Home Metal Detecting

Going to do it again!

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, have been healing from my complete shoulder replacement surgery at a good pace. Not able to swing for any length of time yet but am making plans for the next hunt.
Have identified a location that is quite remote (no roads) but downhill tests show a good possibility if I can get to bedrock. The presence of quartz, mica, (silver or lead (haven't yet tested)) is a positive for desert gold uphill. The problem is the no roads and the walk involved may be as hard as the swinging!! Looks like a good 15 mile uphill that will likely take a couple of days. Overnights on the trail sure will not be comfortable at 70+ but the payoff might just be there. Searching my maps, records, and such I find no digging in this Mountain Range....hope it's not devoid of ore. If it is that would be a first for a Nevada, Eastern California range.
If no gold then maybe some other minerals that will be worth the walk.
Geology looks good as far as I can tell
Will let you all know when the time is right. I'll have my camera for sure.
Will still be a month or two away.....but the planning is beginning!
bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good chance some stuff will show up! Keep us posted

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to hear that your recovery is going well. Slow and steady up the hill. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing the results. Best of luck. B)

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great...and sounds like a promising area..... one question, gold, being heavy, usually migrates down.... any reason you expect it to be high? Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, finding it downhill is usually way to hard as it's covered by overburden. Only chance to find it down low will be in the gullies and washes and of course I'll search those on the way up. As you rise in elevation the overburden lessens and makes it somewhat easier to search and then there is always the chance of finding the lode it comes from!
    I expect that the overburden in this valley at the floor might exceed 500 feet in depth and gold just manages to find it's way to the bottom....ugh

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck. Stay safe.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Yep... agree about the overburden. And the mother lode would usually be higher... They never did find the mother lode of the New Zealand gold rush... I felt maybe the entire lode was washed down....Cheers, RickO

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Great to hear that you're recovering well!

Sounds like quite the adventure! Planning it is almost half the fun.

I hear you on the overnights thing. At least I suppose you're unlikely to experience a lot of rain. That's the worst!
    Pitching a tent in pouring rain, anything that gets wet becomes impossible to dry, you sleep like crap, etc... Ugh.

Looking forward to further developments!

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

I agree Zot... camping in the rain is miserable.... Woke up one night (in Texas) to a wet sleeping bag... looked outside the tent... and we were in the middle of a foot of moving water... flash flood type thing... we got out of the tent and into the vehicle.... passed in a few hours.... Cheers, RickO