Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Where is CICF in April 2017?

There seems a little confusion about the location of 2017 CICF. I have seen websites saying it will be at the Crowne Plaza O'Hare (its location for a number of years in the recent past), and others at the Holiday Inn on Harrington in Chicago. Can anyone shed any light on this question? Thanks.

Comments

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

There is no more CICF. It has been cancelled as was the CPMX show both in Rosemont.

There is however a new show Chicago Coin Expo 2017, run by the History In Your Hands Foundation. To be held April 5-8, 2017 in Downtown Chicago at the Chicago Cultural Center on Michigan Avenue. Both Heritage and Harlan J. Berk,Ltd have auctions there.

• GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭

bkzoopapa has it exactly right. The new show was apparently established by Harlan J. Berk for the exact same dates as CICF 2017, and the owners of the latter show decided to cancel it. The Chicago Coin Expo dealer list looks very much like the lists we would have seen for the CICF shows, so the new show should not be appreciably different from old CICF shows. What I cannot determine at this point is whether there will be an admission charge. The Chicago Cultural Center is the old Chicago Public Library and is a very beautiful building, outside and in.

I must say the lack of recent publicity about CICF being cancelled is a little troubling, especially if you booked rooms at the Crowne Plaza O'Hare (where CICFs have been held for a number of years)...

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information about CICF. Why did this happen? Was CICF not doing well anymore, or did the owners of CICF want to get out? Or, was HJB deliberately trying to compete?

I must say, however, that the show being in downtown Chicago may cause me to go to that April world coin show again (however, I haven't yet checked the price of hotels there!).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    Thanks for the information about CICF. Why did this happen? Was CICF not doing well anymore, or did the owners of CICF want to get out? Or, was HJB deliberately trying to compete?

I must say, however, that the show being in downtown Chicago may cause me to go to that April world coin show again (however, I haven't yet checked the price of hotels there!).

The CICF had been in decline for many years. Many dealers attributed that, in part, to a large number of (mostly overseas) dealers who stopped coming after the show moved from downtown Chicago to Rosemont, because they didn't like the idea of spending their nights in what is essentially a sterile cluster of airport hotels.

HJB was obviously trying to put the CICF out of business, and he succeeded. Most of the CICF dealers are happy about that.

As for hotels, I'm sure they'll tend to be more expensive than in Rosemont. And for dealers, the tables are much more expensive, but I expect it to be money well spent.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

HJB actually set the date before CICF came up with theirs . There will be no admission charge for the new show . The location is fantastic and beautiful. You have never seen a venue like it.Sammy Berk runs a Map Fair at the location in the fall. The last one had almost 1000 people go thru the show for free. All dealers had a good show.

The new owners of Krause were not happy being in the show business, and seeing the way most shows are headed, decided to bail on the venture (CICF and CPMX). When Rarcoa first started CICF in the 70's it was the best attended show by every major dealer around the world . Changing the location to tune new area of Rosemont was the start of the decline as Andy said.the Internet has just moved things along faster.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that F+W (the new owners of Krause Publications, who owned the CICF show) hardly put up a "fight" to save CICF. It probably makes little to no money for the corporation. As it is, they seem to be putting little effort into the whole Krause operation.

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Anyone have their website where I can get hotel information?
    a little more difficult to get in and out of downtown . May need to fly into Midway and
    shuttle/cab it. Is the venue in a safe area? Chicago is getting lots of bad press on violence.

• PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

While I greatly enjoyed the CICF show in 2015 it did seem apparent that a more motivated show organizer was in order. I'm glad to learn that the Chicago Coin Expo has arisen from CICF's ashes. Although I will not be attending this year, I look forward to everyone's show reports.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    Anyone have their website where I can get hotel information?
    a little more difficult to get in and out of downtown . May need to fly into Midway and
    shuttle/cab it. Is the venue in a safe area? Chicago is getting lots of bad press on violence.

Chicago has its violent parts like all big cities, but this location is a safe one. That said, the usual protocols to be situationally aware and not advertise yourself as a coin/money-carrying target should be observed.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to fly in for the show. Hope to see some of you there

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted another thread entitled "Chicago Coin Expo", the replacement show, and want to come.
    I would like to meet some of you guys there.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

No more CICF in Rosemont.

April 5-8, 2017
    http://www.coinexpo.org/

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm.... I wonder if i can sneak away for an afternoon without anyone realizing i'm gone.... ;) Probably not.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very nice show