Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS Grades

coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2016 9:29PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I sent a group of 4 to our host and recieved the grades this morning. Im pleased with them and came back with 30 days including mail time.

1767 1/2 Escudo. AU50

1786 1/2 Escudo AU53

1908 Fengtien 20 Cash Y10e AU58

1906 Kwangtung 10 Cash Y10r AU58

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Nice coins. I really like the gold.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Your 10 and 20 cash remind me that I have got to get all of my coppers out and figure out the attributions. Of course, those are much nicer than mine. Great coins. As 2016 winds down, your post just may spur me into action. Then again, that may be a good project for 2017....18....19....nevermind.

• Options

@MrBreeze said:
    Your 10 and 20 cash remind me that I have got to get all of my coppers out and figure out the attributions. Of course, those are much nicer than mine. Great coins. As 2016 winds down, your post just may spur me into action. Then again, that may be a good project for 2017....18....19....nevermind.

If you need help with them please let me know. I would be more than happy to help you.

• Options

I assuming these were graded as they came with different PCGS photos

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

These photos are the new images that come along with Secure Plus. Very convenient for an eventual resale, but for those wanting detailed closeups, TrueView is their only option. I much prefer them to the older, low quality Secure Plus images and there's no more conflict with TrueView.

I've never seen a 20 cash in hand so far. I like all the coins in this submission, thanks for sharing.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

According to the rep I talked to, US submissions will get the TrueView at the secure level. The pics above are apparently on Hong Kong submissions.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my understanding, as well. Both Paris and Hong Kong offices seem to be imaging the entire slab, while US office still offers the True View style imaging.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    That was my understanding, as well. Both Paris and Hong Kong offices seem to be imaging the entire slab, while US office still offers the True View style imaging.

That is correct.

I sort of spearheaded this project in order to phase out the old Secure photos, primarily to make the Secure process overseas quicker and reduce handling of the coins. No plans to use it in the US office as of yet aside from Paris and Hong Kong Express submissions.

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    I much prefer them to the older, low quality Secure Plus images and there's no more conflict with TrueView.

I've not heard a lot of feedback about the slab images, so it's good to hear this. To see higher resolution photos of the slabs there's a trick to it that some people aren't aware of.

When you click the image to enlarge the photo you'll see that the image is still pretty downscaled.

But if you click the arrow in the top right corner you'll be able to download the full resolution image.

There is demand for better imaging from our branch offices outside of these slab images, and we're planning to address that in the coming year.

a.jpg 713.8K
    b.jpg 454.1K
    c.jpg 1.3M

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2016 8:36AM

In a perfect world, I'd like both the TrueView images we in the US have become accustomed to, AND the Eurostyle/HK style full slab images.

In a perfect world. ;)

As you'll notice in my Box of 20, I use Photoshop template of the coin (done with the help of friends, since I lack the skill), and also a slab picture.

Right now I have to shoot my own slab images, with predictably bad results.

Given a choice of one or the other (full slab PCGS pix versus Trueviews), though, I definitely prefer the US style TrueViews. Slab pictures are secondary.

However, there is no doubt that these full slab pix blow the old Secure Plus images out of the water, and leave NGC's mostly wretched cert page images way behind.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.