Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Original 1921 Peace Dollar Reverse Bronze Cast with Broken Sword Design

GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 19, 2016 11:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It appears that the original 1921 peace dollar reverse bronze cast by Anthony de Francisci showed up on ebay. Below the claws of the eagle is the broken sword, which was modeled out of the final design after some resistance to the symbolism. It's approximately 7.5 inches in diameter, according to the seller.

The seller closed the auction early. After I saw this, I sent an offer for it in hopes that it wasn't sold. Unfortunately, it had sold to someone for $500 (much less than my offer, which was everything that I could offer). The seller did state that he received some more money after he told the buyer of this. I am not at all against contacting a seller to end an auction, but I was disappointed I didn't have the opportunity to purchase this one.

What is everyone's thoughts on this particular piece? It seems very likely that it is legitimate. And from the little information available online, it seems like this cast also matches up to the existing story line of the modeling and creation of the first peace dollars.

These are the seller's photos:

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is fantastic!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

That appears to be a "Holy Cow!" piece that was essentially given away.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2016 12:42PM

It's a legit pic of a cast?. Looks good, also falls in the "no way", ebay, $500 category.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

If authentic, that's a pretty exciting find!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

If authentic, it's enormously important and should be worth many multiples of that price. Look at that feather detail!

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

I hope someone here snagged it !

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Googley Moogley!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I had known about this auction. If it is legitimate, it will be magnetic.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder who made him the offer that he just couldn't refuse.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello, Dan Carr I hear your name being called......

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Dan Carr 1920 High Relief with Sword Peace Dollar anyone?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting!

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

By "magnetic" I assume that means that it will attract attention, not magnets ?

I've seen a photo on the internet of the plaster sculpt of this. When was that photo taken and what was the source ?
    Is that plaster still in existence, or when was the last time it saw the light of day ?

• Options
    edited December 19, 2016 6:47PM
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2016 9:02AM

No, the casts were made in New York under direction of James Fraser.

(See "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921" for details and sources of information.)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would this be holed?

Detail is fantastic for sure.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2016 10:38AM

@CA5MAN said:
    My research indicates Anthony de Francisci designed the original molds, plaster and bronze and delivered them to Washington DC?

That seems more likely to me. Do you have any additional information on your research ?
    I would think that de Francisci would have had bronzes made. Although possible, it seems unlikely that Fraser would have made de Francisci's iron/bronze casts.

I am not aware of any modern galvanos that were cast iron. Cast iron was used at one time, but cast bronze and electrolytic bronze yields better replication of detail.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2016 12:36AM
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like the High Relief Eagle! Dan, put me first on the list for one in silver/gold.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an amazing find!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...if authentic would be a museum piece. Incredible.

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Why would this be holed?

I would guess the hole was drilled some years after the fact so as to hang on a wall.

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Why would this be holed?

The question is not why would this piece be holed, but rather why would this piece be?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2016 9:11AM

Ca5man,
    RE: "My research indicates Anthony de Francisci designed the original molds, plaster and bronze and delivered them to Washington DC?"

You are partially correct. Suggest you read the book. All the sources are provided. Galvanos were not commonly used for making reductions in that era - the artists had casts in brass/bronze or iron made. The metal was tough enough to tolerate movement of the tracing stylus.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice item, i like :)

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a fascinating story there somewhere.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like y'all need to search eBay a bit more frequently :)

:+1:

• Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    Looks like y'all need to search eBay a bit more frequently :)

:+1:

Is that a wink-wink?

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger, do you know when the last time the plasters were seen or photographed or their whereabouts today? I'm super curious and you are the research king.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Read the book....You will learn the details from the source.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were to see this listed the same time whoever bought it did the fight would have been on.
    What an AMAZING find . Way freaking cool!!! Man o man!!!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2016 7:54PM

@RogerB said:
    Read the book....You will learn the details from the source.

So we have to buy your book to find out a few bits of info? Can't you just answer a few questions without trying to push your book? I agree it's probably a good read and might get it but come on. Can't you just answer a few questions pertaining to this?

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Authors make money selling books. That's the way it works.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2016 12:15AM

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just like to know why the broken sword was eliminated.......Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

The intent behind the broken sword was to symbolize end of conflict.

But a NY newspaper responded to a Treasury Dept announcement of the coin and its features by asserting that, to the military, a broken sword is a symbol of defeat. When one surrenders the victor breaks the sword and returns it to the defeated.

The public widely reacted to the news article and a change to the lone hub was quickly made.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    The intent behind the broken sword was to symbolize end of conflict.

But a NY newspaper responded to a Treasury Dept announcement of the coin and its features by asserting that, to the military, a broken sword is a symbol of defeat. When one surrenders the victor breaks the sword and returns it to the defeated.

The public widely reacted to the news article and a change to the lone hub was quickly made.
    Lance.

As I understand it, if the new coin was to be minted before the end of the year, there was not enough time to create a new plaster or bronze without the broken sword. So de Francisci watched while Morgan ground the sword off of the one and only master hub. It would have been necessary for them to then create a master die from that hub so that new details could be engraved on the master die in the area where the sword was removed. This resulted in more hubbing passes than normal, which probably caused the feather details on the struck coins to be fuzzier and softer than they would have been otherwise.

• Options

@CA5MAN said:
    Ultimately Delivered to Phil Mint Here's an excerpt:

In February, 1921, James Earle
    Fraser, sculptor-member of the Commission of Fine Arts, met with Raymond T.
    Baker, Director of the Mint, to discuss a peace commemorative.
    Apparently nothing more was done until Fraser spoke with Baker some time
    around November 5, 1921. During the conversation, Fraser determined that the
    director now approved of a design competition and wanted the commission to han-
    dle things. The legends on the coin would be as follows: United States of America,
    E Pluribus Unum, In God We Trust, date, Liberty, one dollar, and peace were
    required by the federal bill.
    Whatever the administration’s political motivation, the commission left no doubt
    about the aggressive schedule for its design competition. Fraser notified partici-
    pants by official invitations and specifications, in a communication dated November
    23.1921. The designer /artists had little time to prepare suitable designs; sketch
    models were due by December 12, 1921. Eight New York area artists were invited
    to participate: Robert Aitkin, Chester Beach, Victor D. Brenner, Anthony de
    Francisci, John Flanagan, Henry Hering, Herman A. MacNeil, and Adolph A.
    Weinman. De Francisci was picked.
    Design of the Peace Dollar
    Sculptor Anthony de Francisci (deh Fran-chee-shee)
    produced the design for the “Peace Dollar.” Teresa,
    his 22 year-old wife, served as his model. He
    devised a classical theme for the obverse: Liberty,
    facing left, wearing a needle-like radiant tiara. The
    reverse has an eagle (symbolic of the United States),
    standing on a mountain top ledge, viewing a rising
    sun (symbolic of viewing a new dawn of peace, a
    new day), clutching an olive branch (symbolic of
    peace) in its talons. At the base of the ledge is the
    word PEACE.
    De Francisci worked on the final models through Saturday and completed them on
    Sunday, December 18, 1921. On Sunday Anthony and Teresa de Francisci took the
    late sleeper train to Washington, D.C., arriving Monday morning, December 19.
    The plaster models and bronze casts arrived at the Philadelphia Mint on December

That seems to match my understanding of what transpired.

So what was that about iron casts made by Fraser in New York ?
    I don't think that actually happened. Or maybe that was a different time and a different coin ?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@wooglout said:
    Dan Carr 1920 High Relief with Sword Peace Dollar anyone?

This, and/or something similar, is probable.

That indeed would be a wonderful idea!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@RogerB said:
    RE: "So we have to buy your book to find out a few bits of info? Can't you just answer a few questions without trying to push your book? I agree it's probably a good read and might get it but come on. Can't you just answer a few questions pertaining to this?"

No; and no one is "pushing" a book.
    Not because of money. The subject and events are more nuanced than can be presented in this type of forum. If individuals care to understand the historical events, then they should also be willing to expend a minute amount of effort to learn what occurred. Nothing has to be purchased - ANA loans book for free; your local library can get a copy for you to read; a couple of coin shops appear to have copies "on the counter" for patrons to browse.

Those "bits of info" that some attempt to trivialize, took months - sometimes years - to locate, verify, organize, analyze and publish.

I realize that, but can you let us know on what page number(s) the relevant documentation concerning Fraser New York Peace Dollar iron casts can be found ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin... Thanks.... I knew about the broken sword for defeated enemies....and did not know why it was used.. this answers the question. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

What a beautiful piece!
    I never knew about the broken sword design before. Cool idea too, but as explained above, not proper for the Eagle victor to have one. Are other reverse casts known to exist? Is this bronze one unique? $500! on eBay?
    What a beautiful Peace!

• Options

When looking at the design I have always seen it as the eagle (us) won the war and took the sword from our defeated enemies. I've always felt the decision to remove it was a knee-jerk reaction by Baker in response to plubic outcry on a story that went viral (for its day). Just my 2c. I do like though that it was Morgan who did the revision engraving. That he had a small part in creating the coin that replaced the standard dollar. Morgans & Peace dollars are forever entwined.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2016 1:51PM

"I realize that, but can you let us know on what page number(s) the relevant documentation concerning Fraser New York Peace Dollar iron casts can be found ?"

Certainly. No one asked before. The Peace dollar material is in "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921" pages 183-278. To understand the relationship of James Fraser to deFrancisci, casts made in NYC, and the overall project, one has to read - or at least skim - earlier material relating to the Mint, Congress. ANA, and the Commission of Fine Arts.

No new data affecting details or conclusions has come to light within the past 11-years since publication.

• Options

Just an idle thought almost a century after the fact.... the other half of the broken sword could have been remade into a plowshare under the word DOLLAR.
    TD

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I've studied the story of Peace dollar from concept to finished minted coins, the phenomenal speed at which things happened amazes me. The sad thing is that we have now become accustomed to a slothful bureaucracy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file