Edward VI 1547-53 Sixpence S-2483

Mary 1553-54 Groat S-2492

Philip & Mary 1554-58 Groat S-2508

Elizabeth I 1558-1603 Shilling S-2555

Milled Sixpence S-2594

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding group... thanks for sharing them. I like them all

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

beautifull pictures, beautifull patinas, beautifull portraits and clear legends . Amazing collection <3 eye candy,thanks for sharing

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent.
    That's a great collection!

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great matching set!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful, historically important group!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are fantastic, would welcome all to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff! Thanks for sharing.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

An outstanding group of coins.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beautiful coins. I'm still looking for a Queen Mary coin to finish my Tudor set; then I can move on to the biggie: House of York/Lancaster.

Steve

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunners all.

To pick a personal favorite, I'd have a hard time between the Edward VI sixpence, the Elizabeth I shilling, or the Queen Mary groat. I really like the obverse of that last.

As for the slightly later "Philip & Mary" groat, I didn't realize there were some with Philip's name but only Mary's bust on the coin. I'm more used to seeing those types with the two facing busts, though embarrassingly, I now forget what denomination those coins were.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • OrfewOrfew Posts: 42 ✭✭

Great collection. Congrats!

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic!!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice group of pieces. I've been looking for an "Old fat Henry VIII" coin in decent shape for quite a while with little success. I have a very nice "young Henry" two pence in AU-53. Using U.S. coin surface grading standards, it's more like an AU-55 or even 58.

I have found Mary to be the hardest Tutor monarch to locate. She is also one of my least favorite British monarchs. During her reign she had almost 300 people burned at the stake for religious reasons. Historians have called her a "psychological mess." Henry divorced her mother, Catherine of Aragon, so he could marry Ann Bolin. In the process he had Mary declared to be illegitimate which was big deal in those days. At least Henry didn't have Catherine of Aragon beheaded, which was the punishment he ordered for two of his wives.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?