Home Precious Metals
Options

Donald Trump insults mainland China today; will it have any effect on markets on Monday?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today Donald Trump took a congratulatory phone call from the President of Taiwan. No U.S. President, and darn little else of the U.S. government, has done so since 1979. The People's Republic of China is furious.

Will the PRC retaliate by cashing in some of its U.S. bonds, or at least refusing to buy any more? Will the recent rise in the U.S. dollar abruptly reverse itself? Will the recent drop in gold reverse itself?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Another not so subtle political thread.

Agreed, to think a phone call would affect the markets is a pretty big stretch. I just googled it and I didn't see any articles mentioning that China is furious...?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2016 6:37PM

it may or may not be in the news, but the Chinese won't like it.

I don't see much risk to the markets as the Chinese need someplace to park their money and our market is one of the big places.

the biggest risk is to Taiwan. The Chinese told the UK they'll have HK back or else. It was the same with Portugal and Macao. While there is no one holding Taiwan, and few countries even recognize it as a country (USA does not), they could always do or else. However, many Taiwanese businesses moved to China for cost reasons. About all that Taiwan has is a large foreign currency collection and the business' headquarters. (some fishing and earthquakes, too. I almost forgot the mudslides and high humidity plus dirty buildings.)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

No mention of China being insulted or furious, it talks about potentially but China hasn't commented yet.
    I see it does mention the sale of 1.8 billion in weapons sale from 2015 ;) Although it was a minor blimp.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Careful there Capt, we'd miss you ;)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Welcome to Jerry Springer world

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

PCGS does not equal politics....

• Options

Another report:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/03/trump-angers-beijing-with-provocative-phone-call-to-taiwan-president

My wife worked for the State Department for over 25 years. She understands how the Chinese would react to something like this, and they ain't happy no matter what they might or might not have said...yet.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

China has been so wonderful! Building new "reefs" in the South China Sea, testing new hypersonic missiles and debuting war tech after war tech , all stolen from us.

Why would we doing anything to anger our beautiful masters???

You have forgotten how real power works after 8 years of Mom Jeans. How about we pick up the phone from anyone we damn well please?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who hasn't he insulted?

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was he supposed to ignore the call??? I would wager the current administration takes calls as well.... perhaps they just do not get publicized.....Hmmm publicized.... yep, looks like the media is making sure any potentially negative news gets visibility..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

The U.S. State Department scrupulously avoids any official contact with Taiwan. I have a friend I grew up with who went to work with the State Department after college. When he was up for a tour of duty in Taiwan in the 1980's, he had to formally resign from the State Department, work there four years as a private civilian, and then after he returned to Washington D.C. formally apply to be rehired. These are the rules of the game.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Capt chastises for political posts. Payback?

This topic certainly has gotten off he market impact talk.

Market impact - none. All they did was file a complaint.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@CaptHenway...Who paid your friend's wages?? That seems very strange... sort of a cover up.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when Obama kept his Blackberry phone against the advice of the state department. Then the stock went from $138 to under $8.
    Let's hope Chinese food drops in price like that. :).

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Americans continue to buy Chinese made products by the cartload.

• Options

the same country who allows knock off coins to enter our market. Anger away mfers.

"I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options

Tempest in a teapot.... Chinese tea at that.... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@PerryHall said:
    Another not so subtle political thread.

Agreed, to think a phone call would affect the markets is a pretty big stretch. I just googled it and I didn't see any articles mentioning that China is furious...?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/739482/China-official-complaint-Donald-Trump-Taiwan-phone-call

I think this is small now but with the capacity to affect metals prices hugely.
    China owns a lot of gold and even MORE US debt.

If Trump decides to tweak the Chinese, all the gold pooh-pooh'ers on here are going to be TRYING to liquidate dreck to buy bullion.

Or so I firmly believe.

When I saw that in the news yesterday, it reassured me of the desirability of having an enormous stash of bullion AND .....good coins.

Nowadays,,,,,EVERYTHING is political and don't you forget it. B)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the beginning stage of a negotiation to me. Trump's bold position - "sure, I'll take the phone call."

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2016 1:45PM

Political threads disguised as being pertinent really suck.
    People just can't get politics, and wanting to push their views, out of other people's lives......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably quit buying US debt. . . oops, they already did that.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Current "One-China" Policy:
    1: Don't SAY anything to upset them. The list is long an complex.
    2: Don't DO anything to upset them. The list is long an complex.
    3: The U.S cannot just call just anyone they please. Check with China consulate BEFORE dialing.
    4: China will hack who and what they please! Your getting your big political donations as promised so keep your pie hole shut.
    5: China will steal state and corporate secrets as they please. You sold your soul to save a few bucks on gadgets, so it's not like we believe you really care ("look over here...Pokemon!")

I hope Trump rains down uncertainty and fear on a militant, inflated and arrogant Chinese ego. And I hope that spurns them to buy SILVER!

Loves me some shiny!