• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2016 9:47AM
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I own that coin.

LOL. I asked CRO about it, but you'd already bought it :D

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2016 9:42AM

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice TomB

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it is hard to grade from pictures and all, but Jesus that coin looks a lot better than 63!

Jeff

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

That may be the most attractive toning I've ever seen on a coin.

The coin design seems to benefit the toning as well.

Excellent!!

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

wonderful coin. congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, but it is not Queen Jadwiga. From a previous post I made, see below:

In 1924, a decree of the Polish President provided for the striking of gold coins in denominations of 10, 20, 50, and 100 Zlotych. A competition was held requesting designs for the new coins to be submitted, and in 1925 the winning designs of that competition were announced. Namely, the second place winning design was that of Antoni Madeyski described as "a profile of woman with headscarf and clover headband; in the background ears of grain".

Unfortunately, the series of proposed gold coins never came to be. However, in 1932, the original design of the woman's profile was placed on the reverse of circulation coins in denominations of 2, 5 and 10 Zl. The coin's imagery of a scarfed woman became affectionately referred to as "Queen Jadwiga" because of it's resemblance to the white marble tomb sculpted by Antoni Madeyski in 1902 for the beloved and historically important Jadwiga of Poland (b. 1373, d. 1399).

Madeyski's sarcophagus for Queen Jadwiga, 1902

However, in truth, the depiction of the beautiful woman was "Polonia" (Poland in Latin, and the word used for the personification of Poland), and was meant to represent the idealized image of the Polish community. The facial features of the woman were, in the eyes of Madeyski, those of "perfect beauty". She was crowned with a wreath of clover, symbolic of happiness and prosperity, but also of the Holy Trinity and the contemporary Christian character of the Polish State. The sun's rays were symbolic of triumph and glory, and a harbinger of further glory; whereas the ears of grain (wheat) emphasized the importance of agriculture to the national economy and a source of prosperity and abundance.

Antoni Madeyski, 1936

The actual model for the coin's beautiful design is thought to have been Janina Morstin (nee Zóltowski). She was born in 1895 in Kadzewie, and later married Mr. Louis Jerome Morstin a well known playwright and poet. The Morstins were friends of Antoni Madeyski for some time before the original design was sketched in 1925. Of note, the original design proposal included the "Republic of Poland" text and the date on the side of the coin with the woman's head. When the design was finally used on Polish coins, it appeared for only three years from 1932 to 1934 and the text and date were moved to the other side of the coin.

The Polonia design, as originally proposed in 1925

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    edited December 13, 2016 9:41AM

• Options

@TomB said:
    Your post is great and I realize it isn't Queen Jadwiga, but that is how the coin is most commonly known and how we describe it on the boards.

That's how it is incorrectly described in the United States.

Collectors in Poland make fun of this, as can be found in many of their auction descriptions.

In Polish the coin is described as Polonia (głowa kobiety) , which translates as "Polonia (woman's head)"...

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    edited December 13, 2016 9:41AM

• Options

@TomB said:
    I didn't realize that collectors in Poland mocked those in the US who referred to the coin as Queen Jadwiga, though I am aware that the Mint of Poland modern issues call the pieces głowa kobiety. The use of the Queen Jadwiga term hasn't bothered me, just as it generally doesn't bother me to call the 1859-1909 US Mint produced cents Indian Head cents (IHCs) even though it is an image of Liberty in headdress.

Regardless, it's a beautiful coin. Congrats on the newp! :+1:

-Brandon

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2016 3:59PM

Now I don't want to weigh in on whether or not it's Jadwiga. That's a discussion I'm not willing to wade into.

After all, an allegorical symbol of a saintly crowned young Polish female with a radiant halo, from the middle-ages, on a Polish coin, could be practically anyone. To assume that it's Jadwiga--a young female Polish monarch, later beatified, then canonized, from the middle-ages, is simply taking a leap of logic that no rational person would take.

Just because NGC says it's Jadwiga:

...and PCGS says it's Jadwiga:

Shouldn't convince anyone that this image, clearly that of Queen Jadwiga of Poland, is in any way Queen Jadwiga of Poland.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin! I like the toning. :)

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops, I'm kinda late, but heck........I like it too

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

@Weiss : PCGS and NGC call it "Jadwiga" because Krause does. They call lots of world coins things they aren't for that reason alone. We're you born yesterday?

I have no idea what went down in this thread or why all of the posts were deleted?? Weird.

-Brandon

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

A lot of what was deleted had been quoted, so not much was lost. Is a Mercury dime representing Mercury's shoes? Things just take a life of their own, even though they live under a falsehood.

Paul
  • Options

@pmac said:
    A lot of what was deleted had been quoted, so not much was lost. Is a Mercury dime representing Mercury's shoes? Things just take a life of their own, even though they live under a falsehood.

Yes, but since when does clarifying something and adding facts to a thread suddenly make posters go back and delete the thread.

:confused:

Is this place becoming a "fact free zone" like the rest of the world? It's just befuddling as to why the OP and others have gone back and removed pictures, information, and a beautiful coin -- and marked the thread "delete me". Then @Weiss comes along and quotes information from NGC (Krause) and PCGS as if some how that negates or supersedes the facts. Thanks, but I'll trust the original documents from the coin designer and the Poland Warsaw Mint, not what Krause says and then others blindly believe/regurgitate.

:tired_face:

-Brandon

• Options
    edited December 14, 2016 10:42AM

@brg5658 said:
    @Weiss : PCGS and NGC call it "Jadwiga" because Krause does. They call lots of world coins things they aren't for that reason alone. We're you born yesterday?

I have no idea what went down in this thread or why all of the posts were deleted?? Weird.

Regarding the evolution of this thread.

There was a request to remove this thread as there was some feeling that the purpose of this thread was hijacked from celebration of a coin. I did notice the thread discussion had changed and also took a turn to mocking collectors so respected the request. For example:

• "Collectors in Poland make fun of this"
    • "I didn't realize that collectors in Poland mocked those in the US"
    • "We're you born yesterday?"

The last bullet isn't in response to the previous one but it indicates the confrontational tone the thread was starting to take.

Given that the discussion had shifted from the specific coin, perhaps this thread could be renamed to something like "Jadwiga or Polonia?" with removal of references / photos to the coin in the OP.

In retrospect, if there is a long piece of previously posted and discussed text in another thread, why not link to that thread instead of derailing this one with a large copy and paste?

• Options
    edited December 14, 2016 9:57AM

I found this thread educational on the Polish 10 Zlotych

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

If everyone deletes references to the specific coin and coin owner, perhaps we can rename this thread to the new discussion topic "Jadwiga or Polonia?"

• Options

I'm gonna stick with 10 Zlotych,,,,,,,,,even though I have no Idea how to pronounce it :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2016 10:11AM

How about this topic:

• "1932-1933 10 Zlotych: Jadwiga or Polonia?"