Home Precious Metals
Options

Newp: Heraeus 10 oz extruded silver bar

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen these extruded like this? I can't find one anywhere online.
I'm guessing these are scarce.

22.jpg 357.9K

Comments

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

A nice low number on that bar.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat bar. Never seen one like that before although I haven't really been looking for them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I googled, checked here, checked a few places and cannot find another like it.
    Years ago I had a few very similar bars by Credit Suisse and haven't seen them since either.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not focus on collecting bars, though I like them and always viewed them at shows and shops. I have not seen one like that before.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Here is a 100 oz extruded bar from AMPEX [out of stock at the moment]

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-TROY-OUNCES-999-FINE-SILVER-BAR-HERAEUS-/222325442062?hash=item33c3a1060e:m:m-3s1IGUqDgaOapab8lGa3A

Here is one that is quite similar and also extruded. There are quite a few of these if you go to Ebay.de (Germany). They all seem to carry a pretty high premium.

• Options

Thanks everybody! It's my first bar by them.
    I'm happy to have found it. :)

• Options

I presume that if you extrude the silver you can 'cut' the bars to any size that you want, as opposed to 'pouring' specific sizes.
    Not sure if silver is as malleable as gold though. I will find out. :smile:

• Options

If this is true [after all I found it on the internet] gold is more malleable than silver ?
    Just wondering if any changes occur during the extrusion process.
    I'm sure there is a mineralogist or chemist here that can answer this better than I.

Silver

The ancient alchemists called the metal Moon or Diana, after the goddess of the moon, and they gave it the waxing moon symbol. Its chemical symbol, Ag, comes from the Latin argentum, which means off-white. In the 4th century A.D., Hispania was the Roman Empire's principal supplier of this metal. It was prepared for export in the form of sheets that were called "Plattum (sheets) argentum". The noun later disappeared, leaving just the word platta, which has survived in Spanish to the present day.

Silver is an extremely rare element which forms in igneous and metamorphic rocks, in hydro-thermal seams. It is normally found in the form of minerals which contain silver compounds. Approximately three quarters of the silver produced today is a sub-product resulting from the mining of other minerals, especially copper, zinc and lead. Its natural alloy with gold is called electrum.

The most important pure silver sediments are found in Mexico and Peru.

Silver is the most malleable and most ductile metal** after gold**. It is the metal with the highest thermal and electrical conductivity level. It is moderately soft, and a little harder than gold. It melts at 963°C. It is shiny, a greyish-white colour, and its gloss reflects 95% of light when it is polished. It does not rust easily, but its surface blackens due to small sulphur impurities.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks guys. :)