Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detectors for Christmas

How many of you got your very first metal for Christmas this year? Have you been able to try it out yet?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife said I have enough.... six here and one at my daughter's in NC...for the beach. :D Glad she does not say that about firearms....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DantesDadDantesDad Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I bought one for my father as well as both of my boys for Christmas. I'm hoping to get my dad on these forums with me so we can learn together where to go and the best way's to detect.

Always buying and looking for a deal.
  • Options

Great idea... always fun to have someone to MD with.... and asking questions here is a good way to learn. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 10 yr old son got a MD from Santa this year, it was entirely his idea and I whole heartedly encouraged him. I had one back in my teenage years and while I never found much with it, the thrill of the hunt was something I remember fondly.

With the unseasonably warm weather in the northeast over the weekend, he asked to go out and use it for the first time. We went to a local baseball diamond where I recommended we search around the benches and bleachers where people would sit during games. I showed him how to center the signal, carefully dig a plug, even more carefully break it apart, and how to fill in all of the holes. In addition to a handful of bottle caps and nails, we pulled $0.36 from the ground (one quarter, dime, and cent each).

Hard to say if he's hooked, but I will forever remember the look on his face when he pulled that quarter out of the dirt. He also wants to go into the local forest where he goes for hikes with his grandfather to look for "really old stuff".

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

@seanq, great to hear! I have had moderate success hunting in the foul areas along the 3rd and 1st base lines. My theory is this is where teams leave their equipment when doing practices.

• Options

@seanq.... that is great... neat to see kids find 'treasure'...he may be 'hooked', but I would recommend you accompany him on searches...unless it is your back yard.... Cheers, RickO