Home U.S. Coin Forum

What coins must U.S. Mint stop selling Dec. 31st??

I have not been paying attention but was there some recent legislation concerning sales of coins ending Dec. 31st of production year?? Is this all products or just some issues??

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

They make the rules , since they got the gold. :).

• Yes but what are the rules??

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

That is a good question. There are a couple of coins the mint is selling right now that I would have more interest in, if I knew that they would quit selling on Dec. 31st whether they have reached their max. mintage or not.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe all of the commems issued this year...At least that used to be the case.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 8:16PM

By Dec 31st I'm Pretty sure they have to stop _minting _the 2016 American Silver Eagle -- both the Proof and Uncirculated versions with one-year-only edge lettering.

Not sure when they'll stop selling 'em.

Release date for the Uncirculated ASE is Dec 1st. Normally, I believe it's released in the 1st quarter. So, I'm guessing it'll be low mintage.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2manycoins2fewfunds said:
    Yes but what are the rules??

The rules are subject to change as needed. :smiley:

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Parks commems are looking like there will be a couple of potential winners in that bunch.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

@kiyote said:
    Those Parks commems are looking like there will be a couple of potential winners in that bunch.

Agreed.

Last I checked, actual sales of the Park Service Uncirculated gold was only 3,376.

A loser... or a future rarity?

Also look at the Mark Twain Uncirculated gold (5,389). Feel-good bonus: $35/coin supports several worthwhile institutions: http://catalog.usmint.gov/mark-twain-2016-5-gold-uncirculated-coin-16CJ.html?cgid=commemoratives#start=1

Tip: If you're buying any gold from the Mint, wait until Thursday. The prices should drop a bit to reflect current spot gold.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 2:28AM

Both the Twain and NPS commems should be off-sale Dec 30.

There is a good chance all 30th Anniversary ASE's will come off sale on the 30th as well. The law is very specific (after the 30th Anniversary clause in the FAST Act sunsets at the end of the calendar year) that ASE's must have a reeded edge.

In Dec of last year, the Mint removed all reeded edge collector ASE's from the market due to the FAST Act stating that all ASE's much have a smooth edge. They were already minted, but due to the law's wording, the Mint discontinued sales. By that same reasoning, the 2016 collector ASE's should do the same.

This would include the Proof ASE, Uncirc ASE, the Reagan C&C set, the LE Silver Proof set, the uncirc dollar set and the congrats set.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@kiyote said:

Agreed.

Last I checked, actual sales of the Park Service Uncirculated gold was only 3,376.

Also look at the Mark Twain Uncirculated gold (5,389). Feel-good bonus: $35/coin supports several worthwhile institutions: http://catalog.usmint.gov/mark-twain-2016-5-gold-uncirculated-coin-16CJ.html?cgid=commemoratives#start=1

Tip: If you're buying any gold from the Mint, wait until Thursday. The prices should drop a bit to reflect current spot gold.

If the Park unc goes dark on at year's end and there is no buying rush it will kill Jackie. Does it "have" to go off sale then? Definitely worth watching. Any of you all stocking up on it anticipating it's being the new $5 key?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

@Raufus said:

@COCollector said:

@kiyote said:

Agreed.

If the Park unc goes dark on at year's end and there is no buying rush it will kill Jackie. Does it "have" to go off sale then? Definitely worth watching. Any of you all stocking up on it anticipating it's being the new $5 key?

I'm keeping an eye on that one. In addition, the unc half dollar Park has the lowest mintage by far for any modern commem. half dollar issued.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Both the Twain and NPS commems should be off-sale Dec 30.

There is a good chance all 30th Anniversary ASE's will come off sale on the 30th as well. The law is very specific (after the 30th Anniversary clause in the FAST Act sunsets at the end of the calendar year) that ASE's must have a reeded edge.

In Dec of last year, the Mint removed all reeded edge collector ASE's from the market due to the FAST Act stating that all ASE's much have a smooth edge. They were already minted, but due to the law's wording, the Mint discontinued sales. By that same reasoning, the 2016 collector ASE's should do the same.

This would include the Proof ASE, Uncirc ASE, the Reagan C&C set, the LE Silver Proof set, the uncirc dollar set and the congrats set.

That initially was my thinking and it would set up some VERY interesting potential sales numbers especially for the Dollar Set which would only have two weeks of sales...

So..I asked the Mint when they would go off sale and got this response:

"Please be advised that while we cannot guarantee product availability following an item's release, the item will remain on sale until inventory is depleted. "

It looked like a general response (didn't mention the specific product inquired about) so take it with a grain of salt.....I hope it's bogus

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that sounds believable. Honestly I think there is not a lot of traction on the $5 gold uncs. Who really cares other than for a possible attempted flip? They look alright but really in 2 years or more time, likely real collectors won't even remember it.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Raufus said:

@COCollector said:

@kiyote said:

Agreed.

I'm keeping an eye on that one. In addition, the unc half dollar Park has the lowest mintage by far for any modern commem. half dollar issued.

Which unc Park are you referring to? The unc silver or clad? And which of the NPS? Thanks!

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969

@chiefbob said:

@OPA said:

@Raufus said:

@COCollector said:

@kiyote said:

Agreed.

Which unc Park are you referring to? The unc silver or clad? And which of the NPS? Thanks!

There is only one unc half...& it's struck clad

@BigA said:

Okay, I'll ask the stupid question.

Will anyone care?

I suppose it's a cheap enough gamble, but there's something about spending $25 for a common clad half that makes me itch.

I was going to post the complete sales data in a couple of weeks for both commems, but maybe I'll get to them sooner...

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Previous year unc. gold commem issues often showed marked increases in orders leading into year end. But don't get cute with the Mint. They can suspend sales at any time, ending other issues just before 12/31 without notice.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Pretty to find an MS70 $5 park that's not crazy priced right now.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

So who thinks the edge letters ASE's will go off sale at years end?

The more you VAM..

@CascadeChris said:
    So who thinks the edge letters ASE's will go off sale at years end?

I really don't know. The mint has been less than consistent for the past couple of years, so I'm hoping they'll announce something soon. (Or maybe one of the numis press people who have connections in the mint could find out... Just in case any of them are reading this... ;)) It seems unlikely the burnished ASE will be available for only 30 days, and the uncirculated dollar set for 16 days.

However, the law is very clear that all ASE's must have a reeded edge, and the clause in the FAST Act declaring collector ASE's have a smooth edge sunsets at the end of the calendar year.

There is some ambiguity about the wording of the law about whether the already minted ASE's can remain on sale, but last December the Mint make the decision that the enacted law required them to cease sales of all reeded edge (collector) ASE's in 2016. That precedent says the Mint will stop selling smooth edge collector ASE's at the end of the year.

Interestingly, there's nothing to stop the mint from putting the 2013-2015 ASE products they took off-sale last December back on sale. If they do terminate the 2016 ASE at the end of the year, those could make interesting stop gap products until they have the 2017's ready... :smiley:

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭

parks gold uncirculated at 3456 is kind of low with only a month left on sales. Could it become the lowest mintage yet. Keep an eye on it last day of sales.

@pf70collector said:
    parks gold uncirculated at 3456 is kind of low with only a month left on sales. Could it become the lowest mintage yet. Keep an eye on it last day of sales.

Note how the MS70s have totally dried up save for a couple that are way overpriced.

edited December 2, 2016 8:09AM

@Raufus said:

@pf70collector said:

Note how the MS70s have totally dried up save for a couple that are way overpriced.

That's because PCGS has only graded 90 FS MS70....FS deadline has long passed & I do not expect that population to increase by much. With that limited supply available, you're not going to encounter many for sale. lccoins, at one time , had 20 up for sale on eBay & but now has only 5 remaining

@OPA said:

@Raufus said:

@pf70collector said:

That's because PCGS has only graded 90 FS MS70....FS deadline has long passed & I do not expect that population to increase by much. With that limited supply available, you're not going to encounter many for sale. lccoins, at one time , had 20 up for sale on eBay & but now has only 5 remaining

Even very few ATS 70s.

And I think LC was initially around $460 or so as were most in the Spring.

• WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

Here’s our coverage on the Mint’s comment on the Uncirculated 2016 American Eagle silver dollar: coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2016/12/2016-uncirculated-silver-eagle-makes-late-debut.html

William T. Gibbs, Managing Editor, Coin World

The mint has announced the Twain and NPS commems will be taken off sale at Noon on Dec 29.

Coin World had a blurp where they quote Micheal White (Mint spokesperson) saying 2016 collector ASE's will continue into 2017, seemingly at a contradiction to last year's policy...

@BackroadJunkie said:
    The mint has announced the Twain and NPS commems will be taken off sale at Noon on Dec 29.

Coin World had a blurp where they quote Micheal White (Mint spokesperson) saying 2016 collector ASE's will continue into 2017, seemingly at a contradiction to last year's policy...

Another surprise: The 5 oz Roosevelt ATB is sold-out.

Why is that a surprise?

Sales were only 18,658 as of Nov 27th. And the mintage limit is 30,000.

Maybe they sold a bunch this past week. Or possibly they didn't make 30,000.

Either way I'm happy... my order shipped today.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Marshalls clad unc .50 cents are the new key, at least at the moment, but even they haven't been able to bring a buck or two over issue price.

I agree, $25 for a clad half dollar is way high.

As for the gold unc, it may be a key by such an amount it'll have to take off, even the raw ungraded ones. This is a coin that's twice as big as the Pan Pac $2.50 with what looks like a little over half the mintage. The only caveat I see if that the gold 5 Star General Unc coins, while not keys, have not taken off like I thought they would.

Either way, I'm in for one gold $5 BU coin plus a half for my registry set.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

The $5 unc park will unseat Jackie unless there is a substantial sales surge it would seem. Might b time to sell some Jackie uncs - tgough they've dropped a lot over the past few years already. Wonder how many Park uncs are minted and ready to sell. Doubt they'll strike more if sales outpace on hand coins. Anyone buying? Buying several?

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2016 12:46PM

@BackroadJunkie said:

I don't believe they are required to stop selling anything that they have on the shelf. They are still offering a number of different 2015 gold spouse coins. I do believe that they cannot strike any 2016 or any other coin that bears a date after that year ends. They are however allowed to move existing inventory beyond the end of the year.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Boys town gold unc. 2017 will have a sale number below 3000.

To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
    edited December 6, 2016 1:57PM

Plenty of sub-2000 sales in First Spouse gold -- still available from the Mint.

Check ebay sales... I've seen a few sold _below _issue price.

Maybe there'll be huge appreciation in 100 years -- like the Pan Pacific $2.5.

But they don't fit my collection. And I've no interest in the subject. So I'm not buying.

To clarify, just talking about $5 gold commems. Jackie, the current key, gas a substantial premium though lower than a few years ago.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭

National Park Service $5 Gold Unc now the lowest mintage of the series:
    Jackie Robinson: 5174
    Nat Parks: 5164

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2017 5:03AM

@Steve27 said:
    National Park Service $5 Gold Unc now the lowest mintage of the series:
    Jackie Robinson: 5174
    Nat Parks: 5164

The mint reports production numbers for commemorative coins on Tuesdays by 5:00 ET every week. There's a good chance this number could drop further as the mint continues to process returns.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file