Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1808 Large Cent, S277, My Avatar

Hi all:) I am new to this forum but have been sharing and learning on a couple of other coin forums for a few years now. Thought I would give a quick introduction to myself and and my Avatar. I have been collecting for a about 7 years now. I started by collecting ancients exclusively, and then became enthused with US Classic coins, and then started liking late 17th century / early 18th century coins in general with heavy emphasis on US coppers, but if you happen put a nice Conder Token or other large copper in front of me I will be interested. I still collect ancients with a focus on Roman Republic and Third Century Empire. A few Spanish Reales and Dollar sized silver coins have have fallen into my Collection and I seem to be acquiring US quarters with die cracks and other anomalies.

Below is my Avatar. A 1808 US Large Cent, Sheldon # S277. This "12" star variety is a favorite variety of mine, that to my understanding, doesn't strike up star #1 because of the Rx cracked and sunken die. Thus the "12" star variety designation. On my example below you can just make out star 1 if light is just right but it is tough to pick out in the pic.

Feel free to post your Sheldon 277 varieties if you have one:)

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I love early cooper too!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome

Interesting cent and a new on me

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭

Here's mine (obverse pic only) that was a junkbox find.....I refer to it as my '11 star' variety

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

@ Savoyspecial: Wish junk boxes around here had some lie that! Nice! If you get a chance grab a Rx pic. It would be great to see the arcing die crack.

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭

Its a real beater and I think the obverse was its photogenic side (couple with that the fact that I couldn't take a good picture if my life depended on it)

...but here goes....

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool - the reverse die crack is definitely visible.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TJC2.... Welcome aboard... and nice coin. Interesting areas of collecting.... certainly keeps you busy at coin shows. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard!

Have FUN!!!

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

I like it, nice intro post.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice variety!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards! Nice coin. :)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard, and interesting old copper! Thanks for sharing.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file