Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878-cc strike through

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always remembered that the Norweb coin had a distinctive mark near the 4th star

http://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/60170712_1279595_2200.jpg

And now I came across this coin proving something was adhering to the die

https://www.lccoins.com/type-coins/trade-dollars/certified-en-29/1878-cc-trade-dollar-genuine-scratch-au-details-pcgs.html

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

The debris, likely wood, is changing with each strike. It adhered to the die and each strike seems to be eroding it?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great catch. The size and shape of the object is nearly identical, which supports the theory that this was a piece of something (wood I would guess) that floated between the strikes.

Very impressive observation.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:

@AUandAG said:
    The debris, likely wood, is changing with each strike. It adhered to the die and each strike seems to be eroding it?

bob

I could agree with this explanation with my little knowledge of the minting process. But they are in different locations and the sizes are definitely different.

This is fine. First strike through deformed the wood and it stuck to the die, but perhaps slid a bit. Subsequent strikes created nearly, but not completely, identical strike-thrus until the offending piece of wood was liberated from the coining chamber. The same thing happens with mint schmutz (or perhaps, after lunch, schmaltz).

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 2:15PM

What a beauty of a coin (Norweb)!

http://images.pcgs.com/trueview/60170712

Looks like a DDR as well! Pick Up Point: "420 Grains"

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned above, given that the rectangular area
    didn't change size very much at all, I'd agree it was
    probably a small wood chip.

Given how many of these I saw at the West Point Mint
    when I examined the "CC" dollar hoard for the GSA,
    (and how many are still out there with an actual small
    piece of wood still on the coin), I'm not surprised to see
    a Trade Dollar with the same error type from that Mint.

It's the first T.D. I recall like this, but I'd guess there should
    be a few more out there -maybe a few from this striking,
    and a few others of all dates.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm quite sure they are in the same place, and that the photography angle could be slightly different. Below is the animated overlay photo.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

going through """fresh from the mint""" boxes of new small dollars, I have seen strike-throughs "move." I'd call it a common enough thing.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658...excellent overlay display...
    Thanks Fred, for your input... confirming the wood chip theory.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the overlay above the debris is not touching the star and in one photo it clearly is.....maybe the woods expanded as it was struck?

• Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

There are a number of possible explanations. It certainly could be a piece of "wood" as sawdust and corn cob was commonly used to dry planchets after whitening and rinse. It could also be a metal fragment. It is not unusual for material adhering to dies to change shape from the presssure of striking or even to grow larger or smaller as additional material adheres or some flakes off.

One of the best examples is the J63 through J105 Starless reverse group of Gobrecht dollar Cabinet Coins with the low spot at F of OF. IN that car lapping compound or some sort of grease combined with harder material was adhering to the die, some additional material initially stuck fast, and in subsequent striking it began to be smashed and flake off.

See gobechtdollars.com for a full explanation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file