Home Precious Metals

A Review of Bay Precious Metals Shipping Methods

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 10, 2016 2:21PM in Precious Metals

on the 100 RCM silver bar, they sent it UPS with a big, separately attached "Signature Required" sticker on it.

that's not as big a deal as the driver personally going into the post office and telling the clerk that it must be signed for because it is "a high dollar amount package." :o:s:#

thanks for something BayPM: alerting everyone at UPS and the PO it is a high dollar package. Very Amateur. Even I know not to do that.

APMEX always sends their stuff in a plain package via the USPS mail system and their tracking simply uses the same signature required on it that every printed USPS label would have. I get gold from them this way and no one knows the difference.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2016 2:38PM

"Signature required" reminds the delivery person that a signature is required and helps protect the shipper. It appears on most USPS pre-printed labels when a signature is required. It only indicates that the end receiver must sign and does not require the driver to get a signature from the clerk when delivering to a PO box branch. It gets delivered to the PO box branch along with many other items and usually at the back/loading door.

As a receiver I do not concern myself with it because technically I have not received the package without giving my signature.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is standard protocol for any UPS package that requires a signature.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's the first time I've seen such a sticker and I've recently received other high value boxes delivered by ups.

anyway, the bigger point is that the ups driver made a special trip inside and announced it was a high dollar package.

I'd prefer a "signature required" mention on the shipping label.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@derryb said:
    "Signature required" reminds the delivery person that a signature is required and helps protect the shipper. It appears on most USPS pre-printed labels when a signature is required. It only indicates that the end receiver must sign and does not require the driver to get a signature from the clerk when delivering to a PO box branch. It gets delivered to the PO box branch along with many other items and usually at the back/loading door.

As a receiver I do not concern myself with it because technically I have not received the package without giving my signature.

oh no. not this package. the ups driver made a special trip inside to deliver it and get a signature. it wasn't on the pallet they usually use to deliver in back. he made a point of getting that signature because it was a "high dollar value package." (the clerk at the po used those words.)

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did BPM say when you beyatched at/to them about it?

Was this shipped UPS Smart Post? I never heard of a package shipped via UPS Smart Post requiring the driver to walk in to the USPS looking for a clerk's signature. At least, I've never seen that noted on line with tracking when I've had packages from the US Mint arrive that way.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

oh no. not this package. the ups driver made a special trip inside to deliver it and get a signature. it wasn't on the pallet they usually use to deliver in back. he made a point of getting that signature because it was a "high dollar value package." (the clerk at the po used those words.)

Aren't all sig required and/or insured packages high dollar value? He didn't tell clerk anything clerk would not have known after receiving package.

@MsMorrisine said:
    on the 100 RCM silver bar, they sent it UPS with a big, separately attached "Signature Required" sticker on it.

that's not as big a deal as the driver personally going into the post office and telling the clerk that it must be signed for because it is "a high dollar amount package." :o:s:#

thanks for something BayPM: alerting everyone at UPS and the PO it is a high dollar package. Very Amateur. Even I know not to do that.

APMEX always sends their stuff in a plain package via the USPS mail system and their tracking simply uses the same signature required on it that every printed USPS label would have. I get gold from them this way and no one knows the difference.

Would $1600 qualify as a high dollar amount?

apparently $1600 does and all of the packages I get require a signature even if they are not high dollar amounts.

I've also had much, much higher package values delivered from the mint via ups without a word.

and this was regular ups, not dumbpost.

I'm thinking BPM is probably buying the ups insurance. how else would they know?

edited December 10, 2016 6:01PM

Let the shipper choose his way of shipping/packaging and let the delivery services choose their way of delivery. None of it matters until you sign for the package. At that point it's too late for any of it to make a difference.

edited December 10, 2016 7:04PM

Agreed with derryb.

The shipper is simply covering themselves by insuring and requiring a signature. Not sure you even have a valid complaint here. Are you suggesting they should ship without insurance and/or signature confirmation?

In addition, I don't believe bullion can even be insured via USPS unless it's shipped registered mail.

Also, how is a clerk at the post office even involved in the delivery of a UPS package if it wasn't shipped via UPS Smart Post?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Also, how is a clerk at the post office even involved in the delivery of a UPS package if it wasn't shipped via UPS Smart Post?

Agree...It must have been mailed dumb post. Or is it possible that the buyer has a PO Box?

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

@grote15 said:

Apparently BPM sent it by UPS to a PO box. They required a signature regardless of where it was shipped to. The UPS guy delivered it at a receiving dock where most all deliveries go. He must have had to scrounge to find someone to sign for it. Most people can figure that if you have to sign for something it must have some value.

edited December 10, 2016 8:43PM

As far as I'm aware, UPS does not deliver to PO boxes at the USPS.

ETA from the UPS web site:

Can I use UPS to ship to a P.O. Box?

UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. If a shipper should use a P.O. Box address, the recipient´s telephone number must be included on the label. Your package that is addressed to a P.O. Box may be delayed, will not be covered by any UPS Service Guarantee, and will require an address correction charge. Additionally, Army Post Office (APO) and Fleet Post Office (FPO) addresses are not accepted.

edited December 10, 2016 9:51PM

Both UPS and FedEx rely on the postal office for the back-end (hand off) of their cheaper two- to seven-day delivery options, Smartpost for FedEx and Surepost for UPS. In the OP's case maybe USPS left a notice at the house that they attempted to deliver a package that needed a signature which required the OP to go to the PO to get it. Just guessing since OP didn't indicate if a PO box was involved.

You can't really blame the seller for UPS handing off the package to USPS. That is a UPS decision once the shipment is in process and UPS determines it is more economical to let USPS finish the delivery.

Does the OP live out in the boonies? :o

edited December 10, 2016 10:11PM

Both UPS and FedEx rely on the postal office for the back-end (hand off) of their cheaper two- to seven-day delivery options, Smartpost for FedEx and Surepost for UPS.

That's what I had originally assumed but the OP stated the package was not shipped that way (via UPS Sure Post).

Not such a big deal in any case, but I just found it odd that a UPS driver would be in the PO to deliver a package shipped via UPS in the first place, when Sure Post was not the method of shipping.

edited December 10, 2016 10:26PM

@grote15 said:
    As far as I'm aware, UPS does not deliver to PO boxes at the USPS.

ETA from the UPS web site:

Can I use UPS to ship to a P.O. Box?

UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. If a shipper should use a P.O. Box address, the recipient´s telephone number must be included on the label. Your package that is addressed to a P.O. Box may be delayed, will not be covered by any UPS Service Guarantee, and will require an address correction charge. Additionally, Army Post Office (APO) and Fleet Post Office (FPO) addresses are not accepted.

Musta bin one of those handoff situations then as I recall that UPS didn't deliver to PO boxes and I wrongly assumed that the shipment was to a PO box. Someone at my PO said that they get hundreds of those FEDEX/UPS handoff packages every day so I expect that there must be some that need signed for at handoff time.

@BAJJERFAN said:

Musta bin one of those handoff situations then as I recall that UPS didn't deliver to PO boxes and I wrongly assumed that the shipment was to a PO box. Someone at my PO said that they get hundreds of those FEDEX/UPS handoff packages every day so I expect that there must be some that need signed for at handoff time.

Normally a sig is only required at final delivery. UPS most likely needs a PO sig in the event of a lost package so that UPS is off the hook. I wonder how an insurance claim would be filed?

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

My post office accepts ups packages to my PO box. It has to be addressed to the street address of the PO with my box number as the unit number. Been at least a year. It sometimes takes an extra day for delivery. Your PO may do the same.

• SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

Here's a pic of a BPM UPS delivery I recently received. I don't see the need for the extra sig. required since it's already printed on the UPS label. It definitely stands out more.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:
    My post office accepts ups packages to my PO box. It has to be addressed to the street address of the PO with my box number as the unit number. Been at least a year. It sometimes takes an extra day for delivery. Your PO may do the same.

I believe all Post Offices accept UPS packages to a PO box, as long as the physical address is indicated. It's been like that for a while.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry. The way metal drops, it won't be "high dollar " for long. Bwahahaha

edited December 13, 2016 10:02AM

it was plain ups not ups smart post and it was to my po box.

I've had multi-spouse gold orders come in without a special trip in for a signature. it went in on the dolly with all the othe boring boxes.

i'm not sure how the ups driver knew this 100ozsilver was a "high value package" other than if they knew the insurance value.

what should they do? whatever the mint does. one might suggest the mint self-insures, and that is possible, and to that I'd suggest private insurance would also avoid what many here say is a red flag - special labels on the outside of the boxes which indicate something special is inside.

Just had some coins delivered (no sig required) by UPS in a golf cart pulling a small trailer through the neighborhood.

probably earning a second living picking up golf balls for resale

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Golf carts are the preferred mode of transport in many areas. Many are all tricked out

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear