Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know the whereabouts of this 1799 Dollar, PCGS VF30?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 6, 2016 3:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A buddy of mine missed out on bidding on this coin in a recent Stacks auction. He's trying to track down the owner to see if they would have any interest in selling. If anyone knows where this might be, he'd love to try getting in touch with the new owner.

Thanks for any info!!

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

How do you get the pictures to show up without having to click on them?

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a really pretty coin. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I'll take a full set of VF coins that look like that one.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Very nice Early Dollar, Good luck.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking early dollar, would make an outstanding type coin. Good luck with the search for this one or similar.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might try to follow the trail you know exists:
    See if Stacks will send the buyer a message on your behalf?

They certainly won't tell you who the owner is....and they probably don't gain anything in playing message boy for you...but it's worth a shot.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2016 9:17PM

Let us know how it goes!

Here's the CoinFacts image:

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

That's a nice 30.8 coin for sure.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage has a site feature where you can make an offer to the auction winner. You can choose to actively solicit offers, allow them to be made or (silently?) block them.

IF they still own the piece AND are interested in the offer, Heritage facilitates the transaction for which they are paid a fee.

I don't know if Stacks does the same thing. You can always ask (and be prepared to pay).

If it was recorded, you can watch the auction and usually hear the paddle number of the winner. If s/he is a well known bidder, there might be banter during the rest of the auction that could give a clue to the winner (or probably a coin dealer on behalf of a client). Might not pan out, it's a shot in the dark.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice early dollar.... would be proud to own that one. Cheers, RickO

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

I viewed that coin very, very carefully at lot viewing and did not bid on it.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:

Do you remember why?

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think he would come on here and "slam" :) the coin. If I were interested I would take this John's opinion with no question.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2016 12:11PM

A very pretty Dollar ...what was the hammer price ?

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Sticker remorse?

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

Sticker remorse?

What did the poster see that CAC and PCGS did not ?

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@epcjimi1 said:

Sticker remorse?

JA stickered the coin, yet would not bid on it. Maybe it was price? Who knows. Who cares.

@bestday said:

@epcjimi1 said:

Sticker remorse?

Again, I have not seen the coin in-hand and I am also a supporter of both CAC and PCGS, but just because a coin has successfully navigated through both services doesn't mean everyone has to like it or, alternatively, that it meets the personal standards of each buyer. There are numerous coins that are certified by PCGS and have received a sticker from CAC that leave me cold and I would not buy. It appears that this coin might fall into that camp for CRO.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we all wanted the same coins, imagine the price of those few....and the poor forgotten others, with nobody to bid on them.

Easily distracted Type Collector

I'll go out on a limb to attempt to clear something up that might be confusing to some folks, while at the same time I may muddle up the thread even more. The way I am reading this thread, it looks as though some folks might think that our CoinRaritiesOnline (JA) is the same person as CAC (JA). They are two different folks who share the same initials. Therefore, there would be no "sticker remorse" and no failing to bid upon a coin that was stickered by that very same person.

Hopefully, that might have cleared things up for some without pushing the thread off the rails.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinRaritiesOnline = John Agre
    CAC = John Albanese

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 4:02AM

My guess is that it is the rub on the face that was distracting when the coin was seen in person. This would not affect the grade but to some would detract from the eye appeal. I say this based upon having purchased, based upon a photo, a coin that had similar rub as evident in the photos and then only when seeing the coin in hand found it distracting. The same rub as seen on the right wing and elsewhere may be easier to overlook but it can keep jumping out at you when it appears on a point of central focus such as a face.

Once you look at a coin and imagine to yourself that it looks like Liberty is wearing a mask it is hard to put that thought aside.

That said, it appears from the photos to be a very nice VF30 and some others would likely have no problem with the evident wear, especially at that grade. As the maxim goes, "eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder."

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it in circulation here in Ohio last week!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file