Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Infamous 1963 Proof 70 D Cameo Lincoln Cent to be auctioned at FUN

Does everyone remember the Proof 70 D Cameo 1963 Lincoln Cent that was bought for $39,000 last year at FUN ?
Well its that time again !!!!

I'll bet it sells for less than $39,000

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Stewart
    Tell me your jokeing.imageimageimage
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be some spectacular PR70DCAM Lincolns offered in the Heritage FUN sale. If anyone truly takes the time to examine them ALL, I have no doubt it will be very easy to see the difference between the "run of the mill" coins and the monster specimens.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Don

The John Troy collection of 1959 to date Proof Lincoln cents will be auctioned by Heritage at FUN.
    The Roger Red Cents collection of Proof Lincoln Cents will be offered as we type on E Bay

Mitch - Have you seen John Troys collection?

stewart
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost hope they go cheap just so we don't have to go through all the bashing again.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    "Mitch - Have you seen John Troys collection?"

Stewart: No. Part of a near 200 coin consignment I gave to Heritage for FUN (including a variety of collectors' coins) included about 1/2 dozen very special PR70DCAM Lincolns which were put away many years ago because of their truly "PERFECT" quality. I know they will be standouts. Also, no doubt selections from the Tyoy collection will also be top of the line.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I almost hope they go cheap just so we don't have to go through all the bashing again.image >>

Yes, we should appreciate and look up to someone who pays nearly 40,000 dollars for a number on a piece of paper inside of a plastic holder. Give it a rest.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Let's see folks

We've got three Proof Indian cent collections up for auction.The #1 Palm Beach Collection,#2 Richard collection,and the #3 Bill Walser collection.

The David Poole collection of Lincoln Cents will be auctioned by Superior and the Mike Sadler collection of Lincoln cents will be auctioned by Heritage

The John Troy collection of Proof Lincoln cents will be auctioned by Heritage.The Roger Red Cents collection of Lincoln cents is being auctioned on E Bay

And a 200 coin consignment of Proof 70's from Wondercoin is also being auctioned

The #1 Washington Quarter Variety set is also being auctioned

Did I forget anything ?

Stewart
  • Options
    "And a 200 coin consignment of Proof 70's from Wondercoin is also being auctioned"

Stewart: I believe less than (10) coins in my consignment pakage will be PR70DCAM coins of any denomination.

But, you have missed several important consignments as well that I am aware of.

STEVE HELLER'S "HALL OF FAME" 50 PC. SILVER PCGS COMMEM COLLECTION WILL GO OFF AT FUN, AS WELL AS DAVID O'BRIEN'S #1 COLLECTION OF PROOF SEATED QUARTERS.

The Heller Commem set will include roughly a dozen or so Commem specimens that are about as good as they get for those types. The entire collection is wonderful, but those dozen or fifteen coins are simply amazing. As we get closer to the auction, I am confident Steve (Registrycoin) will stop by and discuss his own collection better than I can here. image

Wondercoin

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have to wonder ->

smart guys sell when the selling is good - does this mean there may be a correction in the coin market starting next year?
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Blay,
    You forgot to mention that Steve Stokley sold off his #1 (at the time) Proof Roosevelts from 1965-date and his super high grade MS Mercury dime set. White Fang sold off his #2 (at the time) complete Roosevelt high grade MS dimes to Wondercoin for 1 of his customers. Just to name 2 that also comes to mind.

Merry X-mas,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Where is all the info on these collections at the F.U.N. show? i go to the heitage site and the only preview i see is some darkside foreign stuff
    in a "enterprise collection". Are there some good Buffalo nickels in the auction?
    cladmaker
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    With all these great collections being sold at FUN, does that mean my complete 1909-2003 Lincoln proof set collection will be #1 on the PCGS registry??? Steveimageimageimage
  • Options
    That is a lot of collections!

Hmm, what are you all bidding on? I would like to bid on something else image

I'm thinking three top proof three cent sets will more than satisfy demand. What do you think? I will certainly be looking at those...
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Steve
    Don't get your hopes up.Doug isn't selling his Proof Lincolns and neither am I.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    zepzep Posts: 81 ✭✭
    I understand that the 2004 FUN auctions are going to have some other highlighted coins from last year's renowned Heritage copper auction.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be an awful lot of top sets being unloaded on the market. I wonder what that says about the state of things?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

I agree with some of the posted concerns. With all the small cents entering the market, does this signal a downturn around the corner? Will the market be able to continue to support absolutley crazy prices for some of these coins? My bet is that the Heritage sale may have a few bargains to be had in between all the "attention-getting, crazy-money, top-pops".
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The registry has driven the LIncolns and other REG sets to dizzying heights. If I had one I'd be looking for an out real soon. But since I am a seated liberty and type coin guy, and those have moved relatively little in the past 2 years...maybe 20%...I'll stand pat. Just hope all the people jumping out of 20th century registry sets don't help to tank the overall market.

I would bet that the 1963 Linc doesn't even bring $20K. And I would think $mid to high teens is all that it's worth in the plastic.
    A more realistic value might be $10K.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin itself is worth 50cents or so. Not sure what the insert is worth........
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof FE/IHC cents really haven't moved much over the past several years...if this is the top, it's been a very short, slow ride. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin itself is worth 50cents or so. Not sure what the insert is worth........ >>

Don't let cladking hear that, he will come un-glued. All moderns are worth millions...
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't let cladking hear that, he will come un-glued. All moderns are worth millions... >>

your funny!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if I am the only one here who thinks the only way that coin will meet the sellers reserve is if PCGS buys it to get it off the market?
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if I am the only one here who thinks the only way that coin will meet the sellers reserve is if PCGS buys it to get it off the market? >>

No.
  • Options

I do not believe John Troy's Proof Lincoln cent collection will be reserved.So whatever Trade Dollar Nut will pay for the coin will be the NEW market.

TDN - I wasn't suppose to say anything but Laura said that Trade Dollar Nut will soon be known as Proof Lincoln Memorial Nut.Good Luck in bidding on the 63 !!!

Stewart
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think it will even bring $5K. After all the publicity it's gotten, is there really anybody out there willing to subject themselves to the ridicule?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Russ here on possible level...maybe not for the same reasons though. I'm just not sure who the winner (and even more importantly, the underbidder) will be.

RELLA

Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    After all the publicity it's gotten

As much as we think so sometimes, the world does not revolve around this chatroom. Was there other publicity?
  • Options

<< <i>Was there other publicity? >>

Does all the dealers holding it up for comparison when selling their coins count? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Was there other publicity? >>

Here was some:

• Options
    I have no idea who the underbidder was last time

BUT an auction does not just go from $1 to $39,100

with the possible exception of a eBay live when you hit the "bid now" button

It kind of reminds me of an auction I was at yesterday - one lot was a 1845 half dollar PCI MS64 that went for $95 - the only slight problem was that it was a walking liberty 1945

Everyone there knew (except maybe the auctioneers) - so about 45 minutes later, they brought it out again and sold it for $45 - same bidders and buyer - bizarre
  • Options
    Heck, I'm going to bid at least 15K for it. What do you mean it's only worth 50c. Isn't this a 70DCAM, a pop one. If it sold for $39,100 before, isn't 15K a steal?
  • Options
    You forgot your smiley!!!!! image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TDN - I wasn't suppose to say anything but Laura said that Trade Dollar Nut will soon be known as Proof Lincoln Memorial Nut.Good Luck in bidding on the 63 !!!

LOL!
    Doug
  • Options

I heard it through the grapevine

At the last sale the under bidder was a guy named bilbee who has a registry set called Laurens Lincolns.Perhaps he knows something nobody else understands.

Stewart

TDN - I won't bid if u don't bid
  • Options
    TDN - I won't bid if u don't bid

Stewart: that would be collusion. image

Right here and now I say for all to hear that I wouldn't own that coin if you gave it to me free.

Stewart: that's being selective.... legally! image
  • Options
    TDN

How much would I have to pay you to bid to win the coin?

Stewart

PLMN - Proof Lincoln Memorial Nut
  • Options
    Hmmm - brown paper bags to cover my head in shame .... 2 cents times 365 days times 42 years remaining life expectancy ...... image
  • Options
    Does the sellingn indicate a market top? Only if there are not enough bidders to drive prices higher. We won't know anything until AFTER the auction. However, it is suspicious.... cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options

IMO Selling Registry Sets is like starting a WAR. The economy has always gotten better after a war.Coin prices seem to go higher after a major registry set is sold.

stewart
  • Options
    I predict that the buyer does not try the crackout game and resubmit on this coin

unless it is PCGS
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I predict that the buyer does not try the crackout game and resubmit on this coin

unless it is PCGS

im sure stewart wouldnt be covering the sale of an acg 70dcam

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sets that surge in price need a cooling off period to digest their gains before they either resume their climb, or begin their descent.

That has been the order of the coin collecting hobby since the beginning of time. Now, that I have said something utterly profound image, we can move onto what has happend in the past few years.

First, the mercs got hot, then Frankies, then Washington quarters, then buffalos, then the indian head cents, then the lincoln cents, back to the Washington quarters, then the Walkers, then back to the lincoln cents, now the Saints, back to the Walkers and Saints, then .....who knows??? (Well, I knowimage)

Will the 63DCAM hit new highs or collapse? Who knows? As someone said maybe the buyer bought it beacuse he/she thought it would upgrade? imageimageimage. But a single coin's rise and fall is hardly the determinant of an entire series or market.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    then .....who knows??? (Well, I know)

Com'on Oreville. Quit holding out! (Or are you waiting to publish your Investment Newsletter?) image
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    Where is all the info on these collections at the F.U.N. show? i go to the heitage site and the only preview i see is some darkside foreign stuff
    in a "enterprise collection". Are there some good Buffalo nickels in the auction?
    cladmaker

Anybody?image
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I sent you a quick PM caitlin.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    whose auction is the pf70 dcam pcgs 1963 cent in??and what is the lot number??

i bet it goes for 45k as it is in a really collected hot series and is the finest known pop one with none better

michael
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>whose auction is the pf70 dcam pcgs 1963 cent in??and what is the lot number??

i bet it goes for 45k as it is in a really collected hot series and is the finest known pop one with none better

michael >>

Michael, I hope you are jesting.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Michael, I hope you are jesting. >>

Sounds like a safe bet.

Most people who would want the coin will hold back because of the publicity.
    It would be surprising if it sold at all.
    Tempus fugit.