Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happened to this guy

RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2016 9:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found these strange markings on Roosevelt while sifting through mint sets. Any idea what could have caused them? They seem to match the pattern on the edges of the plastic protector and are imprinted into the coin. The markings on the edge stretch around to the reverse.

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it happened at the mint, can it still be post mint damage? (And what is the sound of one hand clapping?)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crimping damage.
    You see it once in a while on the mint set coins.
    It would be considered PMD, because it didn't happen during the minting process.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The first impression (no pun intended) I got from looking at the image is that whatever machine crimps the plastic also crimped the coin.

Bingo.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD. Or ("Packaging" Mint Damage). New term? :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree... crimping machine damage (CMD :D ) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 12:58PM

I have to disagree. If the cellophane isn't marred above the dime? and why the separation in the lines? also, the lines on the rim are different (thicker) than the other lines? Oh-h Fred?
    What's puzzling are the fingerprints too?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Coin hit by the crimper, then bagged.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 1:33PM

Bag mis-fed into crimping machine, coin hit by crimper, picked up with no gloves [they get hot], then finger printed and re bagged ? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone who says it's packaging damage is correct.

The dime was laying over the 'crimped' area when the sealing
    machine came down. Look at the left side of the photo below
    In God We Trust - that is probably the area where the dime was
    when the sealing occurred. Can't tell for sure, but I am sure
    that the dime was damaged by the machinery - the patterns
    on his head are a match.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, crimping is the monster here...

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch of little bags of SF Mint cents that were sold by the Mint from 1971 through 1973. I found many in there which had this same sort of damage. I assume they took rejects from the Mint sets and put them in the bags instead.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    If it happened at the mint, can it still be post mint damage? (And what is the sound of one hand clapping?)

Yes. If it's not damage because of the planchet (planchet error) or the strike (strike error) then it is damage no matter where or how it was done. This is so unusual though that I bet somebody would pay a premium for this "packaging error" lol

Op, is there a hole in the crimping? Very neat

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is indeed a section of empty space between the crimping now that I look at it, in the bottom left area of the photo. Sounds like Fred hit it on the mark.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, when the professor says it is PD, I then agree. I was wrong. Thanks Fred! :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSD/MA Post Strike Damage/Market Acceptable

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file