Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the earliest date coin that received a Proof or MS 70 grade?

It seems like Proof or MS 70's are a modern coin phenomenon but I could be wrong. What is the earliest dates with these rankings?

Comments

• Options

Probably the 70s. Might be some PF 70 60s coins but have to look and probably in NGC holder.

There was a PF 70 1968 or something Lincoln but I think it was resubmitted and was downgraded.

I have plans....sometimes
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember the date...but there is the infamous early 60's Lincoln cent that graded Pf 70 and later grew a fingerprint of supposedly one of the graders! Sold for megabucks and PCGS bought it back.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I don't remember the date...but there is the infamous early 60's Lincoln cent that graded Pf 70 and later grew a fingerprint of supposedly one of the graders! Sold for megabucks and PCGS bought it back.

That hurts on many levels....

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 5:15PM

I'm sure you can find that Lincoln cent thread around here. IIRC 1963 Lincoln in PF70 bidding for $40K or so. And I think it's now a trophy on the wall at PCGS.

From Condor 101 back in 2009:

"It got up to the 40K level in the pre-sale bidding and was expected to go a lot higher with the speculation that the buyer would then clobber PCGS on the grade guarantee. But then shortly before the sale PCGS came out and publicly announced that their guarantee would no longer be in effect on that coin. That killed the bidding and then after the sale they made a deal with the owner to buy it back and take it off the market. In short when they saw they were going to take it in the teeth they deliberately took steps to kill the market and limit their liability. (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/what-is-the-oldest-coin-graded-ms-70.56665/page-2)"

The same blog mentions PF70 1961 dimes.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/242156/the-infamous-1963-proof-70-d-cameo-lincoln-cent-to-be-auctioned-at-fun.....per this Forum thread it made it to $51K in bidding before it dropped down to the $35K reserve...apparently a buy back arranged between PCGS, auction house, and consignor.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file