Home Sports Talk
Options

Never mind........season over!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2017 9:47AM in Sports Talk

We have clinched everything and with all the injuries around the league today......might should give it some thought.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resting them is a smart move, not playing them at all is another story.

• Options

@perkdog said:

I know what you are saying....but all it takes is 1 play....

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

History has shown that completely sitting players after clinching backfires come playoff time. Hard to rekindle that kind of mojo.

You can't play this game scared.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I know what you are saying....but all it takes is 1 play....

And that one play can happen anytime, believe me I am the biggest complainer about Bellichek stupidly leaving Brady in late in games during blowouts forcing the ball downfield to Edelman ect.. possibly the most absurd coaching decision ever was putting Gronk in for a freaking extra point attempt in a game that was already won and he breaks his forearm! You gotta keep these guys in form so by all means let them play a half or at least a quarter then pull them out.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest is good , I bet the Raiders wished they could have rested Carr, now they are most likely screwed. Maybe Dallas should rest Prescott and Elliot a little before the universe does it for them.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to know. Bill Walsh used to sit his starters after they clinched and the Niners never seemed to play rusty once the playoffs started but it has backfired on others. Interesting whether Romo will get to check his sea legs out or not.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2016 10:42AM

Romo probably does need some work in a real game......just in case Prescott gets injured. Zeke can share more of the load with Morris & Macfadden.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

Put Romo out there for both games if he looks good maybe someone will inquire about him. There are at least 10 teams that need QB's . The Jets , the broncos , the texans blah blah blah

• Options

The Texans can't afford another big money free agent QB, but I do agree getting Romo in there for a bit to potentially showcase he still has it would be a smart move

• Options

I wouldn't wish Romo on anybody.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I wouldn't wish Romo on anybody.

If you want him off your team then someone needs to want him on theirs . Think of all the money thats tied up in him and they are in 1st place in spite of it. That's dead money with him propping up a clipboard. The other teams need to see he can still play. I'm not saying Dak is the next Tom Brady , but Bledsoe had to come in and win a playoff game in 2001. He found a different job after that.

• Options

I really think he should retire before he gets hurt again.......and maybe bad enough to affect the rest of his life.

But if he wants to play again....it will have to be somewhere else. And yes we could use the money to get some more D.

• Options

Jerry Jones wants to rest prescott so he plans to play Mark Sanchez instead of Romo is the latest rumor.

If true that would officially make Jones the stupidest owner of a pro football team ever. I can't process the idea on any level. Has Romo played in a real game in the last year? Beyond showing him off to potential suitors before the off season , what happens if Dak gets hurt in the playoffs? Does it make sense to replace him with a guy that hasn't played in a year in an emergency situation ? I guess I'm just naturally assuming if Dak gets hurt Romo goes in , and not Sanchez .

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Jerry Jones wants to rest prescott so he plans to play Mark Sanchez instead of Romo is the latest rumor.

If true that would officially make Jones the stupidest owner of a pro football team ever. I can't process the idea on any level. Has Romo played in a real game in the last year? Beyond showing him off to potential suitors before the off season , what happens if Dak gets hurt in the playoffs? Does it make sense to replace him with a guy that hasn't played in a year in an emergency situation ? I guess I'm just naturally assuming if Dak gets hurt Romo goes in , and not Sanchez .

Disagree. As much as I dislike JJ, he's playing his hand beautifully this time.

First off, Romo is as good as gone from Dallas. Therefore, his trade value is paramount. If he plays in Week 17 and either reinjures himself or leaves an acrid smell on the field (the dude hasn't taken an NFL snap in over a year), you can forget about luring a desperate GM in.

And trust me, there are plenty of those. Take a quick look around the league at some of the QB situations. But don't look too long, because you'll turn to stone.

Jerry possesses the leverage, therefore it simply is not worth the risk to play him. All he has to do is bloviate about how good Romo looks in practice, and when the dust settles he'll receive the compensation he desires.

And as far as "if" Dak gets hurt, you know what they say about ifs and buts -- if they were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

• Options

I don't know who would stink up the field worse......Sanchez or Romo. Either one makes me puke.

I'll agree with galaxy27 here. Romo is a better trade bait not injured and people somehow remembering his good plays and not all the game losers.

If Dak gets hurt were are DONE......stick a fork in us and pass the gravy.

• Options

So the thinking is Romo is more likely to make a bad impression than a good one so let the other guys look at the old film ? Thats probably true I guess :D

• Options

Romo is going to fetch a buyer regardless.

• Options

If the thinking is for Romo to showcase himself for potential suitors, what honestly is to be expected from a guy who hasn't played in over a year and won't have a full compliment of starters at his disposal?

I just think the ceiling is capped and the downside is endless for such a move. I don't think the Cowboys will ever play him again unless they absolutely, positively have to.

• Options

Romo has thrown his last INT for the Cowboys!

I can't tell you HOW HAPPY I am!! If you remember from the thread started before the season started about how we were doomed because of Romo's injury.......and I stated we were better off......I just didn't realize HOW MUCH better off!!

• Options

I could see Dak as league MVP , anyone else ?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

He is definitely on the list. Along with Zeke, Rodgers and several others. I don't really care...all I want is another Vince Lombardy Trophy to go with the 5 we have.

• Options

TD Romo! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    TD Romo! LOL!

Somehow I thought I would hear this. Good for Tony....he makes a very good backup. LOL!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Possible but I think Brady deserves it

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Dimeman- who do you want to face next? Packers or Giants?

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

No question....Packers.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

No question....Packers.

I can see that but it's hard to beat a team 3 times in one season

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

No question....Packers.

mark

We actually beat ourselves in both of those losses.

• Options

If I'm a DC fan, I'm dying for a piece of the Giants.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    If I'm a DC fan, I'm dying for a piece of the Giants.

that is another way to look at it. Then go to the SB and play and beat the Steelers. That would make us both having 6 SB wins and we would be 2-2 in SB's. That would be just PERFECT!!!

• Options

Can you really call yourself the best if you're running scared from a team? If you truly think the Cowboys are ring-worthy, then you should be salivating at the thought of ending the Giants' season.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Can you really call yourself the best if you're running scared from a team? If you truly think the Cowboys are ring-worthy, then you should be salivating at the thought of ending the Giants' season.

Some teams just give you more trouble than others. The Giants are NOT that good. We lost to them (beating ourselves) yet beat a very good Steelers team.

• Options

The Giants have the cowboys number , Cowboy's are doomed if they play the Giant's. Take it from a Pat's fan :D

• Options

Can't wait to watch Rodgers carve up that Dallas secondary.. :D

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Can't wait to watch Rodgers carve up that Dallas secondary.. :D

He sure carved up the Giants....which warmed the cockles of my heart. But we will contain him in the pocket where he can't do so much damage. Also we will chew up the clock with long TD drives.

That's my plan and they better stick to it. B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

No question....Packers.

mark

We actually beat ourselves in both of those losses.

No. Actually the Giants beat you in both of those games. Give them credit. Anyways you got what you wished for

M

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful of what you wish for.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Hopefully this game between the Pack & The Cowboys is as good as I think it will be, I'm rooting for Dallas

• Options

Good luck Dimeman!

mark

• Options

Rut roh...

• Options

It's not over til it's over. :)

• Options

Claiborne getting away with murder on the holds on Adams.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Claiborne getting away with murder on the holds on Adams.

The officiating has been putrid.

mark

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait til they finally call Claiborne for holding and he will be Mr Clean. :(

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I blame Prescott for all the points the Packers are scoring. Can you feel me Dimeman?

• Options
    edited January 15, 2017 5:31PM

Finally a close game. Thank goodness

Prescott and Elliot are so impressive

mark

• Options

we should be paying money to watch this

• Options

Wow, just wow!

• Options
    edited January 15, 2017 6:05PM

Dallas came out like the Patriots did last night , soft in their own building after the bye. Unfortunately they weren't matched up against the Texans and it cost them. So they will be resting everyone now ... and maybe golfing :o .
    I'm disappointed , I was pulling for them but that looked like a good call on that last catch at least so it won't be like 2014 where they were robbed at the end.

• Options

Dak made a critical rookie mistake and it cost them

mark