Home Precious Metals
Options

I Put My Money Where My Mouth Is - Bought the 100 oz RCM off eBat

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 30, 2016 8:25AM in Precious Metals

I don't like buying silver. I think it's headed lower generally. Yesterday or the day before I posted I think there will be risk off and stocks down, PMs up.

in @ 16.93

with 100oz I hope we see 17.75 and not 14.25 :open_mouth:

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not happening as I type....exactly the opposite though.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did ok. This is a good price range to buy silver in my opinion.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent long term hold.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb said:

I hope long term only means a few weeks....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2016 9:03AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

unfortunately, not. Your only hope for short term is a "no rate increase" policy by the FED on Dec. 16. Longshot, but a good contrarian possibility. Otherwise look for mid-2017 to provide a good, profitable exit on the bar.

Rising premiums on the tubes of silver eagles are making them impossible to find a bargain at these lower silver prices.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the purchase. Safe place to park some cash for the long road.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stackers usually relax while the dust builds up.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd stash it and forget you bought it. :)

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

never understood the concept of short term physical

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2016 12:39PM

@carew4me said:

agree. any short term price spike usually results in better intermediate term prices and possibly even better long term prices.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@carew4me said:

agree. any short term price spike usually results in better intermediate term prices and possibly even better long term prices.

That may have been true in the past, but not so since 2011. In today's economy, you must take advantage of any short term spike in order to come out ahead.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

a short term spike needs to be big enough to cover the expenses of disposing of physical metal. even if sold to a local dealer there is the lower dealer buy price to be considered as a seller "expense."

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

unfortunately, not. Your only hope for short term is a "no rate increase" policy by the FED on Dec. 16. Longshot, but a good contrarian possibility. Otherwise look for mid-2017 to provide a good, profitable exit on the bar.

Rising premiums on the tubes of silver eagles are making them impossible to find a bargain at these lower silver prices.

Is $.50 over spot for a MB of 2016s high?

what would be a bargain price?

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

Every time silver dips I say this. All it means is that the spreads on physical vs. paper are getting farther apart. I find it amusing that anyone at this point in the game would still think that paper traded metals have any real baring on physical. (not saying you do derryb) I mean they do of course but after I just paid $211 for a 1 oz art bar with a known mintage of 10...and now I have 3 of the 10, I did not care one bit about whatever Spot was at the time of that purchase.
    For those who only want to deal with generics because they more closely follow paper traded, I wish them luck. It's a losing battle that is only going to get harder to play with Trumps more widely accepted economic policies. The market has already proven that and he's not even sworn in yet. Does anyone think that is a good sign for PM's? Again, I wish those of you playing that game luck. I've moved on to "collectable bullion" rather than chasing Spot to make some gas money.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2016 6:56PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

Is $.50 over spot for a MB of 2016s high?

what would be a bargain price?

.50 over spot for MB is very low (please post the source), but the going rate is minimum of $2.50 over spot. I was referring to buying 20 coin tubes. I normally buy my tubes off ebay when I can get them for around $1 over spot when earning bonus bucks. Those have become very scarce lately. Declining has been requiring short term holders/sellers to jack premiums to help reduce their loss. More reason to not buy physical for short term if looking for profit.

• Options

@derryb said:
    a short term spike needs to be big enough to cover the expenses of disposing of physical metal. even if sold to a local dealer there is the lower dealer buy price to be considered as a seller "expense."

Of course.

It was either that or a gold coin with the 8% eBat Bucks today

Unfortunately, I incorrectly assumed the price was a discounted one ending at 11am eastern. Had I known the deal would have lasted through today, I would have waited. :s

• Options

didn't make it up to where I needed it, did it? oops.

plus the market did not go risk off, it stayed in rally mode. oops.

• Options

Bought some gold in the $1150 range and sold the 100 oz and gold recently.

Nice catch and release.

With gold and silver at these levels, I've been passing on the bucks offers.

I still have an ounce of gold I bought at $1250. I think I'm going to gift it to the in-law next meeting.