Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Things appear to be moving smoothly in the grading room

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had 3 submissions arrive at PCGS on 11/21 logged on 11/23, a 2 coin registry voucher, a 12 coin modern, and a 42 coin economy submissions.

I was expecting the Voucher submission around 12/14 and the Modern around 12/21. Both of those posted yesterday.

As I was hoping when I sent them in; they appear to be pushing to get the back-logs reduced before year-end.

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

SERVICE ESTIMATED TURNAROUND TIME
    EXPRESS 10 business days
    REGULAR 19 business days
    ECONOMY 25 business days
    MODERN 20 business days

http://www.pcgs.com/Statistics/

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly my point - the turnaround time was 8 or 10 business days by my count, depending on if we go by logged or received dates.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Look at the 30 day cert rate; almost 400K and the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday was in that time. They used to do 400K in a 91 day quarter...and this is their "slowest" quarter. This implies a 600K rate next quarter which is their "busiest". The Chinese Mint deal appears to be in full swing. The only questions are what are the margins and will they add to cash?

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

Slow grading times? I don't believe it B)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post photos of the dime, half and SMS cent that you made great grades on. I saw photos of them in the PM you sent me but they are so nice you need to show them to the forums.

Congrats on some great coins. You have a keen eye for them.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 4:55PM

I'm still waiting on a "regular" submission from 11/14. Off to hit refresh again to see if it updated while I was typing this :)

• Options

It looks like there is a big shift to the Asian rim in PCGS responsibilities, maybe a fad, but they are causing delays in classic US material. 10 days for express? I remember when they had a one week guarantee and you would get freebees if they failed.

• Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

I'm waiting on a 20 coin modern submission. I tried to sneak it in before Thanksgiving by going Express Priority, only to have it logged in on 11/28. ARGH. :smile: Hopefully mine will post in a day or two.

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

@10000lakes said:
    I'm still waiting on a "regular" submission from 11/14. Off to hit refresh again to see if it updated while I was typing this :)

I have a guarantee resubmission that was entered on June 2nd :)

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

i got a regular submission yesterday, logged in on 11/17.

I'm still waiting on an economy submission thru GC sent in by October 17...... And a second one logged around nov 10.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patience is a virtue...... :D:D:D We seem to be a non-virtuous crowd.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guaranteed re-submission is now at over 6 calendar months.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a free voucher submission scan in on Nov 17th. Should they be posting soon?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting on a 15 coin Economy submission logged on 10/12.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I had a free voucher submission scan in on Nov 17th. Should they be posting soon?

I would look at the estimated turn-arounds and then a business day calendar and call 8004478848 if it is late.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:
    Still waiting on a 15 coin Economy submission logged on 10/12.

Ouch. I was hoping to have my 11/7 results before Christmas, but it looks like I shouldn't hold my breath.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 11/ 3 Economy Submission posted on 12/6; less than the 25 day posted. They've been cranking them out, even over the weekends. As a stockholder I'm expecting profits to be up this quarter!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    My 11/ 3 Economy Submission posted on 12/6; less than the 25 day posted. They've been cranking them out, even over the weekends. As a stockholder I'm expecting profits to be up this quarter!

One thing for sure, based on some of these results, the graders aren't going by first in, first out.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

Hard to say. I'd bet a vast majority of these coins are low margin bulk submissions from the Chinese Mint. Company is dangerously low on cash and dividend is in peril unless they can generate cash. Since going to this new bulk pricing model in January of this year, they have not been able to generate cash despite record volumes. They are certainly working at record coin cert rates; working harder. They need to be working smarter.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2016 8:28PM

Guess the price of gold ,when the grades are in and the date they are returned

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

I wish they provided more detail on the process online. It could only benefit us.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file