box). But of course it could be a mistake...... I would send a polite e-mail again and see what happens. It's the busy season so maybe he missed your first e-mail. If you think you might buy from that seller again you might consider all options before neg or neutral.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask again

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Was thinking of waiting until next week to send another request....
    bob

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most sellers that combine shipping say to wait for THEM to send an invoice instead of paying the automatically generated eBay invoice.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 3:43PM

Mike's right it is not easy for a seller to give partial refund, should of requested a combined invoice before paying.

PayPal is geared to give total refunds I have found.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the seller and eBay need to work this issue out.
    It just be more of an eBay computed issue than the seller!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been tempted to at least 25 times when purchasing off the internet. I have asked Heritage.....Still not sure if they did.. :o

Thats why I offer free shipping..... no messes...

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

Had a buyer here aske for a partial refund of shipping cost...

Considering the price of the coin was as listed... I just paid for shipping out of my pocket.

This was a $1500 coin.

And this guy hounded me for a couple of bucks...

He sent me several PMs about this...

Will never do business again with him

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    I think that the seller and eBay need to work this issue out.
    It just be more of an eBay computed issue than the seller!

This.

No way should a Neutral or Negative should be given.

Ken

• Options

Yes, I was surprised to see the invoice instantly. I think ebay generated it but perhaps the seller was watching his auction? Who knows but yes, will try once more.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually ask once politely, then let it go.

I recently had someone who didn't give combined shipping on the invoice, then included four or five loose singles with an apology note in the package with the items I won.

When selling, I try to combine shipping. If someone jumps the gun and sends payment before I have a chance to adjust the shipping charges, sometimes I'll notice and send them a partial refund and sometimes I'll just leave things alone. I try to send invoices fairly promptly, but that usually means within an hour or so, not within a minute or so...

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay generates all invoices. It's an option for the seller to generate a subsequent invoice. On the other hand, the seller did not set up his eBay parameters correctly to allow for combined shipping discounts.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭

Paypal does allow for partial refunds, as I have given several in the past when buyers have paid too much for shipping.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

The items with instant payment required make this impossible.

I've had anything from a paypal gift show up unannounced from the seller to a $5 bill stuck in the package. Only one person blew me off and guess, what...won't buy there again. I left it in his feedback comment, but the price was low enough I didn't bother with a neutral or neg IIRC, but a neutral would be within reason if s/he is not honoring the parameters of the auction.

This is a likely unintended consequence of setting up the auction for immediate payment and anyone I asked has made it good. Of course, if you wanted to be awful you could claim you only got one package...unless s/he has tracking for two separate packages.

That said, a partial refund is do-able. I'd be irritated. Also, why I use free shipping in the BIN I have set up.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple things from being a seller on ebay 16 years.

Ebay takes about 10% of the amount paid for shipping. If the seller refunds your paypal, they are still out the 10%.

Depending on the price, less than $100 is covered by USPS and FedEx insurance. If you have 2 $75 items shipped together, the seller then needs to buy insurance, an extra cost.

A 1st class item could be $2.60 for 1 item, and $4.30 for 2 items, due to increase in weight.

Typically, I plan my shipping costs to about break even, not including packaging materials (I use a lot of bubble wrap). I have items with shipping costs listed on ebay over $100 an item, but these are big (think about a Top loader 4 speed transmission), and if the shipping costs are less than what the buyer paid, after costs, of more than about $2, I will refund the overage.

There is NO WAY I would ever leave a neg or neutral for shipping costs. The costs were listed, you do not know all the back story behind their cost structure, so let it go, and if you are not happy, then just do not buy from them again.

• Options

The items were two toned ASE's and the total was under $60. Shipping was $2.64 per coin. Both coins arrived in the same small padded envelope.
    I will not neg him/her no matter.
    bob

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 7:48PM

For that amount I'd just forget about it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

fogettaboutitandmoveon

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

To the OP - I have done this on a few occasions. I did not make payment instantly. Just sent a request for a seller generated invoice. No issues.

I have also made several partial refunds for excess shipping when buyers paid via the eBay generated invoice instead of waiting for my combined invoice. So it should not be a problem for your seller to do so.

As for your specific situation, wait till after the holidays and send a message. If extra cost was not too high then - let it go and call it more experience tuition.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file