Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wicked "R" on this 1964-P Kennedy

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 4, 2016 11:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was looking through some of my Kennedy's the other evening, and I noticed an anomaly on the obverse "R" in Liberty, along with a small area below the "R" where some of Kennedy's hair is missing, or, faint. The tail of the "R" in particular is pointed, and thinner than a typical "R" on a problem free '64 Kennedy. The tail of the "R" looks like a pick; and it doesn't have the length of the standard "R," or, even the curvature. My first thoughts were some of the detail on hair was missing because of a grease filled die; however, the tail on the "R" has me perplexed. I've looked at the "R" with a 16x loop and it looks like a couple of cuts forming the tail. It is hard to see, and that detail I can't pick up with camera.

Below are pictures of a typical "R" on Liberty compared to "R" with the pick like tail. I also posted other pictures with different lighting. Have any of you seen anything like this? What do you think- grease filled, re-engraved, or, other?

Thanks, Rich

Normal

Pick Tail

Pick Tail

Pick Tail

Pick Tail

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty neat! Looks like a die that was abraded or polished, and removed a lot of the details. A good find!

----- kj
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since Ikes have the Peg Leg, I'd call this the anorexic leg

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2016 4:01PM

I've heard of this before. Never seen it in-hand though. Nice find.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

@tincup said:
    Pretty neat! Looks like a die that was abraded or polished, and removed a lot of the details. A good find!

Thanks tincup. I didn't consider abraded, or, polished. I was thinking more "fill" with perhaps grease in die preventing detail but your explanation makes sense. Cool!

@CascadeChris said:
    Since Ikes have the Peg Leg, I'd call this the anorexic leg

I reviewed the "Ike Group" website to find the Peg Leg Ike, and the site is truly a great source of info. http://www.ikegroup.info/?p=1 From their determination of the "Peg Leg" with the IKE- they indicate "Design Variety," and "Die State" variety and differentiating from the two. I'd conclude this is a "Die State" variety. That said, you think I ought to send this out to a variety expert? It looks like the tail of the "R" is re-engraved. Should mean something?

@mt_msla said:
    I've heard of this before. Never seen it in-hand though. Nice find.

Thanks! There's all kind of goodies out there- look through what you have, and you might be surprised!

Rich

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it's a cool variety. I have seen a few similar over the years.
    The catch is coming up with a cool, catchy name for the variety (think: Bugs Bunny, Hot Lips, etc.) that will ensure popularity.
    That, and they have to be common enough to promote.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not noticed that variety yet.... I mostly search for AH's, however, I do have many Kennedy's... will add that to my snowy day check list... hmmmmm it is snowing right now..... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just spent a little time looking through CoinFacts to see if there are any out there and found a few that looked like they may be similar, but I don't think they quite cut it.

• Options

The top one is close but I see some of the tail on the "R." I put in a request for submission to CONECA along with my 2016-D Roosevelt's DDR's to get them in their listings too. So, hopefully, updates coming.

Thanks,

Rich

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file