Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will my Morgan grade? At what? 1902 S Pawn shop find.

Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2016 4:59AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey guys, new here! Found this Morgan at a pawn shop for $24, it's the best coin I have ever found myself. I have posted it on a few forums and showed it to a few people, general consensus was that it is high to low AU condition, especially for a weakly struck year Morgan dollar. However, I really want to get this graded as it will be my best coin in my collection and I found it! Now comes the bad part on the reverse it has this weird nick out of the rim. What do you guys think? Will my coin grade or will it get details? Thoughts on what grade it might get? No cleaning, mint luster is great (cartwheel effect), signs of very light circulation, overall a great coin except for the rim argh! I have never had a coin graded before, a local coin company offered to send it to PCGS for me as they have sent thousands and thousands of coins to them, no extra charge. Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spartcom5.... Welcome aboard. IMO, likely not worth slabbing.... you can self slab for preservation purposes. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Choice AU, with the rim nick, not sure how grading would see that, I have seen them go both ways.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely 53 with about a 50% shot at 55. If you are doing an album set of Morgans, this coin is perfect for such a set.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like AU 55.And MS 69 for the nails:)

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, rim nick is a problem. The marks on the right field seem to be die polish marks (raised) rather than hairlines. Still, Only AU 53ish in grade.

Still worth about $200 to someone.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you really want to do it so I would encourage you to send it in.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 to me. How much is the grading fee the dealer will charge? It's a $200 coin but may not be worth the fee as it stands on its own merits.

Also, does it fit in with your collection? It's obviously a great score but you could just sell it.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU Details. Sorry no number for this one.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2016 9:05AM

58/60 details. Whether it net grades or goes genuine is another story. Don't see that rim cut as a big deal on an AU coin. I would net it down to AU55 for the obv marks, dark stains, rim cut, and the likelihood of some light hairlines. It does not looked cleaned or anything and could easily get a 53/55/58 grade.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

58, send it in.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

Some services see rim hits as problems on numerical grades, otherwise the coin is a good one. http://i.imgur.com/W4P3e8N.jpg

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

55 maybe 58 , should grade easily

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pocket carried, commerce used. AU and should get the grade of 55 or 58.
    Go for the grading as it's a learning experience. C4, single berry reverse?
    bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

The luster is just not original looking, so it would get body bagged by PCGS

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58, shot at 62. Rim bump is a coin flip but worth a a try. I have had some grade.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2016 8:47AM

I'll call it AU58 also. The rim bump isn't into the reeds or the dentils, Inconsequential.
    The angled color image below of the obverse causes me to re-evaluate the grade to no better than AU 53.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I think it would straight grade AU55 and welcome to the boards.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Yeah, rim nick is a problem. The marks on the right field seem to be die polish marks (raised) rather than hairlines. Still, Only AU 53ish in grade.

Still worth about $200 to someone.

This date is notorious for having roller marks, but they wouldn't be raised.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he will send it in free of charge I don't see any reason not to. Looks great for the price.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 to me. What's the pit on the neck?

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    AU55 to me. What's the pit on the neck?

I would think if it was anything bad one of the 15 guys I had look at would have said something about it... Upon closer inspection it looks like gunk/dirt of some sort. Hard to tell if there is a ding or abrasion there, almost positive it's dirt. I took some much better pictures, the best I can take with my phone at least. Hopefully these will help some more!

• Options

Look at the striations on this coin...

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing the last pic my estimation went from 55 to 50. The first pic of the obverse makes the coin look to be in a much nicer looking condition than the last one. I am not able to advise on whether to send in or not.

• Options

I agree--latest picture doesn't flatter the coin.
    My grade estimation went down as well.
    It looks possibly cleaned from that angle, and I still don't like the neck thing.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2016 12:08AM

Hmm I agree as well about the last picture, but I will say the flash leaves all the good out of the coin and amplifies all the negatives. Should I hold off on sending my coin? What are the best coin holders on the market for preservation? One of the many reasons why I was interested in having my coin graded for!

• Options

I don't think I would slab it.
    If you're just going to hang onto it, there is really no reason to.
    I would just put it in a 2x2 or if you're worried about surface preservation a rigid non-PVC flip.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin for the money!

Welcome to the boards!

• Options
    edited December 28, 2016 11:43AM

Nothing changed for me with the new photos. Looks like a slider unc that spent some time in a wooden box or drawer banging around. The last time I bought some coins loose out of wooden box from a dealer there was a MS63 1872 quarter in there....being sold as XF/AU. I got my $500 purchase price on everything else....sold the 1872 separately for $1200 as NGC MS63. The box left some hairlines on that coin. Today, it would likely grade MS64.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin for the money. Grade it if you want. That's the nice thing about coin collecting.... you can do it however you want to do it. I would say a 53 is the grade in my opinion

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is AU, would sell st $45. Not worth slab cost.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Cougar, this is a 1902-S. It's worth more than $45 in every grade higher than G4.

It still may not make sense to have graded as the spread is small between XF and AU grades. You could probably get close to $200 raw and you aren't going to get more than $220 even in a 55 holder. That said, it depends on how it fits with your collection. What are your current goals?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wolf359 said:
    Cleaned....sorry.

Welcome yes it is cleaned don't waste your $$$, Keep looking for a better one.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Needs an acetone dip imo, or other product like "Restor" to get off substance.

• Options

Be sure to let us know if you send it in and the results. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Bid is $200 for AU50
    That's a score!

• Options

@Spartcom5 said:

I would think if it was anything bad one of the 15 guys I had look at would have said something about it...

15 guys look at it? What did the 15 guys say? Time to send it in and get it over with.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2016 11:02AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    It is AU, would sell st $45. Not worth slab cost.

Please sell me all your XF/AU 1902-s Morgans for $45. On the flip side, I'd hate to be the collector selling one of these to you for $30-$35 so you can turn a profit. At least I'd expect the pawn shop to only pay $14 for one. This 1902-s Morgan would fit nicely in someone's raw XF/AU set.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an excellent example of how photographs can change the look of a coin!

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Spartcom5 said:

I would think if it was anything bad one of the 15 guys I had look at would have said something about it...

15 guys look at it? What did the 15 guys say? Time to send it in and get it over with.

All said AU for sure but a couple were dicey of the chip and said it could go either way. I'm gonna send it in soon! I'm way to curious at this point not to lol.> @Rollerman said:

What an excellent example of how photographs can change the look of a coin!

Yes! Isn't it? I took a photo of one of my MS 62 I bought for $20 and it looks pretty bad!! Graded by NGC, maybe I'll make a thread on it! Anyways the most recent pictures I took, I purposely made them look bad to show off only the bad, coin looks 10x in person. I think the least it would grade is AU details at this point.

• Options

Quick update.... The coin made it to PCGS for $26.50 through a friend. I'm hoping it gets AU details.... no body bag please!! It's only $26.50 so to me at least it's worth the curiosity!

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

An angle grinder will get rid of that nasty rim nick.

Cheers

Bob

• Options

Now the wait begins..... You could run a pool on how long it will take... sort of a 'guess the date' contest.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

If you were hoping for a details grade you wasted money. The coin might be worth less in a details holder than it is raw. Were you just curious what PCGS would say? I have a lot of coins like that but it has to make financial sense given what I want to do with the coin. If you are starting out get lots of free opinions first (and you did that) or you'll be spending a ton in fees.

• Options

Fingers crossed!

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

I say it doesn't make it, the rim ding could be hidden by a prong though, just saying.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

Keep us posted. I hope it works out and straight grades. :)

• Options

@david3142 said:
    If you were hoping for a details grade you wasted money. The coin might be worth less in a details holder than it is raw. Were you just curious what PCGS would say? I have a lot of coins like that but it has to make financial sense given what I want to do with the coin. If you are starting out get lots of free opinions first (and you did that) or you'll be spending a ton in fees.

I would be ecstatic if it full grades seriously. Right now it's my best coin in my small collection and the fact I went out and found it is even better. It's the first coin I have ever gotten graded as well. And $26 is worth it to me atleast to see what happens. I don't think I'll have any interest in selling it so a details holder isn't bad...... But obviously a full grade would be absolutely amazing! I've had atleast 50+ opinions on it by this point, should be fun to see what happens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file