Home Precious Metals
Options

Could this dramatically increase silver demand?

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article. The available power per weight is worth going after. They should be looking at platinum coated electrodes. Since they are already starting to go commercial and already have 100 patents, my guess is that this battery design will indeed start to increase silver demand over time.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will any electronic application for silver ever exceed the demand for novelty silver fetish items in various neat shapes and sizes?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:
    Will any electronic application for silver ever exceed the demand for novelty silver fetish items in various neat shapes and sizes?

Not as long as "we" live in fear of "them".

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at it all wrong. I should've been paying closer attention to the aggregate paranoid novelty silver fetish demand instead of monetary and fiscal policy!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2016 8:48PM

I'm paranoid about all of it, and have no way of predicting the future, or what assets will be in fashion when the time comes to sell. So I have my share of silver fetish items, and gold fetish items, but I'm also diversified and have other fetish items too

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    I'm paranoid about all of it, and have no way of predicting the future, or what assets will be in fashion when the time comes to sell. So I have my share of silver fetish items, and gold fetish items, but I'm also diversified and have other fetish items too

I think we all would enjoy some pictures, this is beginning to sound interesting ;)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2016 6:02PM

No dramatic increase in demand if we're talking about very small hearing aid batteries that are expected to withstand 1,000 discharge cycles.

Find an economical way to apply it to mass produced electric cars and then we'll see an impact on silver demand.

But then again will "they" allow demand to influence the price of silver. lol.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Very limited market for the battery convenience of recharging. My hearing aid batteries cost 50 cents a week and need replacing about every 8 days or so ($25 per year for the pair). I carry spare batteries in my pocket and am never without hearing. With the chargers you trade off too many things. You need to charge every day, need to carry your charger anytime you are out of the house like traveling. The cost of the charging system and batteries is prohibitive in my opinion. If I had no functional use of my fingers or eyesight then perhaps this would be very beneficial. The aids need to be retrofitted to use these batteries as the battery doors currently in use do not work with zpower batteries. If the charger system fails or you forget to take it with you, you are out of luck as you cannot go back to the regular batteries now being used (wrong battery compartment size. Otherwise, not so.
    Keep an eye on them though as they may work through these problems and their silver batts may be used in other industries and applications.

PS: retired Audiologist here.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@derryb said:
    No dramatic increase in demand if we're talking about very small hearing aid batteries that are expected to withstand 1,000 discharge cycles.

Find an economical way to apply it to mass produced electric cars and then we'll see an impact on silver demand.

But then again will "they" allow demand to influence the price of silver. lol.

You seem to know what they do all they time, so tell me.

The world uses a lot of batteries today and demand grows exponentially. Is this technology viable for larger size batteries?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is one area of technological advancement and high profit potential, it is batteries...... they are becoming necessary in so many areas - but particularly in our mobile lifestyles - i.e. phones/computers etc.. Deep discharge/quick recharge - preferably solar... etc, etc, etc.. What opportunities for enterprising young engineers and entrepreneurs.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Anything is possible. Who would have thought digital photography would have wiped out such a demand for silver ?