Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever list a coin on E-bay with a really high BIN......

Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2016 2:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

But don't truly intend to sell it and then you get an offer that makes you think twice?
I listed a coin for 4x what I purchased it for and received and offer for 3x. We are not talking a high dollar or irreplaceable coin , I paid just under $30 shipped for it. If he had hit the BIN at $120 it would be a done deal and I would've had to ship it out but because it was just a best offer for $90, which is still fantastic, i'm having a hard time hitting that accept button. If I can't make up my mind then i'm thinking I should just hold onto it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322371733662?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Has anyone else ever been in a similar position and what did you decide to do?

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent a coin out yesterday because they hit that BIN during the night and I woke up to the notice. Not quite as good as your spread but I still made about 50% over my cost and I had planned on upgrading that coin sometimes in the futher. BTW the upgrade is on the way to my house now.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did you list it if you didn't want to sell it????

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bobby Sue would "Take the money and run",,,,,,

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y7KjQrUVJ10

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

You and everybody else!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Someone bought a bunch of ASE's once and just after the silver price took a big dip. See buyer not paying right away, and feeling a little "bad" for him, sent message will send an extra ASE. Buyer paid within 5 min. Message the buyer and ask him to retract bid and resubmit at what you think is "fair".. :)

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be they bought it at your price for reasons unknown to you.
    I think lot of us have paid more than list for a variety of reasons ie: strike,toned, slab etc.
    If you listed it too low would you feel the same?

Things are worth what someone is willing to pay.

Hit the accept and put money in your eBay bank for your next purchase!

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2016 2:13PM

I have listed items on ebay before to "test the waters" on the value and have received many "bites" and eventually sold them. It is only "stuff"...counter with a "meet in the middle" offer and go from there. You never know, they may "bite" or you will end up with an empty hook.

Most of my ebay listings have a little room for "haggling" and to cover the fees. Sometimes people want it now and snap it up as BIN. There are times where forum members see my items and contact me via PM and we go from there...quite a few successful transactions have taken place "off line".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer thinks he is getting a good deal...you think you are making money...win/win...not sure why you are questioning it...

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess someone 'really' wanted that particular coin, look and date.? :sweat:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone liked the toning and maybe the date is also special to them? As was said, counter with what you think is fair ($105?) or accept the offer if you can spend the money on something better.

My one example of something selling for multiples was a PCI toned Franklin. I like the holder and the color but the offer was too good to pass up. Plus I was able to use the funds on some new toners.

Here is that coin:

• Options

@291fifth said:
    When has anyone ever listed a coin on eBay that did not have a very high BIN?

Here :D :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1882-O-Morgan-Dollar-90-Silver-/172414917605?hash=item2824badbe5:g:iHIAAOSwA3dYMV35

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate when people list things on eBay with unreasonable BINs... but I've seen so many of those listings get sold at the BIN price that I can't fault the sellers for doing it.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2016 4:19PM

@291fifth said:

Here's another one. I'm surprised it even made it 19 hours. 1881-S Morgan MS-66PL in a Doily Holder for $525.00

ebay.com/itm/1881-S-Morgan-Dollar-PCGS-MS66PL-GEM-BEAUTY-/351921577499?hash=item51f0291e1b%3Ag%3A1IIAAOSwx2dYDmOh&nma=true&si=gGnCWojgO%252BMukn9irvOybinOcb4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice of you :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2016 6:20PM

imo, you are nuts not to have dumped that at $90 by now. a low-end toner, modest grade, old holder with a big premium. i see them better than that for less fairly often and sell them in the $80-120 range. it is just a modest blue partial ring toner, which is probably all from the holder. if it is a nice under-graded coin as your images almost suggest, that is another matter. yours is a coin i would maybe buy at $35 in that holder. i just see too much of that unimpressive toning. (to my eyes) - especially on dollars.

not knocking your coin, just for not moving it at such a nice price already.

disclaimer - the images aren't very good imo and could be underplaying the toning/surfaces .

and if 44-s is a tough toner year, i eat my words and recommend you hold out! :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

If I had an offer on that coin of 90 bucks the only relevant word would be "SOLD" and in a heartbeat.

take the offer :)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing it looks better in-hand. Scanner used for the pic?
    I'm also guessing it would likely get 65 at least, if resubmitted today.

Is it core to your collection? An absolute keeper? Could you find something else you wanted for less than your potential price on this? All things to think of, imho.

I haven't done a high BIN on ebay with no intention of selling, but I did, years back, show a toned peace dollar (NGC), in a thread about toned peace dollars. I was PMed out of the blue asking me "how much?"

I hadn't planned on selling it. and I probably paid about what you paid for that quarter, and I put a price similar to what you put...I was offered about what you were offered I think. I recall accepting it.

I do "miss it" sometimes, as, to me, and obviously to the "new" owner, it was a really nice coin. MS63 I believe. Very common date, very common grade. Not so common toning, and nice toning (non-rainbow) at that.

However, I am sure I used the funds on other coins that were a better match to our collection, as we don't do peace dollars.
    I've also since picked up a couple more toned peace dollars...but I haven't put up pics here....maybe out of fear that someone would want them ;)
    Nicely toned peace dollars don't come around that often.....do nicely toned 1944-S quarters?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

200% profit, what was the question again?
    Sell that puppy.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Sell now.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Counter with the amount you are willing to sell it for.

This

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the early days of eBay I would list things now and then that I had no intention of selling with a really high reserve just to see what the bid might go to.

That was back in the day when you could track what other people were bidding on - if you knew a dealers handle, it was VERY handy. :lol:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Decline the offer and change the BIN to $500 OBO
    That should drive everyone away.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old ANACS holder, nice toning. Perhaps the buyer thinks there's a huge upgrade potential or a premium market for the toning. Still a nice coin if it doesn't work out for the new owner (and a nice profit for you).

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they thought they were buying that sweet no stars coin in your avatar!!! :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not sell coins, however, having been in business (not coins) for many years, I can tell you that the proper response would be 'sold'. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most US dealers who sell Canadian coins that have been graded by either NGC or PCGS fall into this category.

They forget that a Canadian coin should be priced 35% LESS of catalogue to compensate for the Canadian dollar and then another 40% LESS to account for our depressed market.

(ex> Canadian coin trends for $250 Canadian, when priced in USD should be about $115 USD. But try to tell them that!).

So many Canadian coins are collecting dust on Ebay.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice, but I would sell at $90

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 9:28AM

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Most US dealers who sell Canadian coins that have been graded by either NGC or PCGS fall into this category.

They forget that a Canadian coin should be priced 35% LESS of catalogue to compensate for the Canadian dollar and then another 40% LESS to account for our depressed market.

(ex> Canadian coin trends for $250 Canadian, when priced in USD should be about $115 USD. But try to tell them that!).

So many Canadian coins are collecting dust on Ebay.

No offense but my experience with Canadian dealers at shows is they are mostly pretty cheap! Most seem to want to triple up. Also don't forget there is a fairly strong collector base here in the US! I've sold quite a bit of Canadian in the last year at double what you think coins should be priced at. Much across the border. That was killed when the USPS doubled the shipping costs. :(

PS Shipping a Canadian Quarter to Italy today!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would grade it 66 and nice toning. 90 bucks seems fair to me.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

@jtlee321 said:

@291fifth said:

Here's another one. I'm surprised it even made it 19 hours. 1881-S Morgan MS-66PL in a Doily Holder for $525.00

ebay.com/itm/1881-S-Morgan-Dollar-PCGS-MS66PL-GEM-BEAUTY-/351921577499?hash=item51f0291e1b%3Ag%3A1IIAAOSwx2dYDmOh&nma=true&si=gGnCWojgO%252BMukn9irvOybinOcb4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That would never go PL today.

Like so many of those old holders, the reverse is not PL at all, thus the PL designation back then.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 9:16AM

People pay 90-100 bones for a junk silver quarter??? Line em up...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks undergraded to me.

• Options

Interestingly enough this coin has now sold twice this month. I was bidding on the auction and remembered this thread. It looks like the bin listing went for 100 and then the buyer sold it for 86 via auction. It looks like 85-100 is the market price for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANACS-1944-S-MS64-WASHINGTON-SILVER-QUARTER-TONE-COLOR-PQ-/112341702671?hash=item1a2816580f:g:7egAAOSwXYtY0AyB&amp;nma=true&amp;si=eZEQzKO7GRSNJ1u4CyBvPFxuJPU%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never list a buy it now for less than I am willing to accept. I never use "make offer."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a coin where examples with average eye appeal sell for around $200. The example I had was a monster though and very pretty, so much so that I paid around $1000 for it. I didn't really want to sell it fast as I really liked the coin and wanted to show it off for awhile so I listed it on eBay for $1699.95 or best offer. That same day, within a couple hours of listing it, I got an offer for $1500. Was not home at the time and saw it come through on my phone... figured I'd accept the offer later in the day once I got back home as I was pretty happy with that offer. About 15 minutes later though, that same person who made the offer ended up doing the buy it now and paid the full price... I guess they didn't want to miss the coin! Although it was a relatively quick and easy profit, part of me still regretted selling the coin so quickly and I knew I'd miss it... but I got over it :)

:+1:

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 4:02PM

That 1944-s quarter was the coin that I was talking about when I started this thread. I paid 27.02 for it with bad pictures. Listed it on eBay for $120 and got an offer for $90, I countered with $100 and the buyer bailed. Ended up getting an offer for $100 a couple weeks ago and accepted from the guy who just sold it on Monday for $86. I actually put in a couple bids to try and win it back under my sale price.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've listed a few of my favorite coins with high buy it nows just to see what happens, and have sold a few of them for a nice profit. You never know if you don't put it out there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file