Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need a camera!

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, so It's time. I've upgraded to Windows 10, and I need a new camera/lens, specifically for coin photography, for eBay auctions. I'm a novice, and I have only used point-and-shoot cameras in the past. I'd like to spend less than $700. Any recommendations?

For reference, I used to use a Sony DSC-S70, and after messing around with lighting, was able to get some great close-ups, for both raw and slabbed material. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

you won't like my advice, but I would get a mac, a cannon camera with a good sensor, and a cannon 100mm lens

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave,

You are bound to get a lot of "advice"....
    People have their preferences.

One guy that I have seen on the forums that takes great shots AND helps out with this type of thing would be Ray (rpmsrpms)

Ping him and see how much a setup would cost you as I think he does setups still.....

For me, I wouldn't go for a mac....never have liked them. I have a Nikon D90 and a Canon T4i.
    Both lines are pretty good. It's the lens that will make the key difference...lens and lighting. At least 100mm would be what I would suggest....especially in that price range.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 4:30PM

Buy the book before the camera?
    https://amazon.com/Numismatic-Photography-2nd-Mark-Goodman/dp/193399004X/
    Highly recommended in many threads on this forum, and only $18.

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! Upgrade to Windows 10. My experience was worse than terrible with Windows 10. Took my computer in and had it re-programed to Windows 7.

Good Luck.
    Ken

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fairlaneman said:
    Wow!! Upgrade to Windows 10. My experience was worse than terrible with Windows 10. Took my computer in and had it re-programed to Windows 7.

Good Luck.
    Ken

Life is too short to put up with ...........

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 12:33AM

I wanted to take high resolution pictures of my collection back in August. I finally bought a Sony Nex5n. I took some outstanding pictures with this camera using legacy lenses from the mid 70's. What's good about the Sony Nex camera is that old lenses from previous cameras can be used via adapter. I have used various Minolta MD and MC rokkor lenses, Petri, Vivitar F4 series, and Carl Zeiss lenses. Almost any lens can be adapted cheaply. The best thing is that some of these old lenses can be bought for less than $50. Compare that with new lenses which can cost $1000 or more.
    Here are a few examples take with a Sony Nex5n using a Vivitar TX Series 135mm f 2.5 lens. These photos are a low resolution of 72dpi modified from the originals taken at 300dpi. Those are so large they wont fit on this web site but are more useful for printing purposes.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fairlaneman said:

Good Luck.
    Ken

Going to Win10 is not something I would do on older hardware....nor specialized hardware. If your HW is older than a couple of years, I wouldn't do it.

Just like mac users most likely wouldn't try to install the latest on their hardware that is a few generations old.

While Windows doesn't cut off certain users/hardware for the newest and latest, there is a point where it just isn't worth it as things have moved ahead. Imagine wanting to put Win10 on your old 386 :)

I have Win10 on my tablet/touch (AIO) PCs at home but have kept Win7 on my main PC and my Media Center tv (MSFT removed Media Center and deprecated it starting in Win8, so Win7 was a must keep). Win7 is solid.
    For the tablets and AIOs, and my son's PC (he wanted WIn10 for the speed, and he built his own PC last year when he was 13), we have not had any issues.

Know which software/hardware you use that may not be compatible and either update it or live without. Regrettably, that's life in a tech world.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

@mrcommem said:

Great work on the images.
    Do you have a reverse photo of the 1857 half dime that you could share?
    I see the obverse has a cool repunched 1 and an interesting date position.

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

yosclimber,

Here is the reverse of the 1857 dime you requested. I didn't notice the repunched 1. It's amazing how much detail can be seen on a photo that you wouldn't normally see with a magnifier.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely recommend a Canon EOS body, primarily due to the software that comes with it. The software allows you to tether the camera to the laptop. I use a EOS 50d; plenty good for what you need. A used one will run about $275. A Tamron or Sigma Macro 100 to 150mm will work great for a LOT less $$ than a Canon lens. You'll also need a good copy stand with a 36" min. arm Look for a good used Kaiser if you can find one. The copy stand with lights is a must. Also get an AC battery replacement for the camera so you don't need to charge the battery.

Good luck!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone has their own preferences and apparently it works for them and are all happy with what they have and use.
    But!! I gotta say, I've been a shutterbug for decades and I prefer Nikon. That's what I use and does everything I want it to and more. They make great lenses too. Technique on how you use your camera box and lens preference goes a long way.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    I would definitely recommend a Canon EOS body, primarily due to the software that comes with it. The software allows you to tether the camera to the laptop. I use a EOS 50d; plenty good for what you need. A used one will run about $275. A Tamron or Sigma Macro 100 to 150mm will work great for a LOT less $$ than a Canon lens. You'll also need a good copy stand with a 36" min. arm Look for a good used Kaiser if you can find one. The copy stand with lights is a must. Also get an AC battery replacement for the camera so you don't need to charge the battery.

Good luck!

This.

• rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both Canon and Nikon. My walkaround camera is a Nikon, and I like its flexibility to use all my old and new Nikon lenses. My studio cameras are Canon, as they come with excellent free tethering software so you can control camera settings, frame and focus the shot, snap the shot, and download the image to the (free and excellent) editing program. If you want to do higher magnification stuff for varieties and such, Canon cameras also have a vibration-free shutter when in Live View that eliminates blurriness. A few high end Nikon cameras have this as well, but for Canon it's been in all their cameras since 2008. In fact the original Rebel XS 10.2MP camera is an excellent coin camera that can be purchased used for <$150, has vibration-free shutter, free software, and produces superb images.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2017 1:01PM

Thank you everyone for the great information. I know I can always count on you guys. I'll start researching now - Thank again!

P.S. Concerning Win10 - I bought a new DELL, and that's what came with it. Trying to stay positive but after using it a few months, I can't say I love it.

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to belabor the point, but my biggest beef with Win10 is the inability to turn off auto updates. My experience with all computers I have purchased with OS installed is that the hardware and installed software are specifically-tailored to work well with the OS, and that any changes tend to muck things up. Allowing auto updates to happen is asking for trouble, and eventually will leave you with a broken system. With older OS's you could turn off the updates, and your computer will keep working generally as it did when you bought/built it, except for the damage done by any software installations, worms/viruses, etc.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

@mrcommem said:
    yosclimber,

Here is the reverse of the 1857 dime you requested. I didn't notice the repunched 1. It's amazing how much detail can be seen on a photo that you wouldn't normally see with a magnifier.

Thank you!
    (I see my guess that it was a half dime is incorrect!).
    It looks like it is variety F-103:
    seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1857_103page.htm

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

Good luck!

I've been impressed with Jeff's coin camera work. His recommendations are 2nd-ed by me.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 11:14PM

Dave,

Even your old Sony DSC-70 will take superb photos for ebay auctions. Why? Because your skill as a coin photographer is far more dependent on your skill in lighting (and exposure and post processing) than it is what camera or lens you use. And the only way you get that skill is experience (although a few good books and mentors really help) -- time spent taking photos and tweaking lighting (and exposure, focus, etc.).

If you don't want to spend the time doing that -- and your primary goal is enhancing internet auction prices -- it doesn't matter what type of camera you get, as you'd probably be better off just sending your coins to a professional and having them photograph them for you. It would be cheaper and far less time consuming than buying a nice camera and learning how to use it well.

But if you want specific advice on a camera and lens, just get any of the newer Nikon or Canon SLRs and a dedicated 100mm-ish Macro lens (although I prefer a 200mm and the lighting flexibility the extra distance gives me). Jeff's suggestion to buy something with a remote shutter is very good advice -- although Nikon also supports this feature. I will add that a solid copy stand or tripod is also a must. Regardless of what you buy, I guess my point is only through practice will your photos will be improve, just like mine did:

That photo was taken with an old Nikon D300 with an even older Nikon 200mm Macro lens using Nikon Capture and Photoshop Elements on Windows.

Hope this helps...Mike

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2017 11:41PM

Any D-SLR will do. It's the least important element.

You need a sturdy copystand, a 100+mm macro lens, good lighting, and an editor.

Lighting is the most controversial. PCGS (Phil Arnold), Todd Pollack, the guy who wrote the book (Mark Goodman), Bryce (a scrappy and capable underdog) and many others prefer halogen or incandescent. My choice too. Messydesk has proven other lighting can work. (Apologies to those I've omitted.) Commit and experiment to get it right.

Point is, screw the computer and camera. Invest in the fundamentals and spend time learning.
    Lance.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting comments about lighting. Don't know whether it is good or bad but I am happy with the pictures I take. I use a mix of natural and incandescent lighting myself.

@lkeigwin said:
    Any D-SLR will do. It's the least important element.

You need a sturdy copystand, a 100+mm macro lens, good lighting, and an editor.

Lighting is the most controversial. PCGS (Phil Arnold), Todd Pollack, the guy who wrote the book (Mark Goodman), Bryce (a scrappy and capable underdog) and many others prefer halogen or incandescent. My choice too. Messydesk has proven other lighting can work. (Apologies to those I've omitted.) Commit and experiment to get it right.

Point is, screw the computer and camera. Invest in the fundamentals and spend time learning.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file