Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Columbian Exposition medal - electrotypes

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone happen to have good photos of the 2-inch or 3-inch electrotypes of the Columbia Exposition medals by Saint-Gaudens/Barber?

Comments

• Options

Run a search on their site, many links B)

Downloadable... https://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=28632F91-155D-451F-67F8E52A31A2C7DA

• Options

The electrotypes were not made by or for Saint-Gaudens, so there is nothing on the NPS SGNHS site that is relevant. I examined all the original plasters, etc. a decade ago as part of research for the book "Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908."

I am searching for any of the US Mint approved electrotypes that were made by American Type Founders, Co. of Philadelphia in 2-inch or 3-inch sizes. These were uniface and cost $2 and $3 respectively. For example, the Kimball Piano Company was authorized to buy 50 of each size on December 11, 1895.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had never heard of these. This may be a 3'' example here.

Unfortunately there isn't a photo of the reverse. However, the seller describes it as "Cast bronze with the reverse lead filled. A nut and screw are in the center for mounting to a plaque or some other backing."

Hope this helps.

• Options

Thanks! That matches the general description and is consistent with contemporary advertising usage.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread alert!

While searching for electrotype information on the boards, I ran across this thread.

There is a pair (obv & rev) of these electrotypes in an upcoming Stacks-Bowers auction. Too bad RogerB isn't here any longer, if he is even still interested.

I wonder if these meet his criteria as "US Mint approved"?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really wish Roger would come back.... He was a great contributor. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file