Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickel Variety of the Week: 1975-D and 1990-D

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Jefferson Nickel Variety of the Week: 1975-D and 1990-P

Hey crew, it seems like you enjoy the lesser known varieties versus our beloved Cherry Picker Varieties! So here we go!

1975-D
I search every now-and-then for this "High D" or "Near Mint Mark". This came to my attention a few years ago and have never seen one. Well, one listed on eBay last week. I figured I might pick this one up for $20 to $25 dollars. What's the big deal, the Mint Mark is punched in an odd location. Looking at many 1975-D's, the Mint Mark is located in several different places, but not as odd as this one. The darn coin sold for slightly over $100! It's nice, but not that nice, at least at the current time. By-the-way, I would still pay $20 to $25 for one! Hint, hint!

1990-D
This is another obscure variety that came to my attention many, many years ago and was able to pick this one up (very reasonably). When you first take a look at the coin you might say, what's the big deal! Upon closer inspection you notice the Designer Initials "FS" have been abraded off at the rim, under Jefferson's collar. I'm not big on abraded die varieties, but this one is pretty cool and a nice conversation piece when you ask someone to tell you what is wrong with this coin! This is the only example I have ever seen with the "Missing FS" and would always make room for another.

As always, happy hunting and Happy Holidays!

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Jefferson varieties!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Big. I have been spending hours studying my Jefferson Nickels, having acquired several uncirculated sets years ago for kicks. No varieties found here, but this is a very interesting and tough series, with a number of sleepers.

Tom

• BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Oh my god, i was one of the bidders on the 75, i learned about it, did some ebay searching and seen it. Would have been a neat addition but sadly got outbid.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat varieties BigDawg. The 90-D also has a neat little die crack! See ya at FUN!!!

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't QDB have a standing offer of $100 for the 75-D's?

• bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

I read QDB article about his offer.

Bob

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2016 7:35AM

Help me with "QDB"? David Bowers?

• 1986 D Jefferson nickel
    Is it me or is this mint mark in a strange place

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Yes that 86D looks a bit odd

& yes QDB is Bowers

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like that 1975-D variety. I'm going to start looking for that one. It's severe (and apparently valuable) enough that it should be in the CPG.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arrggg I like em both

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotta say you do know your Jeffersons my friend! Keep it coming I love it :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok...just when I thought my coin pile searching was done... you pull me back in.... (that would make a good movie line :D ).... will check for '75D's.... Cheers, RickO

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a CRAZY COOL variety and one with which I was unfamiliar.
    I have long been interested in unusual MM placements on coins, and have always wondered why there was not more interest. To me they are equally as interesting as misplaced dates.......and more so than the really minor MPDs that are the "peeking in the denticles types."
    I have a plastic tube of these misplaced mintmarks somewhere that I have been slowly accumulating over the decades.....don't remember exactly where I put it though.....
    But really cool variety!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file