Home U.S. Coin Forum

1987P Roosevelt Double Struck Dime - Help me understand this one

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 18, 2016 7:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found this today at a local show. Just trying to fully understand it. It's 2.27g

I'm thinking double struck with 2nd strike out of collar (Although there is a slight bit of reeding at the thicker end of the 2nd strike portion, but believe it's remnants of the 1st strike). The confusing parts to me is the amount of "Slide" the 2nd strike has on the obverse, I was thinking the coin/1st strike was tilted/at an angle when struck again. The other baffler to me is the mushy section on the reverse aligning with the 2nd strike. I see zero evidence of a 2nd reverse die touching it, I see nothing indicating a transfer from a 2nd previously struck coin involved stuck in between or anything down the brockage/die cap avenue as I think that's somewhat impossible with the reverse being the anvil die. Perhaps a blank planchet was between the reverse die & this coin on the 2nd strike that soaked up the design elements, leaving the untouched (what would have been the obverse) mushing the reverse?

Thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2016 8:07PM

That's not a coin, that's ART

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, first strike normal, failed to eject from the coinage chamber, and ended up atop a blank planchet in the collar for an off-center second strike.Because it was above the collar, sitting atop the planchet, there was nothing to restrain it and it got an amazing amount of "Slide" or stretching during the strike.
    I have seen a few errors in my day and I am impressed.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Captain, at least I was pretty close when I imagined its life at the mint.

So for "labeling" purposes, this is pretty much what the TPGs label "Double Struck - 2nd Strike X% Off Center" ?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Yes, first strike normal, failed to eject from the coinage chamber, and ended up atop a blank planchet in the collar for an off-center second strike.Because it was above the collar, sitting atop the planchet, there was nothing to restrain it and it got an amazing amount of "Slide" or stretching during the strike.
    I have seen a few errors in my day and I am impressed.
    TD

Is that with brockage?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Is that with brockage?

d

No, but the planchet it was lying on top of for the second, off center strike will have a brockage.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will second the good Cap's remark. I can't recall seeing that amount of stretching on any double strike. Great pickup.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing error coin.... nice find... I would frame that one.... Cheers, RickO

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a neat example of of this type of error and there are lots out there for the diff denoms of this era +/-. your coin has some strong clashing as well. really neat is behind his ear & below and possibly the temple area?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the clashing as well. Perhaps something happened to the spacing apart of the dies, which caused both the earlier clashing and the extreme distortion on this one.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is on messed up Dime! Really neat though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file