Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1892 S Barber Half Dollar, some opinions?

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to view this thread. I am new to coins but am a gold prospector at heart and I often collect anything relate to precious metals and sometimes find old coins while detecting. Recently a new pawn shop near me opened up and I went in seeing if they had any bullion for sale. The woman said she just received a bunch of 90% silver coins and I bought up all of her halves and dimes at a good price. When I got home I started looking at the coins more carefully and found this one stood out to me right away, after some research I believe it is a fairly desirable coin but that's all I can assume for now.

Its for sure a 1892 S barber half dollar that I would say is in very good condition other than the blemish on the shield where it appears someone probably soldered a loop or something to it at one time and now it has been removed. I understand that this would dramatically affect the value, but to my surprise when I took it to a coin dealer near me he quickly wrote it off as being worth melt value, around $6. I have a very hard time believing this and I was hoping for some opinions on this from others. Here are some photo of the coin, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, welcome to the boards!

It's a shame, the obverse of your coin is really nice and has "the look" that a lot of Barber collectors desire. The bigger issue to me on the reverse isn't the solder (which depending on the composition, might be removable) but the rim damage above AMERICA. Even with the damage, the coin is worth way more than melt, but I'll let someone better versed in the series give you a price.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

didn't LordM or another member here have solder removed from a coin and it looked beautiful? I think it was okay because solder had a lower melting temp than the silver.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice "find" but ex-jewelry. Don't expect too much but better than bullion. There are some album fillers that would like this coin.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't sell it for melt.
    It's a damaged coin to be sure but a popular date and with no damage on the obverse it is more marketable.
    That is the type of coin that would do well on eBay as a 99c auction.
    You will definitely net more than melt.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's damage on the reverse in addition to the solder. I agree that it's a good coin to auction on eBay. If not for the damage it would be a $400 coin. Somebody will likely pay $50 for it to put in an album.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a good hole filler. Very nice looking obverse will make it good for someone who maybe couldn't afford a nice coin like that if it wasn't damaged. I agree put it on ebay you may be surprised what it goes for.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdemartile .... Welcome aboard....Nice old coin... too bad about the damage. If you put it on the BST or ebay, please PM me.... I like old coins like that and since I am a collector and not a dealer, would add that one to my collection.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options

Wow thank you all so much for your comments and a warm welcome! It sure beats the rude attitude I received by the coin dealer I brought it to lol. When he said it was worth melt the that is when I knew it was pointless to continue the conversation or trying to prove otherwise to him, yes I understand it is damaged but like many of you have said I'm sure to someone it is worth more than that. I hold no real sentimental value towards it and would like to see it go to someone in need if the price is right or I will list on ebay otherwise as suggested. If anyone is interested in this piece id be happy to entertain offers by PM before I go that route.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 12:27PM

Welcome! Former tie-tac I think.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay is the way to go ... and as quickly as possible. Damaged coins like that have no future in a declining coin market. If you want to try selling it here it belongs on the BST (Buy, Sell, Trade) with a price stated. Don't expect any big offers from the members of this forum as they know damaged coins only sell if heavily discounted.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Gotcha, ebay it is then, will list it tonight, thank you.

• Options

Decided to keep it, I think I have a new addiction :'( went back to the pawn shop and bought all the 90% quarters I didn't get yesterday and again lucked out. Paid a little over half spot silver weight for all and included was a 1917 S T2 Standing Liberty and a 1899 Barber. The standing liberty is in about the same shape as the barber half in the first post of the thread but no flaws, the barber quarter is very circulated but can still read the date. I don't know how shes doing her math on the coins but my calculator on .900 sliver for a quarter at 6.25 grams was a hair over $3 a piece and she sold them to me for $1.74 each.. Hopefully they will remain in business lol

I gave them my info if they come across any more coins, I really hope to hear from them again!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

So......where's this pawn shop? lol

• Options

It just opened up a few weeks ago, all that is left of their coins are bout 10 or so 40% Kennedys halves and some unknown Canadian coins.. Do I dare go back tomorrow lol.. Not much rarity curve with the Kennedys that I can see unless im missing something but could probably get them for next to nothing at this rate..

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 6:42AM

Jeff, I see it as a $600 coin if problem free and have sold several at that level! I wager that coin would sell for a minimum of $150 in an ebay auction!

Edit to add...I would pay $150 for that coin!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone is willing to pay $150 for that coin ...take the money and run!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Just wanted to say that Ive decided to list this coin on ebay here ebay.com/itm/252733606509?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649. Thanks for the incite everyone!

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 9:01AM

Simply, incredible that some responses here suggested a key date in Barber Halves was just basically bullion. It would be no different than calling damaged 1804 dimes or 1870-cc quarters "bullion." I've owned heavily damaged examples of both of those coins in the past.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

I agree roadrunner, I decided to let this coin go as im not a collector and want to see it go to someone that will cherish it for what it really is.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Don't sell it for melt, it is a nice coin to have as a hole-filler until you find a better coin. Advice: Don't hold the coin on it's surfaces like you are doing in the picture. Hold if by the edge.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file