Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cool Morgan Strikethrough

CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this bad girl up for a relative pittance. I call her "The Joker." The wire impression goes from the denticles up through the ear then bends and goes to the cotton leaves. The reverse has some small embedded wood specks as well which makes me think that the area around the breast could have been from a larger piece of unretained wood. Cool one ain't it. She may need to take a trip to our hosts :smile:

The more you VAM..

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool looking coin with a great name!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really into strike-throughs but that is pretty cool

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me first say that I am in no way an error expert. Questioning the strike thru theory. If I were to place a wire across the face, place against a hard surface, then apply bunches of pressure (vise) to the reverse two things would happen. Indention of the face of Liberty, and the flattening of the reverse high point. (eagles breast) I found it interesting that the wire just happened to start at the edge of the denticle and not over the edge of the coin. Hopefully, Fred will chime in and prove me wrong with a thorough explanation.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Let me first say that I am in no way an error expert. Questioning the strike thru theory. If I were to place a wire across the face, place against a hard surface, then apply bunches of pressure (vise) to the reverse two things would happen. Indention of the face of Liberty, and the flattening of the reverse high point. (eagles breast) I found it interesting that the wire just happened to start at the edge of the denticle and not over the edge of the coin. Hopefully, Fred will chime in and prove me wrong with a thorough explanation.

I think in the scenario you mention here the wire would have embedded much deeper into the cheek and barely at all into the field, which is not the case here. The channel it created also seems to have toned with the coin. It looks "right" to my (non-expert) eyes.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not think the impression was made by wood....depth and definition of edge of impression tell me it was some other material...and the eagles breast flat point, to me, is a separate issue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2016 9:29AM

I am on the fence about this one as much as I'd like to believe it was struck through wire my gut still says possible PMD gouge.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone pressed a wire in the face .Resulting in the

eagles breast being flat like.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

A close up reveals detail still in the ear and hair. Dunno but I don't think detail appears underneath on a wire strike through.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    Looks like someone pressed a wire in the face .Resulting in the

eagles breast being flat like.

It would be very difficult to focus enough pressure on such a thin wire to cause a dent that large, without any other major distortion to the obverse face and rims. I am having trouble "reading" the reverse photo though; I can't tell what the distortion on the eagle's breast is.

If it was a scratch of some sort, there would be pressure ridges (displaced metal).

I don't think it is a dent or a scratch. My vote is for struck through. I also trust the in-hand evaluation of @CascadeChris .

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat Chris! Cool how the depression terminates at denticles, and those aren't disturbed. I just don't know; but am very curious to what caused this. Interesting find!

Rich

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice strike thru! 100 percent strike thru, too, for those that disagree with that.

• Options

The way the denticles overlap the indentation is interesting... Great new pictures, thanks. No doubt a strike through, the portion toward the denticles and across the field seeming to be a very hard material, and then as it enters the ear and hair, traces of the pattern are observed, indicating a softer - or, my idea - a thinner material...which may support the idea of a wire brush bristle...worn thin at the brush end....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    The way the denticles overlap the indentation is interesting... Great new pictures, thanks. No doubt a strike through, the portion toward the denticles and across the field seeming to be a very hard material, and then as it enters the ear and hair, traces of the pattern are observed, indicating a softer - or, my idea - a thinner material...which may support the idea of a wire brush bristle...worn thin at the brush end....Cheers, RickO

Well that didn't take long from the new pics. That's my assesmemt of the obverse s/t to a tee ricko. Now the reverse, you can see small embedded pieces of wood throughout the reverse in the last few pics. The eagles breast I believe was a larger flat wood chip with a hump in it that shows as a depression in the lower part. If there wasn't small embedded wood chips elsewhere I might not think the breast is from a lager chip but I think it's a good educated guess. Can you imagine if the wire was retained as well as big hunk of wood ebedded in the eagle lol

The more you VAM..
  • Options

That would be unique Chris.... certainly an interesting coin.... thanks for showing us....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to hear from Fred on this one.

• Options

Just got her back after she went shopping for a new dress!

Was thinking of sending her to auction but decided to keep her for a while as I've never seen one quite like it. She sure is a looker :blush:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

The flattening of the eagle's breast gave me pause as well, but the plastic got the final word. Congrats and thanks for sharing the results!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice error.

• Options

Very nice Chris....Thanks for bringing us the results.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont' believe it was struck thru a piece of wire,
    as it's way too thick.

Probably a metal shaving - doubt it's wood.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice find. Very cool.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @FredWeinberg -- Congrats on your 3,000th post!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

Thanks Fred. Whatever it was, it's pretty darn cool looking and the random placement was about the best it could have been.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a staple scratch, for sure.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

That breast indentation seems to run in the '85-O Morgans. Wish this one had had a similar strike through on the obverse. LOL. Nice on Chris. :)

• Options

@jtlee321 said:
    That breast indentation seems to run in the '85-O Morgans. Wish this one had had a similar strike through on the obverse. LOL. Nice on Chris. :)

Yeah. The "bellybutton" sure does. I just went through a roll of BU 85o's recently and a hand full had it. Didn't have time to check if they were all the same rev die though.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 10:14AM

Nice error coin :D

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file